Grog And Losing Face

Candyman
Posted
Posted

Police nabbed for pal’s deathBy Justin K. VestilMonday, February 6, 2012CEBU CITY -- After being called worthless, an off-duty policeman shot and killed his drinking buddy and injured a four-year-old boy in Mandaue City Sunday afternoon.Police Officer 2 Rosendo Cabrera, 48, was arrested by operatives of the Basak Police Station after he attempted to evade arrest by hiding in Barangay Mantuyong, in the same city.Cabrera, a beat patrol policeman assigned in the Centro Police Station, was arrested for allegedly shooting his neighbor Remedios Iran, 42, while they were drinking near their homes in Barangay Tabok, Mandaue at 4:30 p.m. Sunday.post-77-0-14982000-1328517084.jpgCEBU. Police Officer 2 Rosendo Cabrera in front of Chief Inspector Jimmy Aguisanda of the Mandaue City Police Office. (Allan Cuizon)post-77-0-01667500-1328517082.jpgCEBU. Investigators from the Scene of the Crime Operations search the scene in Barangay Tabok, Mandaue City, where Remedios Iran was shot dead, allegedly by his friend and neighbor, Police Officer 2 Rosendo Cabrera. (Allan Cuizon)A stray bullet from Cabrera’s .45 service pistol hit a four-year-old boy’s left ankle.Moments before the attack, Iran reportedly argued with Cabrera while having drinks.DrinkingInspector Wilson Abot, Basak Police Station chief, told reporters Cabrera and Iran had helped each other cement a pathway between their two houses, and after their work was done, they decided to relax by drinking in a nearby store.A few rounds of drinks later, Cabrera and Iran allegedly began arguing. Before anyone could intervene, the policeman allegedly pulled out his service firearm from his hip and started shooting Iran several times.Iran died immediately.Six empty shells fired from a .45 pistol were found in the crime scene.A four-year-old boy who happened to be passing by got hit in his ankle. The boy was rushed to the Mandaue City District Hospital and was declared out of danger.After shooting Iran, Cabrera fled.InsultedAbot and his operatives arrested Cabrera as he was about to flee toward Barangay Mantuyong.Cabrera, in a separate interview, admitted to shooting Iran.He told reporters his neighbor called him a “worthless policeman.”“Giingnan ko niya nga wala kuno koy hinungdan na pulis,” Cabrera said.Cabrera, who has been a policeman for 22 years, said that was the first time he was involved in a misdemeanor.But Iran’s family told Sun.Star Cebu Sunday that Cabrera has a reputation for acting out when drunk.Regner Iran, the victim’s eldest son, revealed that last Christmas, Cabrera threatened to shoot his father.Cabrera was drunk at that time, the son claimed.To protect his father, Regner armed himself with a knife, in case Cabrera threatened Iran again.FatherRegner revealed that Cabrera had a good relationship with his father, as long as he was sober.“Kung mahubog man gud na siya, magmaoy man gud na (Whenever he (Cabrera) gets drunk, he runs amuck),” Regner said.He added he thought of Cabrera as a second father.Now, he and his family plan to file a case against Cabrera.Chief Inspector Jimmy Aguisanda, Mandaue City Police Office (MCPO) duty officer of the day, told reporters that Cabrera tested positive in a liquor test and will undergo a paraffin test to determine if he really fired a pistol recently.His service firearm will also be subjected to a ballistic test, which will show if the bullets that hit Iran were fired from it.Aguisanda added there will be no special treatment in handling Cabrera’s case.“Even if he is a policeman, he will be treated like any other crime suspect,” he added. (Sun.Star Cebu)Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 06, 2012.Full Story Here : http://www.sunstar.c...-s-death-204518

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It would be interesting to know the death toll from drunken Filipino Police each year. Seems a weekly occurrence.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
It would be interesting to know the death toll from drunken Filipino Police each year
Why is it that only the drunken ones have bullets for their guns?
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
It would be interesting to know the death toll from drunken Filipino Police each year
Why is it that only the drunken ones have bullets for their guns?
For the same reason sober police miss the perp and only hit bystanders when discharging their service arms in the line of duty.This topic is important for new guys to Philippines to know. The one thing I fear most in Philippines is the police. Drunk policemen are by far the most dangerous thing a Foreigner would come across over there.
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Cabrera, who has been a policeman for 22 years, said that was the first time he was involved in a misdemeanor.
So that is what you call murder here in the Phils ....... a misdemeanor ....... interesting no wonder so many people get killed here ......
  • Like 1

Candyman
Posted
Posted

I make myself extremely scarce whenever there is a party involving grog in the Philippines ! I have had a couple of very close calls with Filipinos drinking, and as i don't drink myself, there is really nothing much there for me. I would rather spend the time with the women, and drinking coke or coffee, and staying out of trouble !

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I make myself extremely scarce whenever there is a party involving grog in the Philippines ! I have had a couple of very close calls with Filipinos drinking, and as i don't drink myself, there is really nothing much there for me. I would rather spend the time with the women, and drinking coke or coffee, and staying out of trouble !
I'm with you Candyman. The few times I felt unsafe or in a bad situation were when accosted by drunken Filipinos. I made the mistake of buying a local triskad driver a big Red Horse early one evening. Later when I returned home about 9PM I was surrounded by a drunk group of his friends asking for "theirs". I very politely told them I was out of cash and that my wife was going to very angry if I did not return quickly. Smiles all around but it was a tense at situation at first because I didn't know how it would shake out.
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

It would be interesting to know the death toll from drunken Filipino Police each year. Seems a weekly occurrence.

After reading this and going back over what i have seen, This EVENT occurs about once every 4-6 weeks,

death toll? cant recall the exact number .ANY NUMBER IS TOO MUCH,

shame on those who allow this to continue

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The murder rate in the Phills is about 5 per 100,000 of the population. Quite high in the world rankings.

• Like 2

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

As all said, keep away from drunk filipinos. Policemen or not does not matter!!! These people have very sesitive feelings when drunk and the macho attitude just pops up just like a firework. How they will react...God knows but for sure not peacefuly and you might win over him on hands or with a knife or whatever, if you do not kill him then he comes back with a dozen of his "friends" to revenge. I am not that much of a rambo to deal with a dozen people armed with guns and knifes and all of them want to kill you...Are you? If not, keep away!!!

Civilized ones are easier and ok but takes you long time to know who is who here. For the newbies, keep away!!!

• Like 3