Grog And Losing Face

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
if you do not kill him then he comes back with a dozen of his "friends" to revenge. I am not that much of a rambo to deal with a dozen people armed with guns and knifes and all of them want to kill you...Are you? If not, keep away!!! Civilized ones are easier and ok but takes you long time to know who is who here.

I have to ask, has this ever happened to you or someone you know? I've read this type of thing before but rarely have I see anything in a paper about it except for the odd story here and there that happens world wide when to much grog is involved. Not having a go at what your saying but would like to know if you or others have had some bad experience like this.

:cheersty:

• Like 2

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted
if you do not kill him then he comes back with a dozen of his "friends" to revenge. I am not that much of a rambo to deal with a dozen people armed with guns and knifes and all of them want to kill you...Are you? If not, keep away!!! Civilized ones are easier and ok but takes you long time to know who is who here.

I have to ask, has this ever happened to you or someone you know? I've read this type of thing before but rarely have I see anything in a paper about it except for the odd story here and there that happens world wide when to much grog is involved. Not having a go at what your saying but would like to know if you or others have had some bad experience like this.

No the exact incident has not happened to me. All my "bad" experiences were limited in the first two-three years i lived here. I have seen it happening though, to another foreigner here, he got lucky to get away with a couple of days in the hospital out of beating. He was luckily not killed due to the subdivision he lives in and the neighbors shouting that the police is on the way, they wanted to slate his throat and leave him moaning like a pig as they were screaming.

in short the story goes as such, the kano had a filipina girlfirend she 45 he 65. They fight he kicks her out, she returns after a few days. He takes her in the house but there comes later in the night a drunk filipino boyfriend (big guy, construction worker full of muscles) she claims is the guy who courted her in these days they were apart...The kano goes out of the house and starts saying to the guy, f*ck off out of here you *^*^ and all the related cosmetic words. The drunk pinoy gives a couple of punches to the kano, the kano goes in the house and comes out with a knife. The filipino runs away only to come back with 6 others 5-10 min after...the rest you know already.

The moral of the story is not who was right or wrong but how a filipino will react in the case of a fight. There was no drinking together incident among them but as for that part read this latest incident http://www.philstar.com/nation/article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=65&articleId=834687

• Like 1

Ashanti
Posted
Posted (edited)

i could very well believe you Joe ............... unfortunately, this is the common charming qualities of the filipino males :rolleyes: They are not very good with a drink and most cannot handle it. i dont know if its genetics or something or because most are normally retiring when sober and the banked down angst is freed when drunk. While some will just sleep it off.

We went to greek cruise which was staffed by 50% filipinos. It was really great for me at the same time a bit awkward. It was great because the filipino staff acknowledged me as "kababayan" and they kept plying me with filipino foods which they cooked themselves as they dont fancy the foreign food made by the Chef. So the filipino staff have their own filipino provisions and cooked their own meals. And throughout the day, i have some filipino knocking at our room bringing me food. It was awkward because my husband was getting pissed off with the carrying on esp as i would have no more appetite for the food when we sit down for dinner. I couldnt say no the filipinos as they were awfully nice and happy to bring me some to our room. It seems words have gone round to the filipino staff that i will be look after as there is always someone to take on the slack when one is on ship duty.

At one of our exchanges of tall stories, they mentioned that an ex filipino staff had gone wild last year. Apparently, they were drinking on off duty time but the ex filipino staff was so drunk and caused a big fight in the ship and was taken off board. Since then, the staff are no longer allowed to buy drinks at the duty free shop. Yes, you can guess what happened next - they requested me to buy them a bottle at the duty free as they want to celebrate someones Bday :rolleyes: :no: :)

Edited by Ashanti
  • Like 2

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

Many years ago when i was growing up in olongapo, we would meet up at the corner sari sari store and drink beer, one of our tenants that rented the duplex, scott, a USMarine would be getting off duty about that time, and would join us for a few beers and PULUTAN. (finger food) . only problem was that he would get loud and insultive to the store owner.so to save face when he went looking for his pet dog that one night, He stopped by and had a few beers and Pulutan(his dog) ,Thats the only time i saw a Marine cry. lesson, Grog and loosing face = revenge. So be good or just dont do it..... yum yum tanks ej. :cheersty:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
luke
Posted
Posted (edited)

No the exact incident has not happened to me. All my "bad" experiences were limited in the first two-three years i lived here. I have seen it happening though, to another foreigner here, he got lucky to get away with a couple of days in the hospital out of beating. He was luckily not killed due to the subdivision he lives in and the neighbors shouting that the police is on the way, they wanted to slate his throat and leave him moaning like a pig as they were screaming.

in short the story goes as such, the kano had a filipina girlfirend she 45 he 65. They fight he kicks her out, she returns after a few days. He takes her in the house but there comes later in the night a drunk filipino boyfriend (big guy, construction worker full of muscles) she claims is the guy who courted her in these days they were apart...The kano goes out of the house and starts saying to the guy, f*ck off out of here you *^*^ and all the related cosmetic words. The drunk pinoy gives a couple of punches to the kano, the kano goes in the house and comes out with a knife. The filipino runs away only to come back with 6 others 5-10 min after...the rest you know already.

The moral of the story is not who was right or wrong but how a filipino will react in the case of a fight. There was no drinking together incident among them but as for that part read this latest incident http://www.philstar....rticleId=834687

Almost a daily occurance here Metro Manila. Occasionally with foreigner involved but most of the time among pinoys. The "I did it my way" song was bant from the karaoke machines for this reason. It only takes a 6 PHP Tanduay bottle to get them to boiling point over some old dept (utang) not paid and in many cases asawa/GF issues. If you as a foreigner happen to be there, they easily take it out on you because "you not one of us" !

My few Pinoy friends/collegues all say the same: GO A MILE ARROUND IF YOU SEE SOME DRUNK PINOYS!

In my first years in Manila, one evening on EDSA, trying to sqeeze through traffic I blocked a Mercedes Sedan, My GF and her friend suddenly started sreeming: AHHH HE'S PULLING A GUN ON US. I got out of the way and the car wisked away....

Edited by luke
  • Like 2