"god Parents" For A Marriage

Curley
Posted
Posted

My girlfriend says that a Philippine marriage requires two pairs of "godparents" I've never heard of that before.... anyone else?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Absolutly common not only in Philippines but here in the States too. The God Parents are also called the Sponsors.

Curley
Posted
Posted

Common, but are they essential and what is their role please?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sponsors are often older (not always old) family or close family friends who are mature witness for the marrage. It's more or less an honor to them in return they are respected people giving a blessing to the marrage.The sponsor pair or pairs do not always have to be married to each other but each pair must be made up of a man and a woman.There is no requirement for sponsors but it could be very important to your girl and her family.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
but it could be very important to your girl and her family.
This was the case with us. My wife was very particular in who she asked, and although I did not delve into the depths of understanding the importance... I have over the years seen that she pays special attention to ensure these folks are included in most of the activities and celebrations we recognize when we are in the Philippines. Although in our case they are relatives, they are not particularly close in the western sense of the description, I think if I have this right, they are both couples, somewhere in the second cousin's parents on the family tree. I have also noticed over time that they were selected as they were a couple of the more progressive and upstanding members, possibly representing the more sophisticated side of her family. Not sure of the exact criteria she used to select them, but they are great folks (I met them at the ceremony) and my wife has much respect for them. Their selection and acceptance was one of the most important things she did in preparation for the wedding so while all cases may and will differ, my case is that these couples are VERY important to my asawa and she was very particular over who she selected t oassociate withour vows and that day. Now, that all said, I have been a "witness" for a friend in the US as it was required by law for the civil ceremony in Oregon and it was me and this other woman the guy worked with, so apparently at least in that instance, the individual really had no prefernce other than warm bodies able to sign the forms.... two extremes on the scale of importance. :thumbsup:
  • Like 4

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

The traditional role of Sponsors is to guide you through your married life.The more sponsors you have at your wedding, the more important you are.Families will also try and get the most important people in the local community to be sponsors.In my ex wifes family, as time has gone by, each wedding has had more sponsors. We had six sets of sponsors (12 sponsors) at our wedding. The last wedding was 11 sets (22 sponsors). All of the sponsors walk down the aisle ahead of the bride.Sponsors also are seated in pride of place in the church. At our wedding, we had to insist on special chairs for the best man and the maid of honour, other wise, they would have been seated in the pews behind the sponsors.My experience with sponsors is that they are often the only ones to give presents. All others will give cash. This is either pinned on the bride or thrown on the floor during a special dance for giving the cash.Being a sponsor as a foreigner can bring benefits as well. When I have been a sponsor the other sponsors have told me we are to refer to each other as campadre from now on. This is good if your new campadre is the mayor.Regards: Jim

• Like 5

Curley
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the replies..... I think a councillor and a doctor were mentioned, now I understand why.

• Like 1

daisy
Posted
Posted

When I got married at the age of 22, I consider my sponsors to be my second parents and that they will be the person I must go to in case something is not right with our marriage because if I will go to my own parents or his parents, they will tend to be biased. I have a high respect for them until now. They were my fave teachers, my Godmother for my Christian baptism, my landlady in college, and those closed to my husband. Even in my young mind then, I was already thinking that my wedding witnessed should be somebody I could run to anytime I need advise regarding marriage life. When I became a widow and remarried at 39, our wedding witnessed were my best friends, who were the first persons I introduced my "foreigner" husband, who also became his friends. Nothing fancy any more but still memorable.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted
When I got married at the age of 22, I consider my sponsors to be my second parents and that they will be the person I must go to in case something is not right with our marriage because if I will go to my own parents or his parents, they will tend to be biased. I have a high respect for them until now. They were my fave teachers, my Godmother for my Christian baptism, my landlady in college, and those closed to my husband. Even in my young mind then, I was already thinking that my wedding witnessed should be somebody I could run to anytime I need advise regarding marriage life.When I became a widow and remarried at 39, our wedding witnessed were my best friends, who were the first persons I introduced my "foreigner" husband, who also became his friends. Nothing fancy any more but still memorable.
Anything you do for love is always memorable and fancy!
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

I'm sorry but I believe the old school principle behind "god parents" (compadres) is now becoming more materialistic. Gone are the days of physical, spiritual and moral support. In my view, the newly weds are seeking financial gains,long term connections to the rich and powerful and periodic handouts. I have seen Filipino men, even here in theStates, will continue to practice infidelity -- number 2, number 3, number 4. Did I mentioned secret marriages?Good boy ako -- Jake

• Like 2