"god Parents" For A Marriage

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I'm sorry but I believe the old school principle behind "god parents" (compadres) is now becoming more materialistic. Gone are the days of physical, spiritual and moral support. In my view, the newly weds are seeking financial gains,long term connections to the rich and powerful and periodic handouts. I have seen Filipino men, even here in theStates, will continue to practice infidelity -- number 2, number 3, number 4. Did I mentioned secret marriages?Good boy ako -- Jake
I'll go along with that what my SS Buddy Jake have said and that's coming from two old Fil/Ams that have been around the block! A lot of Filipinos are materialistic and just want to empress "the Jones"! My wife and I are practical about the cost of a full blown wedding and probably will end up paying for it for years to come after a fancy full blown wedding! Since I was pressed for time on my vacation in the Philippines and was a spur in the moment thing (long story), we just had a civil wedding at my wife's cousin home in Malabon, Manila, no fanfare, nothing fancy to impress people and just had a reception at a restaurant with only 50 people consisting of families and close relatives! Everyone ate pretty well and even had take-out for some of our other family and relatives who couldn't attend! 24 yrs later, were still together and retired in the Philippines! We just came full circle back to our roots and we're still practical with our hard earned money! We own our own home here in the Philippines and free from large monthly bill payments! Life is just grand when a plan comes together in the end before retirement! Now that we're retired, we're foot loose and fancy free to do what ever we want to do, now that we have finally detached ourselves from the "Human Rat Race" 9 to 5 job! We're definitely "Happy Campers"!
  • Like 4

billten
Posted
Posted

While sponsors and such are all traditional, they are also optional. We got married with our friends and family around us, but had no sponsors, no best man or maid of honor, no veil, coins, etc, etc. The ceremony was no lesser for the lack of this usual trappings, in fact it removed a lot of traditional stress for the situation. JMHO...

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Interesting ...... I always thought that they were called witnesses at a wedding ...... to witnesses the fact that you really got married and that god parents were usually at a christening .... and were needed so that if something happened to the parents the child would have someone to watch out for them ...... but then I guess if you asked 10 people what they thought you would get 10 different answers ....... :hystery:

Edited by Mike S

Americano
Posted
Posted

My guess is God Parents must be a catholic believe because I never heard of them were I grew up in America, but I wasn't around any Catholics. When I got married in the Philippines we had witnesses sign our marriage contract but no God people. They are only needed if that's your religious belief. In 2010 a Filipino said he wanted me to be the God Father of his son and I didn't agree because I don't believe in it. This is a good example why religious beliefs should be discussed when you first meet a potential mate. By the way, my wife and I don't have any disagreements concerning religion but I believe we are the exception.

• Like 2

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
My guess is God Parents must be a catholic believe because I never heard of them were I grew up in America, but I wasn't around any Catholics. When I got married in the Philippines we had witnesses sign our marriage contract but no God people. They are only needed if that's your religious belief. In 2010 a Filipino said he wanted me to be the God Father of his son and I didn't agree because I don't believe in it. This is a good example why religious beliefs should be discussed when you first meet a potential mate. By the way, my wife and I don't have any disagreements concerning religion but I believe we are the exception.
Sorry, I disagree. In the Philippines, - I have seen Sponsors at Filipino weddings for non Catholics. I have been one myself- I have been a Sponsor at several Catholic Filipino weddings and I am not Catholic.Regards: Jim