New To Site, But Seems Great So Far

Karen D
Posted
Posted

Hi, My husband and I have been married for 18 years, I'm 57, on Social Security Disability, and my husband is 62 and newly retired. Since our vacations in Hawaii, all I can think about it retiring on the beach. Of course Hawaii is WAY too expensive! I've been reading a lot about Palawan, it's so very beautiful. My problem is reading so many conflicting things...one says Philippines is safe, with great medical and dental....another says the opposite. I'm hoping this site can clarify things for me :thumbsup: I do realize that a vacation there first if definately important. Gilliagans on Palawan seems pretty nice. We need to check things out, to get an idea of whether or not we even think we could be happy there. We're both the quiet, stay at home type of people. We've both had the rat race part of life, and now would just like to live our days in peace and tranquility. Two things I'd have trouble compromising on...milk and bread, lol. I love my Whole, Vitamin D milk, no skim, non-fat for me. My husband Bobby would have a problem if he had to give up his Budweiser. We're mainly meat and potato people, but love lobster, crabs and great buttery, garlicy steamers :) Just thinking in my head, without putting pen to paper and really doing the figures yet, I'm thinking we'd like to live on $2,000 USD a month. I wouldn't move unless I could live on the beach. I don't mean to sound uppity at all, it's just that we have a nice home here in the States, and live just ok, check to check monthly. I just want the beach so badly I can taste it. Looking forward to reading more here. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hi, My husband and I have been married for 18 years, I'm 57, on Social Security Disability, and my husband is 62 and newly retired. Since our vacations in Hawaii, all I can think about it retiring on the beach. Of course Hawaii is WAY too expensive! I've been reading a lot about Palawan, it's so very beautiful. My problem is reading so many conflicting things...one says Philippines is safe, with great medical and dental....another says the opposite. I'm hoping this site can clarify things for me :)I do realize that a vacation there first if definately important. Gilliagans on Palawan seems pretty nice. We need to check things out, to get an idea of whether or not we even think we could be happy there. We're both the quiet, stay at home type of people. We've both had the rat race part of life, and now would just like to live our days in peace and tranquility. Two things I'd have trouble compromising on...milk and bread, lol. I love my Whole, Vitamin D milk, no skim, non-fat for me. My husband Bobby would have a problem if he had to give up his Budweiser. We're mainly meat and potato people, but love lobster, crabs and great buttery, garlicy steamers :thumbsup: Just thinking in my head, without putting pen to paper and really doing the figures yet, I'm thinking we'd like to live on $2,000 USD a month. I wouldn't move unless I could live on the beach. I don't mean to sound uppity at all, it's just that we have a nice home here in the States, and live just ok, check to check monthly. I just want the beach so badly I can taste it.Looking forward to reading more here. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day.
Hello Karen,Here is an internal link from one of our members (Art) who posted a gentlemen by the name ofColin that currently lives there in Palawan. His photos will take your breath away. Regardingthe peace and order situation and medical issues, I hope that you will be able to contact Colinfor more information.http://www.philippin...dpost__p__57384Welcome aboard Karen -- Jake

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

Hi KarenForget the meat and potatoes if they include beef. Plenty of dead piggie and dead chickens. The milk. Ah, that's a story. I love milk too, but when in the states I would only drink milk from Safeway. They were the only ones that sold milk in cartons, everyone else either put it in plastic jugs, it tastes funny, or had only ultra pasturized. It tasted even funnier. Here in the RP, about the only milk available is ultra pasturized and it tastes funny. However, comma, it is better than nothing. I have found the Alaska milk from New Zealand the best tasting of all we have tasted, and that includes the so called Fresh Milk from S&R, a local costco trytobe. That milk is ultra pasturized too. Other than that, we have found everything we need here. There are some veggie items that I can't find, I'm a 35 year veggie, but pretty much everything else is here. Spices, flour, salsa, etc. Not much in Indian spices, so if you like Indian food, bring spices. No real Indian restaurants in Cebu. Not sure where Palawan is. I would recommend bringing a TV with you. We brought our 40" as checked luggage on the plane, because we shipped all our clothes for the initial stay ahead of time via LBC boxes. Really, really glad we brought the TV. $650 at Costco, and $300 more in oversized luggage, but I haven't found anything close to it for sale here at any price. We also upgraded and brought our computers in our luggage. Any medicines, aspirin, can openers, kitchen goods, should do it. Oh, and invest in a magic jack if you plan to call anybody in the states or elsewhere. We have been here since March and love it here in Talisay City, Cebu. But I miss milk every day.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Hi Karen,My wife and I are Hawaii residents and we plan to remain here as active, independent seniors. It's off to the Philippines should either one of us require assisted living. Cost for caregiver services in Hawaii will blow your mind. We can hire a live-in registered nurse in the Philippines for P20,000 to P25,000 ($500) a month. No problem with Social Security benefits. Double check about Social Security disability. That's a little tricky. Medicare stops at the border, but if you are paying out-of-pocket for Medicare B, C & D, setting aside the monthly premiums is more than sufficient to pay for all your medical bills. Medicare A remains as an 80/20 co-payment system. Have funds for a round-trip ticket to Honolulu for major surgery. A world-class hospital is under construction in Guam. This would be a closer and cheaper destination if you need medical services covered by Medicare A. Palawan is beautiful and a $2,000 monthly budget is sufficient for a comfortable existence at or near a beach. Meat is tougher in the Philippines. It might be healthier because they don't use growth hormones and artificial fattening techniques. One reason meat in the United States is more tender is castration and feeding enclosures wherein the cattle can't move. Another is a rich diet of genetically engineered corn with a high concentration of sugar to help fatten the cattle before slaughter.The seafood in the Philippines is much better than Hawaii. Most of the stuff here is frozen and expensive. Aloha - JJR

• Like 3

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Welcome aboard. This is truly a great site and do expect that you will find a wide array of experiences and opinions... normal as everyone's case is different. If they provide enough of their situaiton along with the issue and results, then you have what you need to determine how much of it may apply to you. I had, in fact looked into Gilligan's as I just wanted to have said I stayed there, however as I looked around for reviews, I found tripadvisor's registry for the property and we determined we would look elswhere... but as with anything, it could change and maybe your review will be a good one....Historically, we have found many great and useful reviews on this site. Here is the link I refer to, for your info:http://www.tripadvis...an-Palawan.htmlWe live in Carcar on the island of Cebu and are currently traveling for work, but we continue to seek a destination for the weekend we return home and again, welcome to the site!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dzighnman

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)
Since our vacations in Hawaii, all I can think about it retiring on the beach. Of course Hawaii is WAY too expensive! I've been reading a lot about Palawan, it's so very beautiful. My problem is reading so many conflicting things...one says Philippines is safe, with great medical and dental....another says the opposite. I'm hoping this site can clarify things for me :)I do realize that a vacation there first if definately important. Gilliagans on Palawan seems pretty nice. We need to check things out, to get an idea of whether or not we even think we could be happy there. We're both the quiet, stay at home type of people. We've both had the rat race part of life, and now would just...
If you can adjust to a different lifestyle then you might find Palawan ideal. I wouldn't make any long term plans until you go to the Philippines for a holiday and travel around and see various parts for yourself. It is also better to stay a few days at least so you can get a better feel for a place.I visited Palawan about 4 years ago and it was very beautiful, remote in some parts and a really great experience. I went right from the bottom of the island to the top. El Nido was probably the place I would want to live near or probably anywhere on the cost down to Puerto princess. Port Baton was very tranquil and relaxing but a little remote.Ideally you would want to find a place where you can have everything near by but it will be many hours to drive to the city if you want to live in the beach areas. You would also have to understand that you will be living in a new culture with mostly local people and that takes some adjusting and understanding. You will not have access to many medial places near the beach areas of Palawan. From my experience it would suit people that are prepared to live a more self sufficient lifestyle without relying on the usual comforts of the west. You could always live in or close to Puerto Princess but I don't see that as the ideal place to live.As for food, you will soon realize that the things you love there will not be found in the Philippines besides a few cities will have certain things but in outer islands and provinces most people will have to adjust quite quickly. The good things there are seafood, fruit and veggies. Street food is pretty un appetising most of the time and you will have issues if you are fussy about food so you will need to get ready for some big changes in your diet.Spend some time on a trip and see how you like it.... I think it's great personally but it took me awhile to adjust though.post-1843-0-20981700-1328790153_thumb.jp Edited by Jollygoodfellow
added image correctly
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)
No problem with Social Security benefits. Double check about Social Security disability. That's a little tricky.
SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) is based on your work record and is payable in The Philippines as long as you report to them that you are here. SSI (Supplimental Security Income) is not based on your work record but on financial need however is not payable if outside the US over 30 days. As JJR also said, Medicare does not pay outside the US or it's possessions. Other than that, welcome to the forum. Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hi Karen!You will find this group on here probably the best help you could ever hope to find! And, yes, they quickly seem to become like family! Welcome to both you and your husband - you're gonna love it here!