Philippine Price, American Price;Medical Only

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

This story is old, but the situation is still relevant.When we were living in the Philippines, my then six years old son sliced part of his finger with a knife. I rushed him to the emergency room at Makati Medical Hospital. He was entertaining the medical staff by yakking away that the cut came from a steak knife his parents purchased in Hong Kong; how he really enjoyed going to International School; and that the family was planning a summer trip to visit relatives in Southern California. Hopefully, his Dad include a visit to Disneyland.The next cubicle was a construction worker with a 5 inch nail on his foot with a portion sticking out the other end. They were just waiting for the painkiller to take effect before pulling it out. When it was time to pay the bill, someone from accounting showed up and the attending physician said something, not realizing I understood Filipino. They charged the construction worker a nominal amount. I paid more than six times for a finger wound requiring two stitches and a gauze wrap. When I narrated the story to a gathering of friends, who were mostly executives from the Asian Development Bank, the Americans and one Canadian in the group were upset that Makati Medic took advantage of me, thinking I was an American who could not understand the language. Two bank executives from India expressed the opinion that the situation was fair. The construction worker was of limited means and I was merely subsidizing for his care. A heated discussion followed.What do you think? (I will tell you later what a Filipino bank executive did.)

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

If you think universal health care, then those with more money pay. Same principle in an awkward sort of thinking. Go to a hospital here in the US and what is the first thing you are asked? "Who is your insurance carrier".By you paying more, it allows the hospital to serve those with lesser means to pay. Or at least in theory it should work out that way.Health care is one of those touchy subjects with people. Everyone thinks it should be universal and all should get equal treatment. But the reality of where money comes from to pay for it all is not well thought out.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I expect to pay more. This way, I am not mad when I get the bill! Comparing the construction worker (now maybe dead due to tetenus or not being able to afford the antibiotics to treat the infection......) and your son is like comparing apples and oranges. While you say, (and I agree) the amount charged to the cosntruction worker was 'nominal' by US standards, did it place any strain on his finances? A cup of fancy coffee at Starbucks in the US is more than many construction workers make in a day in the Philippines.There is a difference between paying more (Kano tax I call it) and being gouged..... Did you feel gouged? Did anyone refuse or delay treatment until payment was shown?As I remember it, not a month ago Lee was telling us of his nephew being shot (YES! on MINDANAO!) and the doc refusing to operate until money was sent by Lee for the bill!I buy travel health insurance before each trip with a $1,000 deducitable. In case anyting serious happens. Once I hit the $1,000, I don't care what they charge as the insurance company reps will argue about that with me later, assuming I am alive (a good thing).

• Like 5

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Here in the Philippines it's all about who are the "have" and "have not" and the color of one's skin! We as Fil/Ams who don't look like Americans (Kanos), can blend in among the locals so therefore pay or get charged less for services, unless the rates are posted for all weather they be locals or foreigners! Hey, under the exterior of our skin, we're all the same color, muscle, blood and guts! Fortunately, some people are color blind and or treats everyone equally without prejudice or discrimination and or the size of our bankroll! :mocking:

• Like 4

sjp52
Posted
Posted

My mother inlaw became real sick and the family took her to the hospital. She was in real pain and could not breathe very well. My wife and I did not find out for about 5 hours that she was there. When we arrived she was still waiting in the waiting room. I asked what the hell is going on here as this woman is in a lot of pain and they immediately took her to a room and the doctor checked her out. She was in the hospital for 3 days and the bill was 9000 pesos and Phil health paid 3000. I wonder if I did not show up if my mother inlaw would have ever been taken care of. I did not pay the bill until she was ready to go home.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
When it was time to pay the bill, someone from accounting showed up and the attending physician said something, not realizing I understood Filipino.
I would have to know what was said to know how to respond. If it was said: Gouge the Kano because he is rich then I would be angry. If it was said: The Kano pays regular but we should give the other guy a break because he has nothing, then I would be fine with it.If I did not understand the language and the price seemed fair compared to what other of my peers would pay, then I would give the benefit of the doubt that they has said the latter of the 2 above options.So we need to know what was said.
  • Like 2

dean01
Posted
Posted

health care is not one you can shop arround when you really need it, but i will not go back to a place that charges me more than a local. as for tips why not if your happy. i often tip for better service.

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
I love this forum. The topic starts with over priced and under priced medical services. It has move on to a discussion about eating intestines and chicken feet as food, and getting a haircut.
@JJR. So the curiousity is getting to me, what did the executive do???

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I love this forum. The topic starts with over priced and under priced medical services. It has move on to a discussion about eating intestines and chicken feet as food, and getting a haircut.
@JJR. So the curiousity is getting to me, what did the executive do???
Yes JJR, you left us all hanging when you said in your OP, "I will tell you later what a Filipino bank executive did".So, what did he do?

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is a bit on a broader aspect of the topic but I think it is in the same vein. Well, my "price delta" moment actually happened in Singapore, but I will relate it as it is somewhat inline with the intent of the OP. I worked in SE Asia a lot for about a decade… while living in Malaysia, I developed a boil in an embarrassing place, enough said on that. Anyhow, I had no idea how to treat it and neither did the doctor in Malaysia…. It got BIG (picture a mini-Football) and I got a fever etc… scared the crap out of my now wife as she was traveling with me. Anyhow, as Malaysian docs were no help and I was set to travel through Singapore to the USA (not looking forward to sitting on this thing for all those flights) I found online that the Singapore airport had an emergency medical facility in the basement. I planned to stop there and get medical attention, no matter the cost. I landed and had 3 hours until I needed to be in a meeting in Singapore, then a few hours and back for the flight out to the US. I stopped into the ER in the airport, related the story and my need to get to a meeting… they immediately took me into a doctors office so I could show what I was describing and her words were, "Oh My, this needs attention." (Note: there was no upfront payment as there would be here and as there was in Malaysia). I went to a room, they injected pain killer, lanced and drained the "football", bandaged it, asked me when I next flew, I told them that night and they packed me a bag with 7 days of pain killer, antibiotics, extra bandages and tape and some handwritten instructions…. I went to the front desk and they had my bill ready, 105.00 usd. TOTAL!! I paid and was out and on my way… so let's summarize: Singapore airport Emergency room care, in and out in 45 minutes, well taken care of and provided a week of supplies and meds. No paperwork, no BS and all for 105.00usd. This was in 2005, and even then, I cannot even imagine all the additional "pain" (waiting for service), not to mention the thousands of usd in additional expense, I would have experienced if trying to do this in the USA. Even then, Singapore was not a "cheap" place… but this example really blew my mind as you look at how messed up our health care system as a whole is there. In Singapore, I have never encountered a sense that anything is dual priced. Sorry if this is not quite inline with the topic of Phils vs USA costs, but I found the experience eye opening so thought I would relate it. More inline with the topic however, any massage place you go to… if they have the prices listed on a sheet of paper mat on the counter… flip it over and you will find the local prices…. Seen that many times, so the asawa goes in first to keep everyone honest, though I have found that if I show I am local (ACR-I card) most will willingly offer the local pricing. This dual pricing effect is not unique to the Phils though… In many areas I have lived in the USA , if you prove you are a resident of the area then the entrance fees to museums, mass transit,zoos etc are often reduced… mostly though tourist targeted industries though.

Edited by Dzighnman
  • Like 1