Expats Living In Philippines With Working Wife?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

My philosophy in life are those the same as MikeS's! Some people love to work ...... some people just have to be around others all day long .... kinda the togetherness syndrome .... where others just have to be doing something ALL the time ...... some like the challenge ...... some like the feeling of accomplishing something ...... and some just plain need or want the money ...... THANK GOD I AIN'T NONE OF THE ABOVE ...... I WORKED MY ENTIRE LIFE EVEN DURING MY SCHOOL DAYS ...... AND NOW I AM PERFECTLY HAPPY TO SIT ON MY FAT ARSE AND LET SOMEONE ELSE DO ALL THE WORK! And it's all about each to their own thing and what makes one happy in life! Mike & me, we prefer kicking back til our old age and our wives are taken good care of because they too have served us well over the long haul and deserves a break too!

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

If all goes as planned, the wife and I will be living in Subic by the end of 2013. I am in my early 50's and she is in her early 30's. I work to pay bills, she works because she likes her job here. I will most likely take some time off and relax and she will enjoy being home with her family once again. I am pretty sure she will go back to work doing something since she likes to keep busy. I explained to her that she might not enjoy working a job 6-7 days a week for 8-12 hours a day making less in a week than what she made here in a day but she says she can't do nothing for the next 30-40 years. She's a keeper.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
daisy
Posted
Posted

It all depends on the kind of job the wife will do. I am working simply because I can't imagine my life without it! However, I also can't imagine working a regular 8-5 job..no way!!!!I worked and still I set my own priorities, When you love what you are doing, it is not work...praise God, I've found the work I wanted in my life and my husband is an inspiration to me...earning is secondary even if how big or small it is. In fact I just accepted a salon marketing job on top my being an Insurance agent, and an independent sales manager of a beauty product, It is all about connecting people and making people involve and earn too, and I love what I am doing. I only have one policy, if in any case the work I am into will separate me from the God I am serving, then it's out of my way! I will always give the credit to my husband for making me the best woman that I can be. Founding the ELCI is a selfish dedication to my husband, to make him proudly say that I am his wife ....now i am thinking!!!!

• Like 4

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

My wife was not working for 8 years now. Then she started last year bothering with the barangay politics, she started voluntary work. Now she gets paid and she sees a career too.I am happy that she has something to bother with other than me!!!!! Her salary is not much but is better than nothing.She gets paid to leave me alone for some time, that is how i see it and i love it!!!!!

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
She gets paid to leave me alone for some time, that is how i see it and i love it!!!!!
:thumbsup: Now that! is a sentiment I can Relate to! :lol: maybe I can get mine to keep her job, When I retire.
  • Like 1

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm courting a girl that has two desires, to find a man that is financially stable to love and support her and also to further her education and get work as a teacher or international teacher. I'm retired so I suggested role reversal, she goes out and follows her dream and I stay at home and watch the soapies lol. Seems she is keen on that idea. She doesn't have to work but she is intelligent and wants to be more than just a housewife. I'm happy to support her to realise her dreams.Different strokes for different folks...

Edited by Just Fred
  • Like 1

chimellie
Posted
Posted

We are still in the US, I will be 56 or 57 when I retire but my wife wants to stay here and work because she wants to have health insurance for me and she also wants to send her nieces and nephews to school. I guess I have to keep busy there like playing golf, going to the beach and drinking......tough life.

• Like 1

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

This is an interesting topic.My mother is a poor countrywoman and comes from a large family. But tradition was, women mind the house and children, while the man goes out to work and bring the bacon. But my mother has different ideas. She went out to work and not only brings the beacon but the jam as well. Her family was not happy and think my mother was a fool. She got a lot of flak from her family. They keep telling her, it’s her husband’s duty to provide for the family not her. She (mother) was deeply hurt by the attitude of her family especially as they make our father look like a chancer/gold digger. It affected us children what her family thinks of our parents.But I remember my mother sitting us down girls and explaining the facts of life. She explained to us that while tradition is fine but it does not always work out for the best. Take me for example. Im an illiterate woman but I know how to make money. By going out there, it made me fully educated, perhaps not the academically but the school of life which in the end is what really matters. If you look at a house, think of the roof as the husband, the pillars as the wife and the walls as the children. All three make a house – without the other, the house will not survive. If the house has strong pillars and thru wear and tear the roof leaks, the house won’t go under because the pillar is too strong to support that house.So I want you girls to understand that and apply it to real life. We do not know what the future hold for us. In the event that we cannot foresee and your fathers income drops, lose his job or heavens forbids he becomes an invalid – how would we be able to survive I, the wife and mother, doesn’t know how to make money and learned to picked up the pieces?????? You should learn to use the talent you are blessed with and not be too complacent. Sometimes, life makes a mockery of us all!I was young then when my mother imparted her wisdom. I had not forgotten it and it stand me in good stead now that I am a wife and mother myself. I and my siblings are all very thankful of my mothers foresight.

• Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It's funny how times change... I can remember as a little boy hearing "She's married and still working a fulll time job? She just wants the money!" and now you will hear instead "She's married and expects her husband only to work? Tell her to get off her (donkey)! She only wants his money!" My own daughter was born with 3 debilitating birth defects - any one of them would be sufficient to have others saying that they can't work if they needed to... My daughter works because she wants to! And loves it! I know when my special someone and I are ultimately united, she has the same attitude as both my daughter and as Ashanti's post above... We will have a very solid "house" together!I believe every couple is unique and situations do change but (as per Ashanti's post) only they can make their house strong! Ashanti - I agree with you 100%...

• 2 weeks later...
jode
Posted
Posted

I had a gf who I lived with who I put through a semester of college at San jose in Cebu. She wasn't much of a student and after i went back to states I got tired of her trying to do her homework last minute while she chatted me online. So I said thats it, no more paying for school, time to get a job. She was amazing at English and the star of her class in that subject. She was able to land a job in the Expedia call center in Cebu at barely 19 yrs of age and loved it and the decent salary(for Philippines) that went with it. However, after landing the job she loved, she didn't need me anymore and the relationship ended. Sob, the saddest part for me was she was the one with the amazing huge ta tas. But I am glad the girl I met carrying bananas for her aunties store was able to get a good start on life with my help.My wife now (common law) worked at mepps II when I met her and contrary to her promise to me, when I moved here she wouldn't quit. She said she doubted my sincerity and didn't want to leave a position that supported her family back in province. She was gone at least 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week and with shifts alternating from night to day every two weeks. Quite a grind for 1400 pesos or so a week. Finaly the problems she was having with the chemicals they used in production at work helped me to convince her to quit. Also the many hours her being gone gave me the oppurtunity to stray badly much to her rage.It was nice haveing her around more after she quit, but there are still times I think a 12 hour break from her like I used to have would be fun.