What Not To Bring...?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have heard many people saying that we should bring this and bring that when we finally pull the pin and jump across to HEAVEN!!! But at the same time there are many things there that are just as good as our home country and cheaper to buy new rather than worrying about shipping our old stuff... Or maybe we would just like to replace the old with new? Either way, what should I look at buying there? Just to clarify a bit, I'm asking about things like sheets and pillows, dinnerware, silverware, alarm clocks, furniture, extra girlfriend, hangers, dressers, and old socks! I'm trying to get my list together for the big move this fall so I want to make sure I have time to get rid of my excess junk! Every bit of help will be greatly appreciated!!!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Anything that's 110V.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Anything that's 110V.
I guess that leaves out any toys for the ... ooohhh! did I say that? :mocking:Some people have a dirty mind... I was going to say kids! :mocking:

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted

I will asume you may be talking about a container of belongings, if you are talking in your luggage, then most of my notes are not as useful.Good topic.I now have a 110VAC transformer connected to the house, as I brought lock, stock and barrel all my belongings and was hoping to use small power transformers to drive my 110VAC stuffage. Be it the poor quality of the trasnformers, the inconsistency of the power supply in the Phils.. or some combination... I can say you should NOT plan on even running a lamp off of transformers as they crap out very quickly. Even the so called "quality" units from the USA. I figured those bought here would be crap, I was suprised at the failure of my USA brought units. Anyhow, we opted for the rental of a transformer from the utility (Cebeco), Aside from them being rapist, metephorically speaking, they just plain operate on a schedule that nobody can predict. Cost of new wire was 13K php, we got a dual voltage meter out of that and the transformer costs 400php per month, out on the pole, so far better to get a trasnformer, particularly if no upgrade to the wire is needed.As for the items you list, well, you might use all that except the socks and long pants.... If you like shorts and sandals (slippers), then that is all you will wear... I did not wear long pants or socks for the first year EXCEPT.. .when you go to the BOI. Not sure of your sizes, but assuming you are larger than 5'9" and 90 lbs, stock up on tank tops and shorts, sizes are small here and expensive when you find the size you want.Hmmmmm, don't waste your time with lawn furniture etc. The tropical sun and weather will mold/dryrot through the fabrics in no time. If you plan on storing anything for some time, pack it with mothballs and nothing that mice may like... THEY WILL FIND IT. The little bastards ate through one of my IKEA desk parts man, of course, IKEA stuff is cardboard anyhow, but not the point... Make sure any stuffed trophies are kept away from access by rodents, found a dead mouse the other day, dumbass ate an entire stuffed rattlesnake... formaldehyde and all. If I did it over, I would not waste the space to bring anything nice, I now have a better understanding of why they have alot of cheap plastic crap here... nothing nice lasts. We catch alot of mice as our rental house is "open air" as I call it, as are most... and that means good luck keeping out rodents and those bastards eat EVERYTHING.I know this topic is what NOT to bring, but bring good solid mouse traps. They have none here and tie the damn things down so stray cats do not sneak in and steal the damn things. Can you tell I look forward to the day I move out of a rental house into a proper home?I do, in fact love it here and would still make the move, no doubts. :mocking:

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Bob, most of the stuff you've listed i'm not gonna bother with because it's all available there and it's cheap.I am going to bring kitchen appliances with me (Australia is 240v and works just fine in PI). All the kitchen appliances you will see cheap in stores there are just crap and will last you maybe a week if you're lucky. Dinnerware i wouldn't bother with either but maybe a decent cutlery set and for sure bring a few can openers cos you won't find good ones there.Furniture, well just my opinion but i think it's a waste of time bringing it with you. If your anything like me, you won't need too many pairs of long pants either.Shorts and t shirts are the go 12 months of the year.Ofcourse if you have a sentimental attachment with some articles then for sure bring them but other than that i like the idea of travelling as light as possible because i've seen too many guys send a houseload of stuff over and then 12 months later they regret it.

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
I will asume you may be talking about a container of belongings, if you are talking in your luggage, then most of my notes are not as useful.
Exactly! (confusing, ain't I?) Seriously, that is exactly what I need to determine... Will I need a container or should I just get a very large suitcase? I'm starting to lean towards the very large suitcase...Great answers from everybody but I still wonder about many of the other things I have... Edited by i am bob

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Balikbayan boxes, that's your answer. No weight restrictions and pack as much as you can get in em. :mocking:

• Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Balikbayan boxes, that's your answer. No weight restrictions and pack as much as you can get in em. :mocking:
100% AGREED!! I have a separate post here on LBC, but while we are in the USA, we have shipped back a boatload of stuff through LBC boxes, but pack them as if the box will be rolled down stairs... beacuse it will.. If you are not shipping a household and/r furniture, start fitting things into LBC boxes and that is the way to go... but hide or declare your electronics if you choose to bring them.... they look for electronics and the fees are high. Otherwise, we have our 100th box filling in the living room now and 60 are already in our home in the Phils.... no problems and like Bundy says, no weight restriction. :mocking:
  • Like 2

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted

Well, ok you beat me. I only shipped 60 boxes total, but you got that beat. OP, ship LBC boxes ahead of time so when you get here your clothes and things will be along in a few days, then use your suitcases for your desktop computers etc. We brought our 40" TV from Costco in its original box as checked luggage. $150 from Seattle to Manila, $150 from Manila to Cebu for oversized. That was a very good decision. Any spices you like, though we have found all here. Money, more money and then a little more.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
100% AGREED!! I have a separate post here on LBC, but while we are in the USA, we have shipped back a boatload of stuff through LBC boxes, but pack them as if the box will be rolled down stairs... beacuse it will.. If you are not shipping a household and/r furniture, start fitting things into LBC boxes and that is the way to go... but hide or declare your electronics if you choose to bring them.... they look for electronics and the fees are high. Otherwise, we have our 100th box filling in the living room now and 60 are already in our home in the Phils.... no problems and like Bundy says, no weight restriction. :mocking:
Thanks guys but I thought you had to be a returning Filipino in order to use them... I"m looking at just moving here for the first time and I'm single...?