What Not To Bring...?

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Well, ok you beat me. I only shipped 60 boxes total, but you got that beat. OP, ship LBC boxes ahead of time so when you get here your clothes and things will be along in a few days, then use your suitcases for your desktop computers etc. We brought our 40" TV from Costco in its original box as checked luggage. $150 from Seattle to Manila, $150 from Manila to Cebu for oversized. That was a very good decision. Any spices you like, though we have found all here. Money, more money and then a little more.
Thanks! I'll only have a laptop and a bit of attaching hardware to bring that way.... I just have to decide if I want to get another laptop before I leave or wait until Old Betsy with my "thumbprint in blue" screen decides to depart this earth for the last time! I don't watch much television and what I do watch (all 3 shows) I can get online. Just wondering how to keep up with my Blue Jays and Maple Leafs on a screen but I can get them on streaming audio online as well.

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Balikbayan boxes, that's your answer. No weight restrictions and pack as much as you can get in em. :mocking:
100% AGREED!! I have a separate post here on LBC, but while we are in the USA, we have shipped back a boatload of stuff through LBC boxes, but pack them as if the box will be rolled down stairs... beacuse it will.. If you are not shipping a household and/r furniture, start fitting things into LBC boxes and that is the way to go... but hide or declare your electronics if you choose to bring them.... they look for electronics and the fees are high. Otherwise, we have our 100th box filling in the living room now and 60 are already in our home in the Phils.... no problems and like Bundy says, no weight restriction. :mocking:
Thanks guys but I thought you had to be a returning Filipino in order to use them... I"m looking at just moving here for the first time and I'm single...?
LBC is an equal opportunity money taker... You DO need an address to ship to though.....if that is a Filipino name and address you are golden. Also one thing you will learn is in the outlying areas, there are no numbers for the address.. .for example we have only a road name.... they ALWAYS find us, I was worried on the first one, how did they do it??? They stopped and asked if there was a new Kano around and everyone knew where to point. After that, I must be in their database as the third Kano on the right. IDK, all kidding aside, if you have a significant other receiving the goods, then you are all set, if not, then I think there are some expat services that do anything needed, I have never tried them and am not endorsing any though.. .sorry. :1927_:

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Balikbayan boxes, that's your answer. No weight restrictions and pack as much as you can get in em. :mocking:
100% AGREED!! I have a separate post here on LBC, but while we are in the USA, we have shipped back a boatload of stuff through LBC boxes, but pack them as if the box will be rolled down stairs... beacuse it will.. If you are not shipping a household and/r furniture, start fitting things into LBC boxes and that is the way to go... but hide or declare your electronics if you choose to bring them.... they look for electronics and the fees are high. Otherwise, we have our 100th box filling in the living room now and 60 are already in our home in the Phils.... no problems and like Bundy says, no weight restriction. :mocking:
Thanks guys but I thought you had to be a returning Filipino in order to use them... I"m looking at just moving here for the first time and I'm single...?
LBC is an equal opportunity money taker... You DO need an address to ship to though.....if that is a Filipino name and address you are golden. Also one thing you will learn is in the outlying areas, there are no numbers for the address.. .for example we have only a road name.... they ALWAYS find us, I was worried on the first one, how did they do it??? They stopped and asked if there was a new Kano around and everyone knew where to point. After that, I must be in their database as the third Kano on the right. IDK, all kidding aside, if you have a significant other receiving the goods, then you are all set, if not, then I think there are some expat services that do anything needed, I have never tried them and am not endorsing any though.. .sorry. :1927_:
Beautiful! Thank you all! I do have a young woman who has stolen my heart and I'm sure I could use her address but it might not be necessary! From your earlier posts and what I have here, I may just toss almost all of it and start afresh! Other than the parts you mentioned I should bring! And that should all fit into a suitcase or so!My sincere gratitude to all who answered so quickly!
  • Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Everything I need is available in the Philippines except suitable underwear.Regards: Jim

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Everything I need is available in the Philippines except suitable underwear.Regards: Jim
Ah but commando is soooo comfortable!!! :mocking:I'll make sure to bring lots with me! Thanks!

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK... here is a BIGGIE.... I am not going to spend time on what not to bring as most of it has been covered... (of course, don't bring a gun... they frown on that kind of stuff)But.... NO WHERE here have I found any Trojan MAGNUM condoms! So, if the standard size fits fine, don't worry about it. But if the standard size is a wee bit snug up to rips down the side upon proper application... then bring a few hundred of the MAGNUM size and you won't regret it.Oh yes Jake..... about your question of serial numbers on condoms.... quite true! But if you don't have to roll them down all the way, then you might not be aware of the serial number.... No need to thank me, glad to help.... as always, I am stock full of a wide variety of usless information (just ask Tom).

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 3

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I've used a lot of 110v stuff here and it works for me, though a transformer for more stable power is a great choice if you can afford it and are parked somewhere permanently. Yes, you do need long pants regardless of what some folks seem to think here. Trips to the Bureau of Immigration REQUIRE long pants. No going inside without them. That is the requirement for the Manila main office if you have to report there. Smaller regional office have more lenient attitudes usually, but they can enforce that rule any time they want if they choose. Other government offices will have the same requirement. If you show up in pants, all happy and smiling, they may well take care of you. Or they may get around to you after their break, lunch, chit chat and anything else that might come up. Wearing shorts to a government office is a sign of disrespect. And we all know the old adage that if you want respect, it starts by showing respect. But, along with any important business with the government, good to be prepared should you be asked to a nicer (upscale) social function whether a private party or a child's graduation (elementary or high school), or if you visit Baguio during December through March, you will want them at night. And a light jacket. Actually, forget the Baguio requirement. Come on up for a visit during the months specified and please bring only shorts and light shirts. Enjoy your evening and at the end of your stay take the Victory Liner down to Manila, preferably the midnight trip since it is actually the shortest/fastest (4 hours). After that, feel free to post here about how completely unnecessary long pants are. Heh heh.

• Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Those Trojan Magnum condoms are great for doing the Howie Mandel routine. I couldn't find a clip of the original routine, but here is one of a young guy demonstrating the proper use of the Trojan Magnum Condom: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/268159/guy_puts_condom_over_his_head/Bruce, your suggestion is just brilliant and anyone with a good supply of the said condoms will be the life of the party and excessively popular! :hystery:

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Aren't you the same guy who took your wife to a swapping party... everyone put their keys into a hat and each man pulled out a set of keys for the evening... but you left with your wife and the other couple's car! :hystery: :hystery: :nudie: :hystery:

• Like 1