No mobile homes in the Philippines

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Nuttin' says White Trash like a single wide trailer!
I owned and lived in a single wide. Not once, but twice. First time for a year and the second time for 3 years. Both times right after a divorce where the wife took the nice house and left me with nothing. But my ex wives would agree with you about the white trash statement.But single wides today don't look like the old stereotypes. They look like this pic, they are up to 22 foot wide, and they cost about $150,000mansura2000_artist_rendition.JPG
That is not a single wide which are by (US) DOT rules 14' wide or less. You are talking about a double or triple wide. I have property and friends in North Carolina (Noooo, they are not one and the same thank you) And there are single wides 40+ years old and still in use. And some housing developments made of nice double wide trailers... but even in them the floors sag after a few years. Damn particle board in most everything!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
That is not a single wide which are by (US) DOT rules 14' wide or less
You forget that I am from Canada, you did not notice that I provided the link to the company that actually manufactures them and you ignored the fact that I have lived in one. 3 Strikes. You're information is outdated, better to read and learn. :attention:
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

So the old 'mobile home' is not actually called that where I come from. Many years ago it went through an 'image' upgrade so they call themselves Modular Homes now. The concept is the same. You build them at point A, where labor and materials are cheap, then ship them by road to point B, where you are going to live. If you have never been in a 20 foot SINGLE WIDE modular home, here is a sample floor plan. They are beautiful inside although costly:31.jpgOne reason for the name change was to ride on the shirt tales of a new industry where actual homes were being built, (yes the exact same as would be built on site), and shipped to the lot. Again the reason is labor and material costs are cheaper in one area than the other so you tow the finished product down the road. Here is what that looks like with another brand of Modular Home:s-image-new.jpgThis is all possible in the province of Alberta, Canada (where I used to live) because of the very wide and straight roads. I cannot image that concept working here in the Philippines but if someone could take this knowledge and make it work here, more power to them. I just cannot see how you would get the homes down the road BUT this is a nation of many islands so maybe a business of build and barge would work. These homes are often metal buildings but not always. The metal ones are built, these days, with metal studwork, covered by aluminum or vinyl siding, with anything from gyproc to panel on the inside. They could be built here. There are also wooden framed modular homes but I think the bugs and climate here would make them untenable. The modern metal buildings are NOTHING like the old tin can mobile homes in that they are well insulated with premium quality materials. But they are very expensive. I was not exagerating when I mentioned $150K (yes dollars) for a new one.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
This is all possible in the province of Alberta, Canada (where I used to live) because of the very wide and straight roads. I cannot image that concept working here in the Philippines but if someone could take this knowledge and make it work here, more power to them. I just cannot see how you would get the homes down the road BUT this is a nation of many islands so maybe a business of build and barge would work. These homes are often metal buildings but not always. The metal ones are built, these days, with metal studwork, covered by aluminum or vinyl siding, with anything from gyproc to panel on the inside. They could be built here. There are also wooden framed modular homes but I think the bugs and climate here would make them untenable. The modern metal buildings are NOTHING like the old tin can mobile homes in that they are well insulated with premium quality materials. But they are very expensive. I was not exagerating when I mentioned $150K (yes dollars) for a new one.
Here in Australia they relocate homes that are perhaps in the way of development as in your picture above,they often cut the house in half or more and sometimes take the roof off and re erect it when it gets to its destination. Other homes new and made in the factory are made in two pieces or more for transport and joined together onsite.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
That is not a single wide which are by (US) DOT rules 14' wide or less
You forget that I am from Canada, you did not notice that I provided the link to the company that actually manufactures them and you ignored the fact that I have lived in one. 3 Strikes. You're information is outdated, better to read and learn. :hystery:
Sorry... no cookie! There is a difference between a modular home and a trailer and a mobile home. The pic shows a modular home being moved by flatbed truck. A mobile home has actual wheels bolted underneath that remain as once the house gets to the site, it is jacked up and placed on a foundation of some sort. I assume that Canada follows the US pertaining to the (US) DOT rules (width and height for loads in transit) which govern trailers and mobile homes, both of which were shown in the OP pic. .What is shown in your pic requires a special permit to move and is limited in distance to be moved. As a trailer or mobile home (2 different animals) limited to 14' wide, no special permit to move and no limit on distance traveled to the site. As such they are made to be single, double or triple wide in the finished configuration. All built at a factory, assembled then disassembled for moving.There is an effort made to distance the industry from the term 'trailer' as the public often interchanges the term trailer and mobile home to the anger of the home owner who does not want to be referred to as 'trailer trash', a term Jeff Foxworth loves....And what can be done in one province of Canada is not indicative of the rest of the planet! Although wide roads are a good thing!You keep trying though.... I like it! Hehehehehehehe To quote a 'few' past girl friends and coworkers.... "You just think you are sooo F*****G SMART, don't you! To which the reply is usually... 'And?' :hystery: :hystery: (actually, I just read a lot! And have good recall. That is all, nothing else. I am no smarter than BooBoo's best friend) And it runs in the family. My father was an attorney who was well known locally as a 'technical trial attorney'. Not a great speaker or champion of human rights. But one of the best at 'objecting' based on some obscure case no one has read in years, or legal procedures to be followed .... he can tie up cases for quite a time as they try to overcome his objections and pleadings based on the technical application of law. Just think of Bill Clinton's depo and the extended arguments over the meaning of the word 'is'. hehehehehehehe :attention: However, I do think there would be a market in Phils for a Phils based factory making a version to fit the local needs. If there has been some success in the reuse of a shipping container (8' x 20' or 8' x 40') then to compare the costs in buying a container to the costs of making a framed similar sized unit this gives you a starting point.If I can buy a container for $1300 PLUS shipping and renovation, what will that same $1300 get me in a framed housing unit PLUS the finishing and shipping. Apples to apples???
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
"You just think you are sooo F*****G SMART, don't you!
The problem with being rated in the 99th percentile is being so smart that you know there is no 100th percentile. That often gives one the false sense of believing one knows more than everyone else. Enjoy that smug feeling while it lasts. When and if it wears off I suggest this book.PS: I would be more inclined to rebut your statements if you were to install links to your sources. It makes the difference between meaningful discussion and just having a bull ship session. Of course it is entirely possible you were just putting forth your personal opinion but it would be nice if you made that clear. Or do you actually expect people to take everything you write as gospel with no need for references? This isn't to say you are wrong. Just asking how I can participate in a meaningful argument if your response is going to be: You're wrong. I'm right. Here is the answer. Trust me on that. Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)
If I can buy a container for $1300 PLUS shipping and renovation, what will that same $1300 get me in a framed housing unit PLUS the finishing and shipping. Apples to apples???
Not really. Would you consider a framed modular house as sturdy and earthquake resistant as a steel house? Do you think that steel makes a stronger wall than standard framed construction or even Filipino hollow block? Would you be more comfortable moving steel containers over Philippine roads or a framed wooden and plywood or particle board unit? Which do you think is more resistant to termites and other bugs? And since this is about dwelling mobility, which do you think would be easier, and more resilient to being moved after 5 or 10 years?It is not, in my humble opinion, comparing apples to apples.Modular homes and mobile homes are similar and can be trucked to their destination by standard over the road trucks. They can then be attached as double and even triple wide units. Perhaps the photo David used is a modular house being moved from its initial location to a second location. Not worth getting our panties in a wad over.P.S. My dad swore by the Carnegie book. Edited by Tatoosh

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Each has it's limits and positive angles. You raise a valid point about termites et al. But setting that aside for a minute, there are other exampls like in South Carolina there is a company on 26 just south of the NC / SC border that makes (10 yr old information here) single wide moble homes out of logs! looks like a kit log home.So, if you look at just the $1300 to buy the container to start with. Just WHAT can you do with that same $1300? Metal may be more durable, but wood is cooler and takes less $$ to insulate and cool than metal. Since containers are 8' wide, what can you build and how wide for that same $1300. So there are issues to be looked at by the individual buyer that can only be decided by them.I have seen 1 or 2 groups of small vacation cottages made from wood that are no bigger than 15'x15' added porch and finished with a CR and small kitchen area. Very interesting and low cost. So I think that while wood has issues with fire and bugs, there are more possibilities with wood than a metal container.

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

A low cost cottage is likely cheaper if you use wood. But I was not looking at the cheapest cost. I was looking at matching durability with portability. Other problems in terms of heat and so forth are simply design factors that have to be addressed. Insulating the steel construction is no more expensive than insulating framed construction and provides the same economic benefits whether you are heating or cooling your unit. Of course, I am looking at long term durability for myself or a surviving spouse. A mobile log home? Cool! Log home are very popular in Oregon. And kits were a viable choice, but none were "mobile" in the sense you are using (I think).

Bruce
Posted
Posted
A low cost cottage is likely cheaper if you use wood. But I was not looking at the cheapest cost. I was looking at matching durability with portability. Other problems in terms of heat and so forth are simply design factors that have to be addressed. Insulating the steel construction is no more expensive than insulating framed construction and provides the same economic benefits whether you are heating or cooling your unit. Of course, I am looking at long term durability for myself or a surviving spouse.A mobile log home? Cool! Log home are very popular in Oregon. And kits were a viable choice, but none were "mobile" in the sense you are using (I think).
Yes, I went to the factory. Actual log home on a base and truckable or pullable as they also a wheeled version to pull to the homesite.As for the insulation of the metal vs wood. Wood has a built in R factor (and some sound deadening qualities) that meal lacks. So the actual cost of getting wood to say ar R factor of 21 (side walls) or 30 (roof) would be a greater cost than doing for a metal outerwall. Of course you can help some by a reflective light outer color.Actually.... I have for years.... planned to dig into the side of a hill and make a permanent home. but as usual, never had the opportunity to settle down and try it.