Moving Soon, Ideal Place To Live In Ph ??

gunner05
Posted
Posted

So my priorities... Safety being self-evident.1- I need SUPER FAST internet. My work is online based.2- I suppose i need reliability (electric and stuff)3- Beaches, nature, mountains, and things to do nearby 4-Good People!5- Value for the money (on rent etc...)With that being said, what are my top 5 choices for places to look at?Also, I am in my early 30s.Thanks much lads!

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

I will subscribe to this thread... :grouphugg:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I will subscribe to this thread... :grouphugg:
Me too! I thought we already live in a nice area in the suburbs! :89:Just kidding! We really do love it here! :nudie:https://www.google.c...iw=1166&bih=661https://www.google.c...w.,cf.osb&cad=bhttps://www.google.c...iw=1166&bih=661

Curley
Posted
Posted

I think you'll be restricted to the Manila area if you want superfast and "superfast" can be very variable in the Philippines.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The following suggestion is not possible if you plan to work out of home. The way to obtain cheap, superfast Internet connection is to contact a Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) company when you get to the Philippines. They are also known as "Call Centers," but BPOs are much broader in what they do. Their locations are in buildings licensed by the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) and the buildings are wired with T1 or T3 lines. Another requirement for the buildings are back-up generators because the companies renting space operate 24/7. By the way, if your business is more than just a single proprietorship, check with PEZA. You can get tax exempt status and qualify for multiple entry, multiple years visa. An example of a PEZA location is Subic Bay and the former Clark Air Force Base near Angeles City. Someone else can explain about the area beaches and the wild nightclub scene. Ask about renting a "bucket" or seat with Internet connectivity at a BPO. Their business in contractual and it's up or down. They are very accommodating when business is down. Most of their work is at night because of the time zone difference. If your requirement is daytime, you might get a better deal. Good way to meet nice girls since 75% of the operators are young women who speak good to excellent English. The majority of the BPO businesses are in Makati & Metro Manila, but there are excellent facilities in Cebu. There might even be one located near a beach. The ones I visited in Cebu City are buildings located across the street from the Waterfront Hotel. I sometimes use a PBO in Pangasinan Province for digital data conversion. We have no problems with them for voice and data transmission because our office building in Honolulu is also T1.

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I personally don't believe you can get all that in one place.What is the slowest internet speed that would be acceptable for your business? Regards: Jim

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Super fast internet, oh, that is good. You will need an emergency power supply and a T1 or better. Best if you have two from different providers because sometimes my provider goes out for awhile due to their connection being lost. 24/7 connectivity is expensive here. This is not the USA, Japan or South Korea. It is 3rd world for a reason. I know people that own a call service and they are happy but they pay a whole heck of a lot more for their internet than I do. One of the reasons I don't do online teaching is the haphazard connection of my cable based internet or the loss of electrical power. We lost power for 2 or 3 hours today. Not really a biggie if you can pull up a book and spend the time reading. But if you are working via the internet, that would be pretty unacceptable.

gunner05
Posted
Posted (edited)
The following suggestion is not possible if you plan to work out of home.The way to obtain cheap, superfast Internet connection is to contact a Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) company when you get to the Philippines. They are also known as "Call Centers," but BPOs are much broader in what they do. Their locations are in buildings licensed by the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA) and the buildings are wired with T1 or T3 lines. Another requirement for the buildings are back-up generators because the companies renting space operate 24/7. By the way, if your business is more than just a single proprietorship, check with PEZA. You can get tax exempt status and qualify for multiple entry, multiple years visa. An example of a PEZA location is Subic Bay and the former Clark Air Force Base near Angeles City. Someone else can explain about the area beaches and the wild nightclub scene.Ask about renting a "bucket" or seat with Internet connectivity at a BPO. Their business in contractual and it's up or down. They are very accommodating when business is down. Most of their work is at night because of the time zone difference. If your requirement is daytime, you might get a better deal. Good way to meet nice girls since 75% of the operators are young women who speak good to excellent English. The majority of the BPO businesses are in Makati & Metro Manila, but there are excellent facilities in Cebu. There might even be one located near a beach. The ones I visited in Cebu City are buildings located across the street from the Waterfront Hotel. I sometimes use a PBO in Pangasinan Province for digital data conversion. We have no problems with them for voice and data transmission because our office building in Honolulu is also T1.
Wow. quite a brilliant tip! I will def look into it first chance I get. Do you have an inkling of what it costs to rent a seat a few times a week ?? I need to budget my expenses accordingly.Thanks. Edited by gunner05

gunner05
Posted
Posted
Super fast internet, oh, that is good. You will need an emergency power supply and a T1 or better. Best if you have two from different providers because sometimes my provider goes out for awhile due to their connection being lost. 24/7 connectivity is expensive here. This is not the USA, Japan or South Korea. It is 3rd world for a reason. I know people that own a call service and they are happy but they pay a whole heck of a lot more for their internet than I do. One of the reasons I don't do online teaching is the haphazard connection of my cable based internet or the loss of electrical power. We lost power for 2 or 3 hours today. Not really a biggie if you can pull up a book and spend the time reading. But if you are working via the internet, that would be pretty unacceptable.
fair points. are there areas that are more prone to power outages than others in manila?

gunner05
Posted
Posted (edited)
I personally don't believe you can get all that in one place.What is the slowest internet speed that would be acceptable for your business?Regards: Jim
I am used to 50 to 100mpbs here... I know it will be a tough transition.. but i also have to curb my online usage to work related things only. I think i can survive on 1 to 5 mpbs no problem! (dedicated and reliable tho)thank you. Edited by gunner05