Top Places In Philippines You Would Consider Living

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Gunner05 topic asking where the best place to live made me think of this topic. If you made a list of the top 5 or so places you would consider living in the Philippines where would they be and why? I'm hoping to hear from not only from people who are still planning and researching but also from people who are living there already. So if you had to move from your location now, where would you consider relocating too. My top locations are...in no specific order:Cebu, well lets say Metro Cebu: So this could be anywhere inside Cebu City itself to from Talaban, or Carcar. From the beginning when I started researching a retirement in the Philippines (2006) or so, Cebu has always been pretty much on top of the list. For one, there is just so much info out there about Cebu...between all the forums and blogs I'd almost say there is more readily available info about Cebu than any other area of the Philippines. Secondly, everything you need can be found in Cebu...notice I said need...obviously its gonna be hard to find every western product you had back home in the Philippines, and if you do find it its gonna cost you. But there are plenty of nice malls, shops, restaurants and places to get a cold San Miguel. You can also get decent internet connection, cable, and reliable electricity. Rent is also affordable. Another thing that is attractive to me in Cebu is the relative rarity of Mother Nature....Typhoons, volcanoes and earthquakes.Bohol: Bohol is just a beautiful island, with nice beaches really close. I could definitely be a beach bum :nudie: Besides the beauty its also smaller and therefore less crowded and polluted than Cebu which is nice. I think Tagbilaran also would have everything you need to get by in the realm of decent rent, internet and cable. But it does not have the selection of malls and such as Cebu.Palawan...specifically El Nido: I will be honest in that I don't know a heck of a lot about El Nido. But from what I have found and the pictures I've seen, it seems like its one of the most beautiful places in the Philippines. The beach looks absolutely amazing.Davao: Like Cebu it is a large city and will have everything you need. Plenty of malls, good hospitals, and such. Plus it has the reputation of being one of the safest cities in the Philippines. So definitely worth a look.Baguio: Baguio seems like an idyllic mountain home for someone who can't take the heat of the rest of the Philippines. I actually prefer cooler weather....not frozen like when I was in Germany...but 70 is dang near perfect. From what I have read it seems to have everything you need also. Not near the selection of say Cebu or Davao, but enough. Plus rent seems to be cheaper as well as electric due to the cooler climate. Also it has a VFW that I could be involved with. Downside would be the typhoons and landslides.Bauang: This is a city that I will admit I have just discovered so I really don't know very much about it. What I do know is that it has nice beaches and it would be cheaper for rent than Cebu or Davao. Also, like Baguio is has a VFW. A VFW isn't a requirement, but it would give me something to be involved with.That rounds out my list as of now. Like I mentioned I have always considered Cebu my number 1 choice but thats because I know the most about Cebu do to the availability of info and my numerous visits. But I think some areas are worth a look. I think when I retire I may spend a few months just traveling around visiting all the areas that interest to see which area suites me best.I look forward to seeing what everyone else has to say.

• Like 5

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I haven't been to Davao though I've heard some pretty good reports on it. My list is very similar to you. The only consideration not mentioned is quality health care. If you are retired then you are getting older and when you get sick, a decent hospital is a real serious requirement. Cebu has a couple of okay hospitals so it meets my criteria. I love Bohol too but I don't know if there is a quality hospital easily accessible. I think I heard there was a good hospital in Tagbalaran The ferry ride across to Cebu is not what I consider easily accessible. Baguio City has a number of good to better hospitals, so that is one reason I'm parked here. I know one guy that lived on a nice remote island, all very pleasant and cheap, but he's dead for lack of quality health care. I kind of learned a lesson from that one. Quality of life, in terms of day to day activities is important. The Baguio VFW is sort of mostly Filipinos only these days, I think. Not positive since I'm not a member, but there was some sort of brouhahah and the VFW left the Red Lion and started a new restaurant down the street. Most of the old VFW guys started a new post associated with a different organization. Still lots of good work to be done around here if you've the mind to. La Union has one of the best VFW organizations and meeting halls. Food is excellent there and people drop by from all over to eat there. Lots of expats in the area, but it is warmer. It doesn't have quite the charm of the province but it does have a good mall and Baguio is only 45 minutes up the mountain. Okay, maybe an hour, it is all uphill.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I've said it before and I'll say it again...The top place for me is where a certain young lady is...!

• Like 2

Candyman
Posted
Posted

For me, it is basically anywhere on Cebu Island, mainly for the proximity to medical facilities. Then, Bantayan Island, specifically Santa Fe, it is beautiful there, and very much underated. I have also been virtually all over Bohol, and anywhere there is good too, for a laid back lifestyle. Next would come Panglao Island. It has a few interesting areas, which would warrant further investigation. Finally the town of San Carlos on Negros Island, is interesting. It is well spread out and not cramped like some other places, and has a good shopping mall there. I am not sure of the medical facilities, but it is a fair sized town, so should be OK.

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
I haven't been to Davao though I've heard some pretty good reports on it. My list is very similar to you. The only consideration not mentioned is quality health care. If you are retired then you are getting older and when you get sick, a decent hospital is a real serious requirement. Cebu has a couple of okay hospitals so it meets my criteria. I love Bohol too but I don't know if there is a quality hospital easily accessible. I think I heard there was a good hospital in Tagbalaran The ferry ride across to Cebu is not what I consider easily accessible. Baguio City has a number of good to better hospitals, so that is one reason I'm parked here. I know one guy that lived on a nice remote island, all very pleasant and cheap, but he's dead for lack of quality health care. I kind of learned a lesson from that one. Quality of life, in terms of day to day activities is important. The Baguio VFW is sort of mostly Filipinos only these days, I think. Not positive since I'm not a member, but there was some sort of brouhahah and the VFW left the Red Lion and started a new restaurant down the street. Most of the old VFW guys started a new post associated with a different organization. Still lots of good work to be done around here if you've the mind to. La Union has one of the best VFW organizations and meeting halls. Food is excellent there and people drop by from all over to eat there. Lots of expats in the area, but it is warmer. It doesn't have quite the charm of the province but it does have a good mall and Baguio is only 45 minutes up the mountain. Okay, maybe an hour, it is all uphill.
Thanks for the info Tatoosh. I guess that explains why out of the VFWs in the Philippines, the one in Baguio is the one I found the least info on, and also the only one I found that doesn't have a website...at least that I could find. A VFW in the area obviously is a minor factor in deciding where to live. It would be an added bonus but certainly not a requirement. Regarding the VFW you mentioned in La Union, is that the one in Bauang, or is there another one? The website for the one is Bauang is http://vfw9892.com

Curley
Posted
Posted

VFW? Veterans from war or something?I would add Samal Island to the list, only a few minutes away from Davao City by ferry yet a small Island whcih for me is far nicer than any city environment.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

VFW=Veterans of Foreign Warsvfw.jpg

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I've said it before and I'll say it again...The top place for me is where a certain young lady is...!
Thats certainly a deciding factor for many. However many also like to put some distance between themselves and their girlfriend's/wife's family...distance makes equals less likelihood that you will unannounced visitors showing up whenever they like. Also I would be willing to bet your girl would follow you anywhere you want to live. My girlfriend who's originally from General Santos (been living on the states since 2004) tells me she will live wherever I want....she considers the most important thing is being together, no matter the location.
I totally agree! But in my case I will have the opportunity to find out about some of the family no matter what... My sweetheart is actually back in university right now taking a teacher's course in special education for children with speech and hearing impediments... What used to be called deaf and mute... I'm trying to learn Cebuano and she is learning sign language! So until university is done...! hehe! Her mom lives in a neighbouring town but I'm not sure how far away so I imagine I will be seeing mom a fair amount... The important thing is my better half wants to be with me no matter where I am... so I will do my best to be where she would like to be and see where we go from there!

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My top two locations are Cebu and Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai, of course, not being in the Philippines. As the retirement possibility quickly firms into reality I am really looking for any advice on locations I can get. Cebu seems like a very good option. Big enough to have most everything I would want. But not Manilla big. And it is an easy place to travel from for nice vacations. So all I have really been looking at lately is what part of Cebu. I have heard some nice things about the Baguio cooler weather but the rainfall seems a bit much.