Kano prices,who is the blame

Bruce
Posted
Posted

This topic is slit from medical costs.The Boss Earlier today I was out at the fishing area of town and saw a man building a boat, all wood, maybe 50+ feet in length. I asked about the price and he says 1m. Then a couple of minutes later, my woman friend (walks slower then me) caught up and the price suddenly dropped to 800,000p.I am not a buyer, but if I was, I would not be seen until after the deal was done! No need to add in that Kano tax....

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

That is one thing that will be a problem for me. Well it is already a problem for me here in the US. There should be one set price. I don't care who makes how much. If this service or product cost this much, then that is the price everyone should pay. Heartless? Not really. Just tired of all the free loaders. But at least in the PI's it is a more honest mooching. Here in the US they are "entitled".

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted
That is one thing that will be a problem for me. Well it is already a problem for me here in the US. There should be one set price. I don't care who makes how much. If this service or product cost this much, then that is the price everyone should pay. Heartless? Not really. Just tired of all the free loaders. But at least in the PI's it is a more honest mooching. Here in the US they are "entitled".
Yeah Mr Ram, i think much the same way. I don't and won't bargain for anything, if the price is too high IMO i just say sorry can't afford it and walk away.I have noticed though once you become known in a particular place you eventually get treated like a local.You run into this problem with almost everything you buy in the Philippines right down to your daily Sun Star. Lived in Dumlog Talisay for a while and i used to walk up to the SRP where there was a paper boy selling papers to passing traffic every morning.First time i went to him i asked for a Sun Star and gave him P10. He looks at me stupid and says P20 sir. (no it wasn't Sunday either) I asked for the money back and he handed back my P10.I gave him back the paper and said "too much".As i walked away he said P10 sir, I said "nah, don't want it now" Call me a tightarse if you want but to me it's the principle of the thing. If everybody else is expected to pay P10 for a paper, then that is what i expect to pay.
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Sometimes other expats are the enemy. There is a place here where I get my haircut. He's good for a trim and only charges 25 pesos. But many foreigners go to him and every one of them says thats no enough and gives 40 pesos. I was fore warned so I did the same but an unknown foreigner would think he was getting robbed if he asked the price and the boy said that foreigners pay 40.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I got a haircut and beard trim today. Guy said 60p and I gave him 100p. In the US it would have been $15 + the beard trim.... I have seen signs around for 25p to 35p usually for a hair cut. I assume the malls in Manila or Cebu are much higher.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I got a haircut and beard trim today. Guy said 60p and I gave him 100p. In the US it would have been $15 + the beard trim.... I have seen signs around for 25p to 35p usually for a hair cut. I assume the malls in Manila or Cebu are much higher.
And that's why one day no one from the west will be able to afford to live there.Why do you compare what it would cost you in the US when you are not in the US? The next white guy comes along and the barber says P100 and then the next the barber says P120.This is why they all think we are rich and maybe so compared to them,forget it I'm shaking my head so much I cant see the keyboard.
  • Like 4

Bruce
Posted
Posted
And that's why one day no one from the west will be able to afford to live there.Why do you compare what it would cost you in the US when you are not in the US? The next white guy comes along and the barber says P100 and then the next the barber says P120.This is why they all think we are rich and maybe so compared to them,forget it I'm shaking my head so much I cant see the keyboard.
The price is actually set by supply and demand ratios. There are maybe 15 - 20 barber shops + stylists in this area. The price will go up or down depending on what the next shop charges. I don't see any price fixing as of yet.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The price is actually set by supply and demand ratios. There are maybe 15 - 20 barber shops + stylists in this area. The price will go up or down depending on what the next shop charges. I don't see any price fixing as of yet.
You say the signs say P35,the barber says P60 so already your over charged and then you give him P100.Most Expats living in the Phils are on pensions or not rich and then we hear complaints about the Kano prices. What I think is you and others are adding to the problem,its OK to give a little more but as I said you were over charged already.Now every time the barber or whoever sees a white face he thinks all will have the cash to pay a higher price.I can see it now,after saving for years to move to the Philippines permanently my dreams cut short after just 2 months as I will have to return to Australia where I can afford a haircut. :unsure:
  • Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)
post-404-0-07271700-1329220826_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-73325200-1329220752_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-00360500-1329220723_thumb.jpg
You say the signs say P35,the barber says P60 so already your over charged and then you give him P100.Most Expats living in the Phils are on pensions or not rich and then we hear complaints about the Kano prices. What I think is you and others are adding to the problem,its OK to give a little more but as I said you were over charged already.Now every time the barber or whoever sees a white face he thinks all will have the cash to pay a higher price.I can see it now,after saving for years to move to the Philippines permanently my dreams cut short after just 2 months as I will have to return to Australia where I can afford a haircut. :unsure:
I got a hair cut AND a beard trim. I have heard this same kano over paying logic from Lee many times. It is still supply and demand. In Florida... I go to a place I can afford. Maybe not the cheapest but certainly far from the most expensive. I assume it is the same in the Philippines. patrons needing a hair cut go to the place they can afford, in a geographical area. I could have stopped in to the place that says 25p outside but I did not.But don't you worry about your retirement there Tom... I will make sure there is ALWAYS a nipa hut here waiting for you with all the chicken feet, entrails and heads you can eat! There will always be a (leaky) roof to cover your head and plenty of (vomit here) food available! That is what friends are for.... Edited by Bruce