Kano prices,who is the blame

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I'm sure most barber shops have signs posted as to what services they provide! So why would anyone pay more than what's posted? Just give an appropriate tip if their service was excellent, if not, nada and shove on to where ever you're headed to next, like to an ARMY NAVY for a hamburger or Pancake House for brunch, lunch or whatever after an excellent or Sh&ty haircut! If you got a sh&ty haircut, I guess you won't be in a mood to eat anything and just stew for awhile until your angry red face subsides back to your normal color! :89: :grouphugg:

I guess you won't be in a mood to eat anything and just stew for awhile until your angry red face subsides back to your normal color! :541: :nudie:
Art,I am begining to worry about this food obsession of yours! Have you been watching the cooking channels AGAIN!
As a matter fact Bruce, we just had brunch today at the Pancake House and I didn't get a haircut, because I cut my own hair at home the way I like it! And I do watch the food channels almost every evening! :541:

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I just have one question for you Bruce. When you are in the U.S. and you get a haircut and the barber charges you $15, do you then give him $40 ? And if not why not?Just me but when i'm in the Philippines i try to think in pesos, not dollars.

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I just have one question for you Bruce.When you are in the U.S. and you get a haircut and the barber charges you $15, do you then give him $40 ? And if not why not?Just me but when i'm in the Philippines i try to think in pesos, not dollars.
No, he is a friend of mine and EACH time I get a hair cut I ALWAYS tip $1 with instructions to apply to his kids college fund so........................ he won't end up a BARBER!Being that I live in the US and come here frequently on a working vacation, I think in $$ and while many prices are similar to US prices or sometimes more, things like a hair cut are very cheap. So it is easy to justify to one's self the paying of 100p (tip included) for a hair cut / beard trim.Also....... now this might just be 'me'.... but I also give some money to older street beggars on Samar. Not to the professional muslim women beggars in Manila. ANd noty to the hordes of kids. The local family here is not used to seeing this and has on several occasions when I give 50p, it is TOO MUCH.My reply is always the same.... is this 50p going to make them young again? Cure their broken body? Pay their medical bills or just buy rice for 2-4 days and or a bottle of rum? NOTHING I can do (easilly) will change their situation in life. The 50p just helps ease the day a bit either thru rice or Tanduay....On past trips, I used to feed a lot of the homeless or abandoned kids at Jollibees. Last trip and this trip I (finally) got smart and now feed them at the local rice and dead fish stand(s) for 23 -27p each. A lot of the kids dropped off and the truly hungry kids are there every day waiting for me. So lit6tle by little I am learning and adjusting my spending habits!
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I just have one question for you Bruce.When you are in the U.S. and you get a haircut and the barber charges you $15, do you then give him $40 ? And if not why not?Just me but when i'm in the Philippines i try to think in pesos, not dollars.
No, he is a friend of mine and EACH time I get a hair cut I ALWAYS tip $1 with instructions to apply to his kids college fund so........................ he won't end up a BARBER!Being that I live in the US and come here frequently on a working vacation, I think in $$ and while many prices are similar to US prices or sometimes more, things like a hair cut are very cheap. So it is easy to justify to one's self the paying of 100p (tip included) for a hair cut / beard trim.Also....... now this might just be 'me'.... but I also give some money to older street beggars on Samar. Not to the professional muslim women beggars in Manila. ANd noty to the hordes of kids. The local family here is not used to seeing this and has on several occasions when I give 50p, it is TOO MUCH.My reply is always the same.... is this 50p going to make them young again? Cure their broken body? Pay their medical bills or just buy rice for 2-4 days and or a bottle of rum? NOTHING I can do (easilly) will change their situation in life. The 50p just helps ease the day a bit either thru rice or Tanduay....On past trips, I used to feed a lot of the homeless or abandoned kids at Jollibees. Last trip and this trip I (finally) got smart and now feed them at the local rice and dead fish stand(s) for 23 -27p each. A lot of the kids dropped off and the truly hungry kids are there every day waiting for me. So lit6tle by little I am learning and adjusting my spending habits!
I don't for one minute question your generosity Bruce and i have been reading about all the wonderful things you do whilst in the Philippines and i truly take my hat off to you sir.I do however agree 100% with Tom and for the life of me just can't understand why anyone feels the compulsion to pay out 2 or even 3 times what an item or service costs just because you see it as being cheap compared to your own country. This is exactly why we all have the "Kano Tax" problem.I've seen foreigners throwing money around like there is no tomorrow, they don't care as long as they have a good time and/or maybe they think it makes them feel like a king.( I'm not putting you in that catergory because i know you are not like that)but for the expats living in the country it is making their life harder than it otherwise needs to be.I have always been of the opinion that if i'm in Australia, a dollar buys what a dollar will buy. When i'm over there, a peso buys what a peso will buy, i don't see the need to continually cross reference while i'm there. Maybe i am just a tightarse but what the hell, i work hard for what i earn and i'm not about to give it away just to prove that i can pay more than someone else. :thumbsup:
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Maybe i am just a tightarse
No you're not. Some people seem to get an ego boost by helping the 'poor people' but one wonders if those same people would be the first to call the cops if a poor beggar was knocking on their door, with their hand out, in the country they are from.And yes, I helped needy people back in Canada in the same way I help them here. I give what they need at that moment, once the needs of self and family have been met. I am humbled by people who are able to do a better job of helping others when their help is needed. I do not feel the same way when someone is conducting a shameless display of wealth. For example. I have been known to buy 30 ice candies for 30 children at the same time but would not even consider giving 1 child 60 pesos for his or her college fund while the others have no candy.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Its not about charity its about paying for services such as every day things like haircuts,taxi,soap on a rope etc.The reason I split this topic is to get to the point that over paying for the purpose of its cheaper than back home or it feels good are not the best reasons to over pay.Now Bruce says when we talk about a haircut

I got a hair cut AND a beard trim. I have heard this same kano over paying logic from Lee many times. It is still supply and demand. In Florida... I go to a place I can afford. Maybe not the cheapest but certainly far from the most expensive. I assume it is the same in the Philippines. patrons needing a hair cut go to the place they can afford, in a geographical area. I could have stopped in to the place that says 25p outside but I did not.
Supply and demand? Now that your the only white face in the area already paying double what the sign says then you add another P40,in your logic then if 10 kanos move in next week then the price of a haircut will now be P300 as the demand for haircuts has increased so the kano price can too.As I said earlier, most living there are not rich or are on pensions,tell me Bruce would you still pay a lot extra if that was your only source of income? No and then you would see the logic of not inflation prices for everyone just because you only visit a few times a year and have a nest egg to give away.The more you pay for things like haircuts the more others will think that should be the Kano price, never ending cycle.
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
No, he is a friend of mine and EACH time I get a hair cut I ALWAYS tip $1 with instructions to apply to his kids college fund so........................ he won't end up a BARBER!
Forgot to comment on this.Takes all kinds to make the world go around,if everyone was a college grad and had their nose stuck up their bum then one day we all will have long hair. :thumbsup:

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow! Did someone put a 'KICK ME' sign on my back? :thumbsup: :SugarwareZ-034:

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
No, he is a friend of mine and EACH time I get a hair cut I ALWAYS tip $1 with instructions to apply to his kids college fund so........................ he won't end up a BARBER!
Forgot to comment on this.Takes all kinds to make the world go around,if everyone was a college grad and had their nose stuck up their bum then one day we all will have long hair. :thumbsup:
I agree! I myself am not a 'true' college grad... I got my degree with ACT / PEP and CLEP testing........ Which saved me a few years and since ii don't drink beer or ever desired to join a frat house.... I think I am better off not having attended a college.The part about his kid not becoming a barber is a joke between us..... Of course I too was once a 'barber' but with my damn luck...... they stopped shaving women when have a baby! So I was limited to a poodle cut for a C section patients....... :SugarwareZ-034:
  • Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Wow! Did someone put a 'KICK ME' sign on my back? :thumbsup: :SugarwareZ-034:
Yep, I did, you deserved it :dreams:
  • Like 1