Kano prices,who is the blame

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I refuse to tip for my haircut... :mocking: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I remember many years ago, my wife used to complain that I tip too much when we go out (if the service is good) and I finally told her... "Dear.... I have SEX with waitresses... so it is in my best interests to tip well." She never mentioned it again.
WOW ... you are a braver man than me Gunga Din ...... after that I'll bet you never asked HER to give you a haircut or trim your beard ...... especially with a straight razor ..... :mocking: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I had some time to kill one afternoon in Cebu. So I stopped in for a mani/pedi. Real men need their nails done too, you know. The posted price was manicure ₱50, pedicure ₱50. So with some quick mathematically skillz. I figured that was about ₱100. It took about an hour and I paid ₱100, then tipped ₱30. What would that have cost in north Texas? Who cares! I was in Cebu. And that is what it cost in Cebu. :tiphat:Seemed more than fair to me. :mocking:
Yeah... but in north Texas..... only a large animal vet would even think about touching your feet! :welcome:

• 5 years later...
GeoffH
Posted
Posted
On 2/14/2012 at 10:00 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:
On 2/14/2012 at 9:11 PM, Bruce said:

The next white guy comes along and the barber says P100 and then the next the barber says P120.This is why they all think we are rich and maybe so compared to them,forget it I'm shaking my head so much I cant see the keyboard.

I understand your original point though and I believe you're correct about paying extra for the same product or service.

And I'm not trying to be difficult but if the local price is P60 (for the sake of the discussion) and I offer P120 to jump the line is that ok or not ok?  Does that contribute to the problem or not?  Is it a different situation because I'm getting priority service?

(I must admit to having paid extra not to have to wait to on occasion)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I offer P120 to jump the line is that ok or not ok?  Does that contribute to the problem or not?

Yes, but you are not the only one so don't worry about it.

The locals I know seem to have learned to distinguish between foreigners who are fresh off the plane and those who have been here a while.  In fact, I have had one girl refuse to date me because she said she is looking for a "virgin foreigner".  When I asked what she meant she said:  "You foreigners who have been here so long know the filipino ways and are too cheap with your money.  I want one who just arrived in Philippines and still gives big tips when we go out and is very generous to my family and friends."

So I have learned that I am fine so long as I tell the barber or waiter or whoever that I am a long term foreigner with a tight budget.  Most of the time I get the local price and they expect a local sized tip when I do that.  But you are right, it does mean that I have to sit back and let the big tippers go in front, whether they be foreigners or local big shots.  Its always about the money.  Why do I tell them in advance?  I find it better they know in advance rather than make a flamboyant display of treating me special and then get let down when I only tip them a few pesos.

Such is my experience and opinion.  And yes, the big tippers eventually drive up the price for others but its a slow process.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I understand your original point though and I believe you're correct about paying extra for the same product or service.

And I'm not trying to be difficult but if the local price is P60 (for the sake of the discussion) and I offer P120 to jump the line is that ok or not ok?  Does that contribute to the problem or not?  Is it a different situation because I'm getting priority service?

(I must admit to having paid extra not to have to wait to on occasion)

WOW, quote from a 2012 post.

Yes I believe it's part of the problem. In your scenario most likely you are the only one that can afford to jump the line rather than wait so now the barber or who ever sees dollars signs when the next rich Kano enters so what do they expect ? 

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The locals do not like it when we pay too much as this can also drive up prices for them.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

The locals do not like it

Frankly I don't care, If I get better service because I tip well at a restaurant that I regularly patronize, or my barber give me a tad better service while others are waiting, or our normal Pedi cab driver sees us coming and hustles up to us to grab us as a fare, its their look out. 

There are many disadvantages to being a foreigner here (as we have all seen in topics here) so by Golly, I am going to grab onto the main advantage we have and wring it for all its worth :nudie:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, scott h said:

I am going to grab onto the main advantage we have and wring it for all its worth :nudie:

I have to thank people like you for keeping my rose coloured glasses off. :thumbsup:  The other day I was out for breakfast with a bunch of guys and only 2 of us were (technically) single.  So the pretty waitress was fawning all over me and it was going to my head, until the other single guy at the table left a 100 peso tip for a 200 peso breakfast and I only left 20.  Never saw her again :morning1:  Had I been looking for a date, that other guy's big tip would have saved me a bundle of headaches and a pocket full of cash from dating the "wrong kind of girl".

6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

WOW, quote from a 2012 post.

It must mean people are using the search function and that's a good thing, right?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

pocket full of cash

As the Beatles song goes, "money cant buy you love" (just lust lol)

But as Julius Caesar said "money can buy you loyalty"

:thumbsup::hystery:

• Like 1