Rice Rice Rice How......

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I'd steer clear of large amounts of MSG. Some folks want to portray it as responsible or aggravating everything from Attention Deficit Disorder to Rosacia. And high blood pressure is on the list since they say it acts as a constrictor on blood vessels. I have some reservations about the many claims which often do not cite source material and may well be jumping to unwarranted conclusions. But better to be safe than sorry. And best to have her consult a doctor to be sure.I remember watching one cooking show where they brought in a large group of diners, broke them into 2 groups without telling them, and fed them apparently identical meals. After the diners finished eating, they were informed that some some of them had MSG as part of their meal. A number of them said they could tell. But when it was revealed which half actually ingested MSG, more than 50 percent of those claiming symptoms from MSG did not eat any. The joy of a single blind test. Psychosomatic reaction aka "the placebo effect".

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Art ...... just got done eating a big bowl of Kare-Kare ....... ummmmmmmm good .... :hystery:
Mike, Kare-Kare isn't complete unless you have the shrimp alamang with it! ummmmm good! :mocking:
Art 3 things I do not eat ...... balut ........ ampalaya and shrimp paste ........ doubt if I ever require a taste for any of those .... :hystery:
  • Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Art ...... just got done eating a big bowl of Kare-Kare ....... ummmmmmmm good .... :hystery:
Mike, Kare-Kare isn't complete unless you have the shrimp alamang with it! ummmmm good! :mocking:
Art 3 things I do not eat ...... balut ........ ampalaya and shrimp paste ........ doubt if I ever require a taste for any of those .... :hystery:
Shrimp paste???? is that like LIVER PATE' ???? UCK!
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
Art ...... just got done eating a big bowl of Kare-Kare ....... ummmmmmmm good .... :dance:
Mike, Kare-Kare isn't complete unless you have the shrimp alamang with it! ummmmm good! :hystery:
Shrimp paste???? is that like LIVER PATE' ???? UCK!
Oh no Mike! Rice, Kare-Kare and shrimp paste aka alamang must go together, because it's like Roy Rogers & Dale Evens without Trigger! It's a Filipino thing! No Kare-Kare, no shrimp paste, then no rice altogether! No dinner! :mocking: I also like goose liver pate on crackers! Balut and ampalaya I can also do without, I hate the sh&t! :541:Also a little "warning" about shrimp paste aka alamang! The majority of Filipinos love their shrimp pate along with green mangoes as a snack, let alone with their Kare-Kare dishes! Be aware where you buy or consume shrimp paste especially from street sidewalk vendors, because some shrimp paste may have high levels of the ecoli bacteria or due to other unsanitary conditions in which they were prepared! Me personally, we only buy the bottled Barrio Fiesta brand shrimp paste to be on the safe side! Here's a site, but it could pertain to other areas of the Philippines concerning red tide affected areas: http://www.goldstard...rning-list.html Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

For a while on our ship we had almost all Filipinos as cooks.Just kind of worked out that way. They started serving rice with lunch and dinner every day.Enough people complained so they had to serve potatoes sometimes. But they couldn't cook rice without a rice cooker so it was crunchy and was the worst rice I ever had.I like rice but I can take it or leave it.

• Like 1

daisy
Posted
Posted

I make it a point not to eat rice anymore for breakfast...working on eating rice ones a day now for health reason! If there's a day I can't eat rice, it's truly a BIG deal for for me..an accomplishment for this poor Filipina who used to eat rice 3 times a day!!!! LOL!

• Like 4

Curley
Posted
Posted
I make it a point not to eat rice anymore for breakfast...working on eating rice ones a day now for health reason! If there's a day I can't eat rice, it's truly a BIG deal for for me..an accomplishment for this poor Filipina who used to eat rice 3 times a day!!!! LOL!
Good for you Daisy, it's rather like Americans and their love of "pappy" white bread, it's what you've been reared on. I cannot understand why brown rice is not used far more in poor countries, no milling costs so it should be cheaper and far more nutritional and flavourful.
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I tried brown rice once and even wild rice! In a word, "YUK"! Each to their own! :mocking: There's just nothing like the Filipino fried rice with a side dish of pork or chicken BBQ! :541:

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Perhaps it wasn't cooked properly? After all you only tried them once.