Philippines Expats, What Karaoke Songs To Avoid?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

When asked to join in a Karaoke song-fest with Filipinos attending the local drinking eating establishment what songs should the inexperienced Expat or Foreigner visitor best avoid?I think we all know about "My Way" attracting gunplay."Short People" (Randy Newman) is right out! Most Filipinos will take offence the lyrics literal meaning unknowing the figurative meaning has to do with short tempered and closed minded ether way this choice could end poorly.Anything by Frank Zappa, Yellow Snow for the obvious reason and It Just Might Be a One-Shot Deal for many good reasons. Your suggestions and comments are welcome.

• Like 1

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

I personally avoid all songs....because I couldn't carry a tune if it had a handle :dance:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Don't sing the local songs about Basketball or flowers (Bulaklak) because they have nothing to do with Basketball or flowers. (Unless you are single and then you might just get '3 points' )

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hummmmm .... so I guess "Short Fat Fanny" is out also ..... or anything sung by "Flip Wilson" ....... glad you brought up the topic of Karaoke ..... I have yet to see how anyone who sings so far off key can get up time after time ... drunk .... and continue to butcher songs in pretense to making music ...... and before someone says "it's in or culture" hog-wash ..... Karaoke ain't been around that long ...... :hystery: :hystery: ...... we have a neighbor next door to us who is in her (I guess) her early 20's ..... when she washes clothes out back the only thing separating us is a 10ft high concrete wall ...... she puts on her ear phones and begins to bleat like a wounded water buffalo ...... the poor girl couldn't carry a tune in 2 bushel baskets ..... now I admit I can't sing ..... but then I don't shatter other peoples eardrums with my racket ....... IMHO ...... :mocking: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted
we have a neighbor next door to us who is in her (I guess) her early 20's ..... when she washes clothes out back the only thing separating us is a 10ft high concrete wall ...... she puts on her ear phones and begins to bleat like a wounded water buffalo ...... the poor girl couldn't carry a tune in 2 bushel baskets .... :mocking: :hystery: :hystery:
Sounds like time for you to dig out your earphones!
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
the poor girl couldn't carry a tune in 2 bushel baskets
You're lucky you don't live next door to us. I think I am the only foreigner to ever receive a written complaint from his filipino neighbors for singing karaoke too loud. And then there's the dog. There are certain songs he likes and whenever they come on he HOWLS. I swear he thinks he is singing because he howls in some kind of tune to the music, always the same way and always to the same tunes. His favorite is Journey: Faithfully. He can hear that on the karaoke 2 miles away (dogs have good hearing) and he starts singing. awooo Awooooooooooo! No joke.PS: When I got that written complaint, it was not me doing the singing but my guests. I just happen to be the tenant so I was threatened with: We will take it to a higher authority if you do not comply blah blah
  • Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Sounds like time for you to dig out your earphones!
:mocking: :hystery: :hystery: ..... I found a way around it .... I just start playing my computer games with my head phones on ..... thank god she doesn't wash at night .... :hystery: :hystery:
  • Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
When asked to join in a Karaoke song-fest with Filipinos attending the local drinking eating establishment what songs should the inexperienced Expat or Foreigner visitor best avoid?
Anything you can't sing.Then make sure you clap politely no matter how badly others are singing.Regards; Jim

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
the only thing separating us is a 10ft high concrete wall ...... she puts on her ear phones and begins to bleat like a wounded water buffalo ...... the poor girl couldn't carry a tune in 2 bushel baskets ..... now I admit I can't sing ..... but then I don't shatter other peoples eardrums with my racket ....... IMHO ...... :hystery: :hystery: :mocking:
Just put some bagpipe music on and blast it! It works on the Mexican polka music in my neighborhood. Music - the international language.As for karaoke... you won;t ever see me doing it.
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I used to do just the reverse ....... I played Mexican polka music to drowned out the rap-crap ...... the rappers hated Mexican music ...... :hystery:

• Like 1