Has Anyone Traveled With An Infant Other Than Their Own Child?

jayjayrp
Posted
Posted

I have a five month old grandson. His parents are not married, and his is my son's child. I would like to get a passport for the child and return for at least a visit, to our home in the Philippines. Any suggestions? Anyone traveled with a small child that is not their own? I am an American citizen, my asawa is a Filipina and we live part of the year in Marinduque and part of the year in Texas. Any information along this line will be very helpful.JJ

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I have a five month old grandson. His parents are not married, and his is my son's child. I would like to get a passport for the child and return for at least a visit, to our home in the Philippines. Any suggestions? Anyone traveled with a small child that is not their own? I am an American citizen, my asawa is a Filipina and we live part of the year in Marinduque and part of the year in Texas. Any information along this line will be very helpful.JJ
I know how to do that if you're Canadian but I'm not sure if it works the same in the States or not... Best bet is to contact a lawyer and confirm what is needed. I'm assuming you'll need power of attorney, notorized letters from both your son and the baby's mom, of course the proper papers for the baby and, if I was you. a big bottle of liquid pacifier for the flight. It seems like every baby on a flight will either sleep the whole way or scream the whole way... Good luck!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife went to Manila from Cebu to pick up her 2 nieces and bring them back. She told me it was a good thing that her brother and his wife were both at the airport to see her off as Philippine Airlines were not going to let her bring the children without approval from both parents.I was not there myself and I do know that the airline employees tend to 'power trip' when they see a filipina traveling by herself and unsure of the rules. Were I you, I would cover my ass with signed and notarized letters from both parents complete with pics and thumbprints to be sure. (No joke, but thats just the kind of thing I do to be absolutely sure of no screw ups).

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If the child was born in the US he is an American citizen and will need a US passport to travel out of the country. This article has the details but basically both parents and the child are required to appear in person with proof of parentage for the passport. Once that is issued you will need a notarized "Permission to Travel" letter signed by both parents. I would still check with the airline to make sure you have everything required before leaving. They are understandably very strict about this.

• Like 1

jayjayrp
Posted
Posted

Bob, I seem to always get next to the screamers. I guess Ijust do not notice the quiet kids that sleep the whole trip. Thanks for the infor. We are working with a lawyer. Blessings, JJ

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
if I was you. a big bottle of liquid pacifier for the flight. It seems like every baby on a flight will either sleep the whole way or scream the whole way... Good luck!
For babies, the excessive screaming usually happens as the plane ascends and descends. The changes in air pressure bothers their ears. The solution is to give them the bottle during this time. Usually, they sleep during most of the flight. I suspect the reason is the vibration generated by the engines. Small children have a similar problem with the changes in air pressure. It's best to give them a snack like one of those really hard teething crackers. The on board boredom and lack of exercise opportunity causes them to cry out of irritation. Best thing is to make them run around at the departure terminal. Just hold their hands and go for a brisk walk. (Take them to an empty section of the terminal.) Another is to walk them around the cabin when the carts are not in the aisles. You can also request for bulkhead seats when traveling with infants and children. The flight attendants can install a crib. Smaller children have extra space to play on the floor. We use a couple of airline blankets. My wife would gift wrap our children's old toys with lots of tape. It took them forever to unwrap and curiousity as to what's inside kept them distracted. She gift wrapped one small toy for every hour of flight. Both of our children did their first trans Pacific flight at six or eight weeks old. As soon as their pediatrician gave the all clear, I booked the tickets. My wife and I had to travel on business and we always took the boys with us. Our granddaughter is getting the same treatment. From San Diego, she went to the United Kingdom and France twice last year, one cruise to Alaska and the Panama Canal, and one trip to Hawaii. Edited by JJR

• 3 weeks later...
DavidandBless
Posted
Posted

Just make sure you have the kids passport, a letter of "Permit to Travel"-it has to be notarize and a roundtrip ticket.