Euthanasia....opinions

i am bob
Posted
Posted
As we're generally a load of old codgers on here I thought I would pose this question. Personally if I was dribbling, pissing, crapping, uncontrollaby with no hope of a cure I would rather be given a nice little sleeping pill or injection and allowed to pass away peacefully. Your thoughts?
I used to think that way but I have been written off and not expected to live around 5 or 6 times now... Wrapped my bike around a tree at 60 mph, again slid backwards off a hairpin turn / top of the cliff fun on the bike (wrapped around another tree about 8 feet out from the edge of the cliff, meningitus and encephalitis was good for 3 times (I kept telling the priest I wasn't catholic but he kept trying to save my soul as he and the docs thought I was going up, I mean down to heck), and heart failure with my heart enlarged to over twice the normal size. I don't count the time I washed off the back end of the flight deck while yachting the (very far) North Atlantic... As we were at Flying Stations at the time, I rolled into and back out of the nets (which were down for the Helo launch) and just walked in the next deck down from the flight deck. Man overboard was called and they couldn't find me in the water... I was too busy sucking down as many beers as I could get my hands on to worry about them! :hystery: Anyways, there you are! 6 times I wasn't expected to make it and fooled them all!!! So I say no! No Kool-Aid - purple or otherwise - for me!!!It helps that I'm IMMORTAL!!! And, so I've been told, that's just another word for "too stupid to be dead"! :hystery:

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
As we're generally a load of old codgers on here I thought I would pose this question. Personally if I was dribbling, pissing, crapping, uncontrollaby with no hope of a cure I would rather be given a nice little sleeping pill or injection and allowed to pass away peacefully. Your thoughts?
Who you calling an old codger? :lol:I couldn't agree more. I've heard assisted suicide isn't natural or dignified.....well what's dignified about crapping, pissing and drooling on yourself?? When ( if I live that long) I get to the point where I can't take care of myself and I'm a burden to others, hopefully they will just give q dose of morphine and let me go to sleep. That will be doing me and them a favor.
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
if I was dribbling, pissing, crapping, uncontrollaby with no hope of a cure
I felt like that once. Luckily I sobered up in the morning and swore never to do that again.Joking aside, I watched my father go through that. I asked him if there was anything he wanted me to do, like give him too much of his morphine and leave the room. He said no. He said he was dribbling and pissing and crapping and moaning because he was fighting to stay alive. If he wanted to go he would just give up and let go. . . . which he eventually did.
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
Who you calling an old codger? :lol:I couldn't agree more. I've heard assisted suicide isn't natural or dignified.....well what's dignified about crapping, pissing and drooling on yourself?? When ( if I live that long) I get to the point where I can't take care of myself and I'm a burden to others, hopefully they will just give q dose of morphine and let me go to sleep. That will be doing me and them a favor.
Excellent thought provoking question Curley! My parents who are in their late 80's finally decided towrite a living will. It's really helpful to coordinate last minute preparations rather than last minute crisismanagement. I will probably do something similar, making damn sure someone pulls the plug when I'm on my deathbed. I think I lived the good life with a wonderful and supporting family. Why should I burden themunnecessarily? Allow me to die with honor without looking at myself rotting away. Just put me on abanca boat with a case of San Magoo, heading towards the sunset......
  • Like 3

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
Just put me on abanca boat with a case of San Magoo, heading towards the sunset......
I'll drink to that :23_11_62[1]:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Pros & cons about Euthanasiahttp://euthanasia.procon.org/Sounds complicated, but by living here in the Philippines we may go unnoticed! If I can no longer fend for myself, just give me something to end my misery of a living dead and just cremate me without any fanfare, it's quicker and cheaper! Just concerned about life insurances for our survivors being null and void due to the use of euthanasia! Any legal answers or solutions?

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I agree with Tatoosh! Let us make our own decisions - either for or against - but the government doesn't have the right to say if we have the choice or not!

• Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted

Very good topic to see opinions on. My wife, if I can even get her to calmly discuss death, has finally accepted that I prefer to slip away with no resuscitation if we find me in that incontinent or vegetative state... for us, it was a good thing to discuss as her plan was to keep me "dribbling, pissing, crapping, uncontrollably" as long as possible because she is so afraid of death. I had no idea until we talked about it that she thought that way, a topic many do not talk about but possibly should while not in the calamity of the situation. I could see her points as I guess death is something we come to grips with as we age, well some do. So she has that written instruction, I have made my family in the US aware of it and as Tatoosh mentions feeling, there seemed to be a feeling of, I do not think relief is the correct wording... possibly, "release", in her knowing I had that talk with my older children and that my wishes were in writing, it made my desires more real to her and though she insists that she will still gladly be cleaning up any bodily fluids no matter what, I think she understands my wishes are to not unnaturally extend my life when that time arrives. And as Art2ro says, "just cremate me without any fanfare, it's quicker and cheaper! " My ashes will be helping the next corn crop grow on our land in Carcar.