Filipino Shortsightedness Simple Things That Kill Tourism

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Creating a fun slogan is one thing, addressing the seemingly insurmountable needs of the nation another. Even if there were billions of dollars (and the ability to administer it) why would the government spend it to turn the country into a tourist mecca when a good percentage of visitors are sex tourists and millions of their own citizens are starving and dying because of a lack of adequate medical care? As the country is hit over and over with natural calamities. We have the luxury of complaining about water on the floor of the airport CR, the average Filipino could not relate to it.
I think this 'sex tourist / sexpat' label is a bit over used. Assuming we are talking about a single (at that moment) man booking a vacation in Phils who wants to meet and have sex with one or more women.OK! He still is paying air fare, still has to eat and (maybe) drink a bit. Shopping is a good possibility. Taxi... sure thing. So while the stated goal might be some gratuitous sex, he is still spending money which helps a lot more people than a just a sex worker.No, lets compare the above to say a Star Trek situation... in the year 2459, there are such things as transporter... and it is quite possible to 'transport' from one location to another for an hour or three..... THAT guy, who is simply transporting INTO a sex area for sex only and then back OUT, would be a true sex tourist.Even a guy who books an online tour to visit multiple bars / brothels / or some guy who arrainges mulitple meetings with women off a dating site... STILL is adding money into the general economy. It is a big difference between a 'Gary Glitter' tourist and a man who wants to deal with an adult sex worker(s) only. But the line between the two has been blurred and the single male traveler looking for a nice vacation and quality time with a woman is not being brushed with the paint brush that the media uses to write articles about child molesters.I suppose there are no sex workers in Las Vegas or Atlantic City or (quick, think of a tourist attraction in OZ .... NO! Not Ayers Rock! a place with a sex worker might be found) or Amsterdam .... although I do hear that Holland is very popular with lesbians.... something about a lot of Dykes or so I understand.....
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I have been to shopping malls in Metro Manila that offered both free toilets and "special facilities" with a P10 service charge. There is always an attendant present to clean and wipe immediately after you are finished. I thought it was a great idea. Provides badly need employment for unskilled workers.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have been to shopping malls in Metro Manila
That reminds me of the 'new' (its a year old now) Gaisano in Ormoc. The only place could find with a public CR had a girl charging 10 pesos entrance. I had only a 1,000 peso note. She had nowhere near enough change. Do you think she would let me pee? No. Its 'Come back in a while sir. So I went to a coffee place to see if I could get change and they would not give me change so I went back and told the girl, with my best smile, that I really needed to pee and would pay her double next time. She let me in. (I did go back and give her the 10p later in the day.Update: Was at the Gaisano in Ormoc again today. There is a free CR at the food court. Keep it in mind if you don't have the 10 Pesos for the upstairs one. Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Hmm, what if all the sexpat tourists coming were gay? All the female GROs would be whining big time! To be honest, if a guy has a healthy sex drive, it really doesn't make him a criminal except to feminists and the BAC missionaries. Provided his interest is in age legal and consensual adults, I really don't care where they go. When I hear from guys, which has happened about coming from the States for an "outing" I tend to point them toward Thailand if they want to do the short time thing. If they are looking for a relationship, I point them toward the Philippines. The Thai's don't have quite the same judgmental attitude toward the whole GRO thing as Westerners and the more conservative Filipinos.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The Thai's don't have quite the same judgmental attitude toward the whole GRO thing as Westerners
I don't see Westerners as having a judgmental attitude. Some of the best GRO's are in Nevada (I know), Amstersam (I've heard), and King's Cross, Sydney (I've been told)The only thing Westerners seem to have against Philippines as a sex destination is that the men are 'taking advantage' of the poor. which means that Westerners think its ok so long as the sex tourists pay enough money.
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Creating a fun slogan is one thing, addressing the seemingly insurmountable needs of the nation another. Even if there were billions of dollars (and the ability to administer it) why would the government spend it to turn the country into a tourist mecca when a good percentage of visitors are sex tourists and millions of their own citizens are starving and dying because of a lack of adequate medical care? As the country is hit over and over with natural calamities. We have the luxury of complaining about water on the floor of the airport CR, the average Filipino could not relate to it.
I see nothing wrong with your statement and totally agree that in most cases, the average Filipino willlook the other way -- the "bahala na" attitude, rather than complain about obvious injustice, corruptionand government incompetence. As case in point, is some inconsiderate douche bag, jerk, A-hole will cut in line in front of you and you're the next one in line at the Jollibee counter. No one else will complain about it, except me. Believe me, I complain loudly......Anyway, this whole thread appears to be going more and more negative about PI in general. I think we(me) should all take a chill pill today......Respectfully -- Jake
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you Jake for bringing this train wreck back on topic. It was my hope we could keep things honest but not too negitive.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Thank you Jake for bringing this train wreck back on topic. It was my hope we could keep things honest but not too negitive.
The topic is basically , What Kills Tourism so no matter what it will be negativity as what else is there to say?
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
The Thai's don't have quite the same judgmental attitude toward the whole GRO thing as Westerners and the more conservative Filipinos.
Thais are Bhuddist. The branch of Bhuddism practiced in Thailand and Myanmar (Burma) is very tolerant and forgiving. There is also a region in Thailand that is Muslim. Thailand and Japan were two Asian countries that avoided Western colonialism.. While there is always the sex trade in any community, it openly flourished in the Philippines and Thailand because of the Vietnam War. Both locations were the main R&R destinations for GIs. Everyone, including the top brass in the US military, turned a blind eye. What you see in the large red light districts are the remnants from that period.During the Korean conflict, the GIs were sent to Japan for R&R, but most of their red district are no longer attracting foreigners. Too expensive. Edited by JJR

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Other than sex which either makes tourism thrive or dive what else makes it negative for tourism in the Philippines.Topic is "what Kills Tourism" ExampleTransportAccommodationRoadsWarCorruption21 day VisaPoliceMedialYou Name ItPlease don't loose the topic in sexpat crap as the subject is ; "what kills tourism not what gives you head". :yes:

• Like 1