Legal Question/ Pinoy Logic / Outcomes

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Well, I bristled a bit at JJR's view that Europeans and Americans are the only ones telling the world how to run itself. Not all that long ago, Japan wanted to be the first among equals in their "Co-Prosperity Sphere".
Your reference is the theory of conquest and the right of the conqueror to do whatever they want. This was the justification since way back before the establishment of the Roman Empire. Japan's brutality during WWII is well documented. Were the Japanese more brutal or just equally as brutal as everyone else? More important, are the Japanese still continuing with their practice of brutality? Can we say the same for Americans who after WWII were involved in the Korean War, Vietnam War, Iraqi War, Afghan War, etc.? We still have other enemies to defeat including North Korea and Iran. Going back to the discussion of sexual morality started by Bruce, there is a semi-nomadic tribe in India that practices prostitution almost like a religion. The men are 100% parasites who rely solely on the earnings of the women in their tribal group. Once the women are no longer attractive, they marry. Their popularity as partners is based on how much wealth was accumulated during their professional years. One of their customs is selling virginity. It commands a high price, but Indian customers like to bargain so the tribe has learned to seek foreigners. The young girl does not get to keep the money. It goes towards paying for a big party where everyone from her community is invited. The celebration is similar to a wedding except there is no groom. This is her coming out party as a prostitute until the time no one wants her services.This is child abuse since the girls are not yet eighteen when they start earning money as prostitutes. An Evangelical Christian group wants our government to pressure the Indian government to stop it. If this Christian group is smart, they can turn it into a campaign issue and blame President Barack Obama. I was going to suggest a simplier solution. Let's just do a fundraiser and buy everyone in the tribe a sewing machine so they can start a new profession. (I sometimes become cynical when others attempt to impose their moral superiority.)
  • Like 1

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bruce: Oh, you say they don't want to kill you, but we'll see what you happens when they get you dancing with the venomous snakes. Christians, having been burnt at the stake, courtesy of Nero needing to light the arena at night, returned the favor as time went on. The "auto de fey" which was an act of "faith" for the Spanish Church, was quite as enthusiastic as old heathen Nero. Born agains generally don't burn at the stake except for their offshoot KKK (not the Filipino KKK) that seemed quite fond of both Christianity and Kerosene.JJR, yep, the Japanese are now the docile nice guys. Wonder why. Do you think they would have "reformed" their activities had they won? Is the self-criticism that is a feature of much of Western progress a feature of Asian, Middle Eastern and other societies? The USA is not the sterling angel that the jingoist of the late 18th century and early 19th century envisioned. They are, however, heads and shoulders above many other countries in terms of their actions historically. Do you hold North Korea as a good thing. I consider having them as an enemy quite fine, I would hate to count them among my friends. Nor Iran for that matter. I am sure there are some great Iraqi citizens, but the country right now is cesspool of hate. Afghanistan will soon become one too. Just like Libya is on the path too. Was the previous leader good? No. Is the extremist Muslims vying for power something we can be satisfied to have assisted? Not so much. Bashing the USA and euro-centrism is what it is. Noting their mistakes is very worthwhile. Pretending everyone else isn't hot on making them too is delusional in my view, but reasonable men may differ. I do agree to that.

Edited by Tatoosh
  • Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
But my question here is about relationships. Say a 15, 16 or 17yr old girl. Can her family enter into an agreement with a foreigner to 'allow' her to have a relationship with him and then the law regarding consent under 18 is ignored? Can the government still bring a case?
I have not read all the replies so may be repeating something.Here are the laws that say you can'thttp://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno9208.htmlhttp://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno7610.htmlThe Filipino parents as well as the foreigner have been prosecuted using these laws.Regards: Jim
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I'm just sorry but I just don't see it ...... but who would want to marry a 14 yo girl ...... for love ...... bull crap ..... in other countries they can marry much younger but no sex until the girl comes of age and many times the girl continues to live with her parents ...... do you suppose that this person who wants to marry this under aged girl is going to be willing to wait until she could be able to comfortably bare his children .... is an under aged girl going to have the mental capacity to take control of a house hold ...... can you imagine all the poor families who would be willing to sell their under aged daughters to a foreigner to further their position in life ...... me personally I could care less what they do ...... bahala sila

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I'm just sorry but I just don't see it ...... but who would want to marry a 14 yo girl ...... for love ...... bull crap ..... in other countries they can marry much younger but no sex until the girl comes of age and many times the girl continues to live with her parents ...... do you suppose that this person who wants to marry this under aged girl is going to be willing to wait until she could be able to comfortably bare his children .... is an under aged girl going to have the mental capacity to take control of a house hold ...... can you imagine all the poor families who would be willing to sell their under aged daughters to a foreigner to further their position in life ...... me personally I could care less what they do ...... bahala sila
I have something to say that I will PM you...... hehehehehe

daisy
Posted
Posted

As a born again Christian, I am not here to agree or disagree anyone's point of view, all I could do is just pray for my own capacity to understand.Anyway, about three year ago, I've met a couple that fits to this discussion. 15 year old girl and 65 year old foreigner coming from a one week trip in Camiguin. If I was not a Christian then, I would be disgusted for my first normal reaction would be to judge them It would not then be acceptable for me as a high morale and educated Filipina. huh! the hypocrisy then!!!! Instead I befriended the girl, who look like crying in our next table, asked her what happened? where they came from? and if her parents knew all these. To my surprised, her parents knew and that she was a 3rd year high school student who just took absences from her class to go with the guy. Asked her if the guy gave money to her parents, she said yes. It was then I turned the conversation to English, introduced myself to the guy, as a filipina married to a foreigner, talk some blah blah about CDO and the Expats here and even talked about Expat's forum. Then I shared about my own experiences on how me and my husband struggle on cultural differences and issues. Then I innocently asked, is she your fiancée? He readily said of course NO!!! Then I looked at the girl, then she said, "Tita, can I go to my Mama and papa? they're waiting at Mcdo." She left with her backpack without even saying goodbye to the guy. Then I called my husband who was setting next table with some of our friends then later we knew it was his last night in CDO for he will be flying back the next day! Another story, just very recently, 71 year old guy, with an 18 year old girl. He even went to the extent of hiring a detective to check on the girl's family background and if what she was telling him were true. he got a positive feedback from the couple that he hired so he visited CDO late last year. I was introduced to the girl before his arrival, and I told her right away, it's not easy, she should be EXTRA careful, extra patient....considering their age difference, The guy arrived, they lived together, so I thought everything were ok. I never saw her again except on facebook. I also don't know the guy. Then only last week i knew, through his "detective" that the guy went back to the US for good after a month together....they separated as friends!!!!As far as I am concerned, there is no logic to it...NOTHING! but if there is, I will call it magic!!!!

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will exit from this discussion topic since it is a sensitive issue, although I am glad Bruce brought it up. Reminds me of a group of friends, all males, whose business was selling baby products on line to American and Canadian mothers. In the chat room, the moderator brought up the topic, "Should you spank or not spank a child?" It got so bad the mothers were calling the product sales 1-800 number linked to a call center in India. The operators tried to be sympathetic to no avail. Next, the mothers started calling the clients, manufacturers like Hasbro, to complain. I told them, "Just turn over the business to your wives." They wouldn't listen. Another topic that got them into trouble was, "Should you allow a small child to sleep in the same bed as the parents?"

Edited by JJR

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

And religion is a problem topic and not permitted on this forum because of it being the type of thing that will upset someone;so just move away from that in posts please.

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
And religion is a problem topic and not permitted on this forum because of it being the type of thing that will upset someone;so just move away from that in posts please.
Well, I have sent some religion related PMs as to not violate the rules! PLEASE don't hit me! I am trying..... :hystery:

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I do apologize to the group here if any of my personal rants violate the rules. I tend to believe in both the free exchange of ideas and spirited discussions that argue ideas, but are not disrespectful to the individual who holds them. I respect JJR and his experience in life and that he has his own views about history and culture. I respect Daisy and her patience to experience and understand those around her. We each bring different things to the table. I very much respect JGF for keeping his forum an excellent place to hang out, share, discuss and never devolves into ad hominem sorts of attacks.

• Like 2