Philippines Department Of Labor Wants Less Holidays

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I am bob, so you know that many worker types have only one day off, Sunday. So if there was no Sunday shopping, just when do you think they get to buy their necessities?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
I for one am in favour of no shopping on Sundays
I live in a rural, province town of maybe 10K people (just a rough guess) and there is no Sunday shopping and no shopping after 6 PM. Come on down!(Actually, what shopping there is . . well its somewhat limited. But you can get the bare necessities here and drive an hour and a half for the rest) Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am bob, so you know that many worker types have only one day off, Sunday. So if there was no Sunday shopping, just when do you think they get to buy their necessities?
And when they are working 7 days a week, when do they get to buy these things? It was better when people worked only 6 days but many of them are now told they either work it all or no more job! And many who are self-employed have no option but to work every day just to offer what others are offering. At least with one day off a week, they can spend some time with their families. Edited by i am bob

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Well, each has their own experience here. I know that some get drafted for continuous work, but I've only seen that for holidays. I had that happen to me in the States, working 3 or 4 weeks straight without a day off during Christmas holidays way back when. I suppose that some will abuse their help, but I have seen lots of Filipinos walk away from jobs that demanded too much or did not offer enough rewards. Even fairly poor Filipinos. They are not serfs. Perhaps harder to walk away in the province where there are fewer options, but here in Baguio City, I don't see it as a major problem. The problem is more likely that the folks get fired after 6 months or a year so that the employer doesn't become responsible for greater benefits. But that is here and not where you are so I don't want to assume it is the same *everywhere*.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
Well, each has their own experience here. I know that some get drafted for continuous work, but I've only seen that for holidays. I had that happen to me in the States, working 3 or 4 weeks straight without a day off during Christmas holidays way back when. I suppose that some will abuse their help, but I have seen lots of Filipinos walk away from jobs that demanded too much or did not offer enough rewards. Even fairly poor Filipinos. They are not serfs. Perhaps harder to walk away in the province where there are fewer options, but here in Baguio City, I don't see it as a major problem. The problem is more likely that the folks get fired after 6 months or a year so that the employer doesn't become responsible for greater benefits.But that is here and not where you are so I don't want to assume it is the same *everywhere*.
I know where you are coming from and I understand why. But things are changing again in the last few years. Here in Canada there is a law saying you can only work 44 hours without overtime pay and then there is a limit of how many hours a day you can work and how many days straight, etc... Unfortunately jobs are scarce and I now know personally about a dozen people who are working 7 days a week and nothing shorter than 8 hours and often up to 10 hours a day... no overtime.... no days off... no complaining or they are let go. Most (but not all) of these are all recent immigrants to Canada and don't want to rock the boat. And, of the 9 Filipinos I know living in their home country, 2 are working the same with 1 other who gets 1 day off every 2 weeks. I"m not sure if there are laws in the Philippines regarding how much a person is suppose to work but nobody wants to complain as they need the income to support their families! So, unfortunately, I was speaking of both here and there. Edited by i am bob

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I think the big difference here is we are talking about the Phils on one hand and other countries on the other ..... 1st off in most other countries people are paid for holidays so it is no big deal to have a day off WITH pay .... but here as well as farm labor and construction in the US gets no pay for a holiday so they would rather work than loose a days pay ..... I know I would if I was living from hand to mouth ...... so forcing them to take a day off with no pay I feel is not right .... and I don't want to get into making the companies have to pay for holidays .... way to many variables to contend with .... but hey ... I put my time in on both sides of the pay .. no pay holiday thing ..... and now I is retired and as Art said ...... everyday is a holiday ..... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
but here as well as farm labor and construction in the US gets no pay for a holiday so they would rather work than loose a days pay
Where are you getting that from because the bank and government guys and gals I have talked to in Philippines say they get paid if there is a holiday and they are not required to work and if they are required they get time and a half. Of course the 6 month contract people may not get that, same as in Canada for contract employees.
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes Dave you are right about government and banks ..... it was not my intention to say that no one here in the Phils gets paid holidays ...... I guess I need to be more specific in my statements ....... but how many people here work for the government or banks ..... not to many as compared to the rest of the work force .... 6months employees or full time employees ..... some are salaried like teachers so they make the same whether they work or not holiday or not ....

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah I'm sure it would depend on the job. My first jobs didn't pay us for any off days - holidays, vacation, or sick days. No work, no pay.Now I'm very lucky. I get 12 paid holidays, 2 weeks sick days, and 1 month vacation every year. But our kitchen workers get 2 weeks off for Christmas and all summer off with no pay.I would think a lot of the jobs in the Philippines would not pay for holidays. Do they even have overtime laws there? The 12 hours 6 days a week is a little over 40 hours.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

A lot of companies give a contract for 8 hours a day but if you want the job you must work 10 or more hours or you're out.