Car needs a medic

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I'm going to throw this in the medical topic because: Yesterday my car needed a 'medic'. I drive a 23 year old car because I know car repairs here are much cheaper than the cost of new vehicles. It means there are times I will be coming home and have a breakdown. It is why I time my long trips to travel early in the day.Anyway, in the middle of nowhere she blew a hose from the water pump, overheated and shut down, and I am at the mercy of whatever filipino auto 'medic' I can find. There was such a person close by and he did do Emergency Medical Service on my beast. It took him all afternoon, with his brother helping, to get me back on the road. Of course it would have helped if standard replacement parts were available but he worked a miracle with stuff from the junk heap.When he was finished, my wife asked him how much. He shyly asked if 400 was too much. She said: What about 300? and he said OK. I said: No No No! I watched what he did all afternoon and it would not be fair to only give that amount. He saved me a huge tow bill and headache by doing this. So I gave 600 (which I had calculated as the bare minimum I would have been charged anywhere else.)So the 'Kano price is not an 'always' event.

• Like 4

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I'm going to throw this in the medical topic because: Yesterday my car needed a 'medic'. I drive a 23 year old car because I know car repairs here are much cheaper than the cost of new vehicles. It means there are times I will be coming home and have a breakdown. It is why I time my long trips to travel early in the day.Anyway, in the middle of nowhere she blew a hose from the water pump, overheated and shut down, and I am at the mercy of whatever filipino auto 'medic' I can find. There was such a person close by and he did do Emergency Medical Service on my beast. It took him all afternoon, with his brother helping, to get me back on the road. Of course it would have helped if standard replacement parts were available but he worked a miracle with stuff from the junk heap.When he was finished, my wife asked him how much. He shyly asked if 400 was too much. She said: What about 300? and he said OK. I said: No No No! I watched what he did all afternoon and it would not be fair to only give that amount. He saved me a huge tow bill and headache by doing this. So I gave 600 (which I had calculated as the bare minimum I would have been charged anywhere else.)So the 'Kano price is not an 'always' event.
You did the right thing!

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Oh my god ..... Dave is he the guy standing alongside the road with a sign that now says "Kano car repair ..... 1200p" ...... :rolleyes: :) ...... sorry had to ..... the devil made me do it ..... yes times like that make it difficult to make a decision .....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
When he was finished, my wife asked him how much. He shyly asked if 400 was too much. She said: What about 300? and he said OK. I said: No No No! I watched what he did all afternoon and it would not be fair to only give that amount. He saved me a huge tow bill and headache by doing this. So I gave 600 (which I had calculated as the bare minimum I would have been charged anywhere else.) So the 'Kano price is not an 'always' event.
This is an example of the difference of being over charged and when it is the right thing to do to pay a little extra.In this case 2 guys worked on Dave's, bat mobile and got him going.No signs up that say one price and charge another.The Filipinos still got more than they thought their work worth and everyone was happy. :mocking:
  • Like 2

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

i would have given the 400 and a big thank you ....

Jake
Posted
Posted
When he was finished, my wife asked him how much. He shyly asked if 400 was too much. She said: What about 300? and he said OK. I said: No No No! I watched what he did all afternoon and it would not be fair to only give that amount. He saved me a huge tow bill and headache by doing this. So I gave 600 (which I had calculated as the bare minimum I would have been charged anywhere else.) So the 'Kano price is not an 'always' event.
This is an example of the difference of being over charged and when it is the right thing to do to pay a little extra.In this case 2 guys worked on Dave's, bat mobile and got him going.No signs up that say one price and charge another.The Filipinos still got more than they thought their work worth and everyone was happy. :mocking:
Out in the middle of nowhere, you find a couple of Filipinos that nurse your beat up car back to health.They probably used rudimentary tools but utilized the so called Filipino ingenuity. Many of the road side auto repair shops have dirt floors, using parts that were cannibalized from other vehicles and their normal working safety shoes are rubber slippers.Six hundred pesos is approximately 14-15 bucks US for about 5 hours of hard work. I would have thrownin some beer and lunch for these guys. I think the most valuable lesson here is that the word will spreadthroughout this barrio or village that there is at least one Kano that demonstrated his kindness (and notyour wallet) and was greatly relieved that you were able to get back home safely. Good thing it happened during the day time, otherwise all the white ladies, aswangs and kapres will be smelling some white fresh meat on a very lonely and dark road......he, he.
  • Like 4

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Dave,​That's something I can relate to, because I too drive an old car, a 1979 Toyota Corolla! I have been fortunate though, because when ever my car craps out, usually when it's sitting in the garage and sometimes won't start after the previous day of driving!Luckily I know of a guy working for LTO and knows quite a few knowledgeable local mechanics in our area to come to the house and work on my car and get her running only in a few hours! I do pay them well for their time and effort! My "Little Red" Toy :mocking:post-682-0-07800100-1330191214_thumb.jpg

• Like 2