And Fireworks Too!

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Yesterday was the birthday of the Governor Of Samar... now to be perfectly correct, she is not longer the gov, she is a congresswoman. It is her daughter who is the gov... and her son who is vice gov..... Got that?Anyway, this year as in years past there is a large party in the town's park. Thousands of people came in from the outer barangays by bus, many people from the outer islands by boats and it appears that all had a good time. Police and military there, but I saw no problems. Very crowded but well behaved people out here on Samar.In the US, especially the east coast or a couple of large midwest cities dealing with wind and motors.... there would have been hundres of arrests, open drug dealing, fights and in general a rowdy time. And to come to think about it... I heard NO rap music yesterday... I wonder how many years it has been in the US since 'we' were able to have a large public gathering with out 'incidents'? Long ago in my memory. But again, no issues that I saw here at the outdoor party.Live entertainment and speeches and give aways for the people. Lots of booths selling food and things and then a nice fireworks show at the end.There was also a huge cock fight the night before and was attended by (I am told) the very rich who bet (drum roll please) 500,000p on the cock fights! I have no idea if true, but that is what the locals think. While cock fights are frequent here, I knew that this was a special one (I did not attend) as in riding by there was actually many cars parked in addition to the usual 100+ MC and MC cabs! Very few cars out here when compared to the general public and motor cycles. I have friends in rural North Carolina who raise cocks and then also with living 30+ years in south Florida, there is no shortage of Cubans with their cocks... ALL if which would have been green with envy to be allowed to openly attend the cock fights here without any threat of police raiding the place. I have never attended the fights, here or anywhere, but if by judging the shouting and chanting, heard more than a block away, all had a good time (except for the cocks, that is). Here, boys raise pidgeons and then as they get older, they save up and buy their 1st cock. Big cultural thing here.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Sounds like the makings of another political dynasty. Anyway, I wish her and her family well. I understand Samar is such a beautiful tropical paradise but with limited or poor infrastructure. Regarding "Sabong", the tagalog word for cockfighting, is a national favorite pastime. Many years ago I was a VIPguest of Cavite's provincial treasurer, who invited me to his hometown of Puerto Princesa, Palawan. His two bodyguards were active PNP, one was his bag man and the other his constant shadow. It was my very first time experience and was really impressed by the way the bets were taken by a kristo. He wouldcollect bets thrown at him (pesos rolled into a ball or folded) and from pure facial memory, he would throw back thecorrect amount to all the winners. Simply amazing! I guess it's just like a bus conductor remembering all the peoplein a crowded bus.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well Jake / Art... I was wondering... you know with your wide range of all things Pinoy..... Since I see many men holding their prized rooster, butt facing out in front of them as they pet it and talk to it...Is it, well a cultural thing... you know... a greeting as it were...... To, as you approach them... to say.....My Sir, What a Fine Cock You Have! :lol: :dance: :attention: :cheersty:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
My Sir, What a Fine Cock You Have!
Makes you wonder if he will let you hold it for a while.
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
My Sir, What a Fine Cock You Have!
Makes you wonder if he will let you hold it for a while.
Gee thanks Dave! I already have 2 strikes against me 1. The name Bruce, and 2, I am a nurse...... :attention:
  • Like 1