Where To Send Clothes For Philippine Charity

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Most comes from Japan where body size is similar. And 'perhaps' mismarked or misclassified as a lesser good to get through customer. Every once in a while there is a news article about the understated value or class of a container full of clothing.

Unless there is a bit of higher end clothing, sending my balikbayan box is not cost effective for the amount the box holds.

For the charity I run, I tell people up front that clothes are not a good option to send to the Philippines. Instead, I have a thrift store to sell donated clothes and then that cash is used to funs different charity things here on Samar.  

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Seems a charitable organization in Belgium which had donated previously to ELCI had sent 6 pallets of goods consigned to ELCI .

Part of the problem is the method of shipping. If the clothes were sent in balikbayan boxes as household goods or donations to a charitable organizations, it would probably pass. The unwritten rule is Customs won't open the boxes unless they suspect illegal goods like drugs, guns, amunition, etc. If you ship one television, it's okay. If you ship 10 televisions, that's a different matter.

Textile manufacturers located in Export Processing Zones are permitted to selling a small portion of their products in the local market. Also what are known in the industry as "seconds" or those that don't pass inspection because of some minor imperfection.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)

One has to remember that ukay-ukay imports are illegal in the Philippines. How they get away with I do not know. I think the same law applies for charity.

http://www.chanrobles.com/republicacts/republicactno4653.html#.UVwBzaJBNLo

Also

Accompanied Baggage Intended as Donation
Relief, charitable and / or humanitarian organizations intending to donate for free distribution or extend free medical, dental or any other services to the less privileged must coordinate with the Philippine Department of Social Welfare and Development, through the Philippine embassies and / or consulates abroad, for purposes of clearance, prior to actual departure.  Donations must be covered by a Deed of Donation and Deed of Acceptance, approved by the Department of Finance.

One story in the paper

MANILA, Philippines - The Federation of Philippine Industries (FPI) has issued a warning against local government officials who are allowing ukay-ukay trade to continue in their areas of jurisdiction.

In an interview with reporters, FPI chairman Jesus L. Arranza said it is against the law to allow ukay-ukay and, as per Republic Act 4653, government officials who are allowing this business will be held liable.

Arranza identified Baguio City and Quezon City as ukay-ukay hot spots. He said the mayors are liable especially for establishments that have business permits. He said if ukay-ukay continues he will be forced to file charges using Baguio City and Quezon City as test cases. He said he may file charges against the mayors.

Aside from being illegal, Arranza said the ukay-ukay business is eating up the market of the local garments industry.

The country has banned second hand clothing from overseas because it may cause the spread of virus and illness. Arranza said even donating used clothing is illegal under the law. The only loophole is the special ecozones which are allowed to accept used clothing in their ports provided the merchandise is for re-export. Otherwise, used clothing should not be allowed inside the Philippines. This means that the used clothes sold here are mostly smuggled and undeclared.

Earlier, FPI said domestic manufacturers were alarmed by the pronouncement of Customs Commissioners Angelito Alvarez that he is espousing the legalization of ukay-ukay so the government can generate tax revenues from them.

FPI said Alvarez’ statements will just embolden the smugglers of ukay-ukay to continue bringing in used clothes for commercial use despite the expressed prohibition in laws. It will also further dissuade investments in the textile and garments industry that is now on the verge of collapse, FPI said.

Importation of used clothes for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited under RA 4653. The law states that “it shall be unlawful for any person, association or corporation to introduce into any point in the Philippines’ textile articles commonly known as used clothing and rags.” Therefore, Arranza said that even if the destination is a special economic zone, it is still prohibited because ecozones are still part and parcel of the Philippines and are only designated as non-customs territory.

http://www.philstar.com/business/721801/group-warns-local-officials-ukay-ukay-trade

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
added bit
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

One has to remember that ukay-ukay imports are illegal in the Philippines. How they get away with I do not know. I think the same law applies for charity.

This is one reason for the clamped down on the importation of used clothes. Relief goods sent to help victims of typhoons and floods never get to the intended recipients. The clothes ended up in the ukay-ukay stores. There were lots of complaints. The government's solution was to shut everyone down rather than find the culprits involved, some of whom were probably government officials. 

Most of the clothes donated to Goodwill and the Salvation Army are packed in large boxes for loading into containers. Agents come and bid on the boxes. The big buyers are from such countries as Haiti, Pakistan and Bangladesh. The better garments are sold in their thrift stores.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Most of the clothes donated to Goodwill and the Salvation Army are packed in large boxes for loading into containers. Agents come and bid on the boxes. The big buyers are from such countries as Haiti, Pakistan and Bangladesh. The better garments are sold in their thrift stores.

I drop off old clothing and shoes at a drop box for collecting used clothing. I don't mind that the company makes a profit. Better that those old clothes get reused than fill up a landfill. That comes in handy when getting rid of old clothes which aren't worth shipping in your move or storing.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The local Goodwill has a drive through into a warehouse. They workers unload the donations. They use to have drop boxes for donations, but there was stealing going on. It turned out the culprits were Pacific Islanders from the Compact of Free Association countries. They are permitted entry into the United States without a visa and they can work. The stolen clothes were shipped to poor relatives back home.

The principal at our sons' school decided to help. At the end of the school year, students are warned that anything left in the lockers will be disposed. She then invites the Pacific Islanders to come and take everything remaining in the lockers. Other schools have followed with a similar disposal policy. Everyone is happy, except a girl who complained that she forgot to remove some jewelry. They told her it was probably in a box destined for the Yap Islands.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Donating to Philippine charities from abroad is a bit of  mine field at times as recent first hand experience has proven . That holds especially true when shipping in goods versus sending money . ELCI charities of Cagayan de Oro , of which my wife Daisy chairs , recently received a phone call from Manila customs .

Seems a charitable organization in Belgium which had donated previously to ELCI had sent 6 pallets of goods consigned to ELCI . Exactly what the mix of the goods is i am not sure but at least some of it is in the form of clothing . Therein the problems start because the Philippines considers clothing ( even used apparently ) to fall under the " textile " importation clause/s . Bottom line is Manila customs says they will forward to CDO as soon as the $ 983 customs duties are paid by ELCI .   :-)

ELCI doesn't have $983 and if it did i suspect such funds would already be earmarked for local projects . Don't know the shipping costs from Belgium but i suspect not cheap . Which makes me ask this question . How does all of the used clothing that you can buy in any Philippine street stall for next to nothing and which comes from abroad make it here if it goes through customs inspection .? Or , maybe it doesn't go through customs inspection ?   :-)

Just Wondering...

Anyway since we drifted from your question or problem, maybe the answer for you is to contact those  from below and explain what happen. They might be able to help you out.

Department of Social Welfare and Development

Relief, charitable and / or humanitarian organizations intending to donate for free distribution or extend free medical, dental or any other services to the less privileged must coordinate with the Philippine Department of Social Welfare and Development, through the Philippine embassies and / or consulates abroad, for purposes of clearance, prior to actual departure.  Donations must be covered by a Deed of Donation and Deed of Acceptance, approved by the Department of Finance.

• Like 1