Not Kidding!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

In Italy, there is an admission fee to visit national parks, museums, historical sites, etc. If you are Italian, it is free. I asked our friends who were taking us around as to the reason. Their answer was interesting.1. Italians pay high taxes and part of the money goes to support these places. An admission fee for Italians is like charging twice.2. Italians won't take their foreign friends to these places if they had to pay a fee. Revenues increase and helps pay for maintenance and preservation. Their taxes would be lower. (This last one is government propaganda.)3. Italians won't bother to visit and appreciate their rich culture if the government charged them a fee for the privilege.If you apply the above Italian logic to the Philippines, perhaps foreigners will be less irritated by the multi-tiered pricing system. If foreigners are offended by the higher entrance fee to visit Mt. Samat, the locals (domestic) should be upset students pay only P10.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
I don't have a problem with it because the prices are posted. My gf translated the sign as "Gong of Bravery". Very ominous sounding. What is it?
Dambana ng Kagitingan (shrine of Valor) atop Mt. Samat (altitude 564 meters) in Pilar town Bataan was built in 1966 in memory of the soldiers of World War II. It is a bit of a hike but beautiful view from the top.Link
I always wanted to take a walk/road trip along the Bataan Death March. Are there any historical landmarksstill offered to the tourist?Jake
  • Like 1

Genius
Posted
Posted

I consider it ok to charge more for attractions, but not say for Pepsi at the attraction. I have reasons for this but they ve already been mentioned.

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted (edited)
some places if you show a Permanent Resident ACR I card you will get the local price .....
For our return to our home in Carcar this July, we planned a sort of transitional stay when we arrive... like a mini vacation of sorts, we liked the Imperial Palace as we stayed there on the exit trip.... so we got the phone quote and then after chatting about discount the reservations person indicated that locals would get a big discount, but tourist always pay higher... in fact, it is broken down by country, with Koreans getting charged the highest... they monitor this by means of where you access the website from, your CC info etc. Hence, not having online pricing provided, you need to fill out a form.. .well, how is this applicable to this thread??? So, I said in fact I am a permanent resident, (13A) I talked to her about Carcar, found out that is where she was from and next thing you know, 40% off the top. She never even asked for the ACR-I card info.... just that I knew minute details about her home town was all the proof she needed. So there you have the delta between local and USA pricing for the Imperial Palace... trust me, they are not losing anything even at the local rate. :mocking: Edited by Dzighnman
  • Like 3

billten
Posted
Posted
For our return to our home in Carcar this July, we planned a sort of transitional stay when we arrive... like a mini vacation of sorts, we liked the Imperial Palace as we stayed there on the exit trip.... so we got the phone quote and then after chatting about discount the reservations person indicated that locals would get a big discount, but tourist always pay higher... in fact, it is broken down by country, with Koreans getting charged the highest... they monitor this by means of where you access the website from, your CC info etc. Hence, not having online pricing provided, you need to fill out a form.. .well, how is this applicable to this thread??? So, I said in fact I am a permanent resident, (13A) I talked to her about Carcar, found out that is where she was from and next thing you know, 40% off the top. She never even asked for the ACR-I card info.... just that I knew minute details about her home town was all the proof she needed. So there you have the delta between local and USA pricing for the Imperial Palace... trust me, they are not losing anything even at the local rate. :cheersty:
Yup, i ALWAYS toss a few bisaya words into the conversation when i am buying something, it usually helps eliminate the B/S kano pricing factor...
  • Like 1

volstateguy
Posted
Posted (edited)
I don't have a problem with it because the prices are posted. My gf translated the sign as "Gong of Bravery". Very ominous sounding. What is it?
Dambana ng Kagitingan (shrine of Valor) atop Mt. Samat (altitude 564 meters) in Pilar town Bataan was built in 1966 in memory of the soldiers of World War II. It is a bit of a hike but beautiful view from the top.Link
I always wanted to take a walk/road trip along the Bataan Death March. Are there any historical landmarksstill offered to the tourist?Jake
Jake I have seen pictures online of the historical marker, marking the beginning of the march. I can't remember exactly what the marker said but I remember it having Mile 0 on it. Sorry I don't have more info, but its definitely worth researching more.Added: Jake here's a website: http://www.batch2006.com/visit_bataan_death-march.htm Edited by volstateguy
  • Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I always wanted to take a walk/road trip along the Bataan Death March. Are there any historical landmarks still offered to the tourist?
YES yes yes, jake their are the Markers still along the Bataan Death March.it is a sight to see. just imagine 70yrs ago, .Every year some (US firm) tour outfit does offer A Tour along the "march" site.
  • Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted (edited)

Charging locals less is standard in many places . When I lived in Banff Canada the gondola was free for locals and 25 bucks for tourists . Why because the locals would rather walk to the top of the mountain than pay and if the locals don,t go to the attraction they won,t bring there tourist friends . Also all the golf courses and ski hills give really good discounts to locals.This one funny 10p for locals and 2 dollars for tourists ? I said I,m local I live here the girl looked confused and I said how about I pay 40p for 2 people and she said ok sounds fair lol

P1043066

Edited by cebu rocks
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I believe there is also a small museum somewhere along the route that has an actual boxcar that the prisoners were shipped in along with some other stuff like parts of buildings they were housed in ....... just saying .... :hystery: