Globe, Smart Hit For ‘Blocking’ 911 Calls

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-025413534.htmlDAVAO City Vice Mayor Rodrigo R. Duterte hit both Smart andGlobe telecoms for not living up to an earlier agreement to allow direct emergency 911 calls.In his television program “Gikan sa Masa, Para sa Masa,” Duterte expressed disappointment on the two telecommunication companies for not informing them about some changes on the procedure of calling emergency hotline number 911."I would like to address this concern to Smart and Globe. Sa atong sabot, (We agreed that) we simplify matters nga kung pwede just a copycat because that’s a universal number in time nga naay distress. Pipila ka adlaw wala ko mahibawo nga giusab diay ninyo. Daghan ang nagreklamo kay di sila katawag, sa pag-tsek gyud nako mao gyud (For many days, I was never aware that you changed what has been agreed on. I received many complaints and when I checked it myself, I learned the complaints are true)," Duterte said.To contact 911 through Smart, Smart changed the access code to *911 instead of just 911. Globe, on the other hand, completely cut off access.He chided both companies for not even having the courtesy to inform the City Government about these."You are operating here in Davao City, you do business, and you earned money from the people here in the city. Then suddenly you made changes nga wala man gani mo mag-courtesy sa amoa. Common sense man nga pahibaw-on mi ninyo nga naay changes of protocol sa pag-dial kay importante kana (that you didn’t even have the courtesy to inform us. It’s common sense to inform about any changes in dialing protocols because this is an important access number)," Duterte said.Duterte added that he even appealed to the rebels in hinterlands not to destroy their cell site towers as a support to the two companies and still be subjected to such discourtesy."Prangkahan ta mo, sige mo’g hangyo nako nga abogaran ang inyong tower sa bukid, I did it. Giingnan nako ang tawo sa bukid nga di hilabtan kay it serves for everybody. Suddenly you made changes like this na wala ko nakabalo! Bastosan pala ito. You will suffer in the end, kayo din ang malulugi (To be frank, you were begging me to intercede for the protection of your communication towers. I told those in the mountains not to touch your towers because these are for the benefit of all. And then you make changes to our agreement without informing us)," Duterte said.He said the two companies could have simply informed him or have such changes published in the papers.He said he will discuss the matter with the City Council so that the company representatives will be summoned."If you (Smart and Globe) will not go to the council, I'll bring this to the court aron ma-contempt mo. Ang ginawa niyo ay napakabastos(what you guys did, was appalling), you ignored a critical aspect of governance," Duterte said.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Talk about stupid companies....!

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

That is really criminal conduct on the part of both companies. Not only should they be sued, but their officers should be tried and convicted of criminal wrong doing. Lastly, the congress of the Philippines should enact a law REQUIRING telecoms to support emergency calls or to have their access to doing business here closed. The actions of the companies are simply despicable!

• Like 3

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Back on the 5th, some kid threw a rock and smashed my back window of my car. I told Myrlita to call 117 which is PNP. Not only did they refuse to come and told us to go there, but PLDT actually charged me P5 for the 117 call. So what does that mean? If a poor Filipino needs help, he or she can't call the police because they may not have 5 pesos? If I didn't see it for myself I wouldn't have believed it. Only in The Philippines!

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 2