Tourist Visa To Australia For Pinay Wife

starlet
Posted
Posted

Hi,I'm planning to attend a conference in Australia in August 2012. Its a business travel. I'm from Norway, Europe. My wife is a filipino citizen, and she currently resides in the Philippines.I want my wife to come over to Austrralia when I'm there.I have some questions related to this: Is it hard for a filipina, married to a westener (in this case a norwegian man), to get a tourist visa to Australia? What are the requirements? How long is the processing time for the application?Regards

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hi,I'm planning to attend a conference in Australia in August 2012. Its a business travel. I'm from Norway, Europe.My wife is a filipino citizen, and she currently resides in the Philippines.I want my wife to come over to Austrralia when I'm there.I have some questions related to this: Is it hard for a filipina, married to a westener (in this case a norwegian man), to get a tourist visa to Australia? What are the requirements? How long is the processing time for the application?Regards
Hiyes it can be difficult but it depends on your circumstances. Are you living together now? if so then its not so much of a problem.The requirements are basically that the Filipina has a reason to return to the Philippines,home, business,job, and has money to support herself. In this case and if you are traveling together I do not see to much of a problem. I do know of a couple not married but living together that recently came to aus for a wedding and I think 6 month stay.Re reading what you said it appears you are in two different countries,In my opinion that will make it harder.You need to supply all the proof you can of your relationship,reason for travel.Might be best to contact the Australian department of immigration and ask your questions. http://www.immi.gov.au/

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yep, good idea, and Filipinos have to pay for a visa ahead of time while many Europeans and North Americans do not. The Euro/American types can show up and get a tourist visa automatically provided they don't have a criminal record or suitcase full of contraband.

Edited by Tatoosh

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Yep, good idea, and Filipinos have to pay for a visa ahead of time while many Europeans and North Americans do not. The Euro/American types can show up and get a tourist visa automatically provided they don't have a criminal record or suitcase full of contraband.
The OP is talking about visiting Australia,I don't think anyone can come here without a visa,some countries can apply online as a tourist but not a Filipino.The OP case is complicated as he is on business and the wife maybe a tourist.This is some info on a business visa and which countries can apply online.http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/956-977/eligibility.htm

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
The OP is talking about visiting Australia,I don't think anyone can come here without a visa
I have had several family members (UK or Canadian passports) visit Australia and none of them have ever mentioned needing a visa, well not since 30 years ago when my brother wanted to stay there for a year, then he needed a visa.OK, did a quick google and came up with this:For a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport, no visa is needed. However, an ETA is needed... that costs about A$20 to obtain online but it may be possible to obtain one without the A$20 admin charge.ANDPassport holders from the following European countries are eligible for an ETA: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Vatican City and UK Citizens (and British Nationals overseas). Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the correction. You are right, I've looked at the online application that is allowed for certain countries. Dunno why me little noggin decided that meant you could land in Sydney and get it automatically. Doh!

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The OP is talking about visiting Australia,I don't think anyone can come here without a visa
I have had several family members (UK or Canadian passports) visit Australia and none of them have ever mentioned needing a visa, well not since 30 years ago when my brother wanted to stay there for a year, then he needed a visa.OK, did a quick google and came up with this:For a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport, no visa is needed. However, an ETA is needed... that costs about A$20 to obtain online but it may be possible to obtain one without the A$20 admin charge.ANDPassport holders from the following European countries are eligible for an ETA: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Vatican City and UK Citizens (and British Nationals overseas).
Tourist not business, the OP said he is there on business. The OP said his wife lives in the Philippines.The online ETA shows 8 countries. http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAAus1En.html

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This visa may suit but I think the OP needs guidance from the DOI in Australia.http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/business/456/eligibility-family.htm

starlet
Posted
Posted

Hi guys,Thanks for all your replies. Yes, we are not living together. My wife i a filipino citizen, I'm a norwegian. She lives in Philippines, bu we have plans to get her to my country, when possible. (The processing time for familiy reunifcation to Norway usually takes 2 - 6 months, by the way...)I will go to Austraila on business, and I will try to bring my filipina with me to that great country for a short visit. A tourist visa is probably the correct visa categroy for her to apply for in this case?But anyway, I will follow the advice from Jollygoodfellow, and contact DOI about this.

• Like 1