Puregold Plans To Acquire S & R

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-222322367.htmlPuregold Plans To Acquire S & RMANILA, Philippines - Newly listed supermarket chain Puregold Price Club Inc. is planning to acquire, or merge with, sister company S&R Membership Shopping.Both firms are controlled by businessman Lucio Co.In a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange, Puregold said its board has approved the request of the management and granted it authority to start study and discussion with S&R's management for the possible acquisition or merger.S&R is a membership-shopping club modeled after the warehouse membership shopping chains introduced in the United States. It now has six branches in the Philippines, of which four are in Metro Manila and one each in Pampanga and Cebu.The core concept is to deliver local and imported products to member-customers through an effective and efficient system anchored on aggressive buying, low-cost distribution and streamlined operations.Puregold recently opened its 101st store in La Trinidad, Benguet. This store, a hypermarket, is the first of the 25 store the firm plans to open in 2012.Puregold plans to double the number of its stores by 2015; as it saturates further into the untapped Metro Manila and the Luzon areas. It also plans to expand into Visayas and Mindanao.
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Anyone shop at Puregold ....... what can we expect to happen to S&R ........ most of the time when stores merge the quality and such plummets it happened in the US with Piggly Wiggly and again with A&Pand I'm sure a ton more ...... guess I better stock up while I can ........ :36_1_68[1]:

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Yeah, it doesn't sound like a good idea unless they increase the quality on the selections of their items and the prices are reasonable for the masses!

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

Pure Gold is the cheapest supermarket that I know, we go there all the time. No complaints from me...

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Pure Gold is the cheapest supermarket that I know, we go there all the time. No complaints from me...
We stopped shopping at Puregold, because we don't like their warehouse type environment, too warm, I sweat my ass off in there and their meat department stinks of double dead whatever meat! They have air conditioning, but they're probably just too cheap to use it so that they can save on their electric bill! :89:
  • Like 2

ironmaiden
Posted
Posted

Here in Pure Gold Dau it's not hot, but their Pure Gold meat doesn't look good, I must admit. If we buy meat there, it's from Monterey or Garcia, and they're ok.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
S&R is a membership-shopping club modeled after the warehouse membership shopping chains introduced in the United States. It now has six branches in the Philippines, of which four are in Metro Manila and one each in Pampanga and Cebu.
1st it was not Pure Gold that started S&R it was the PRICESMART firm,(2001) who was part of the 60/40 rule,the US partners was Screwed royally by GO who owns the super 8 and uniwide firm,Price Smart closed down(2006) after 11months of the RP onwership due to POOR management and NOT paying their BILLS,GO then sold his remaining shares,and property to CO or the PUREGOLD firm, altho its another firm under Puregold name,Under PriceSmart,the store was very well run, when the "new" people took over ,customer servicewent down hill fast,THE same employees who was 1st there who could bend over back wards to please you,NOW use the Sorry Sir I cant help , or even provide assistance as they could before,(they cant find their way out of a wet paper bag mentality)HOWEVER on the bright side,the items that 1 wants or seeks from outside the RP usually are there and can be bought,ESP the meat products are best I have seen here in the RP(next to the :hystery: non triple dead meat I found in the local market :hystery: joke ) Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I frequent PureGold in my area here. It is huge nice and clean. Their variety is similar to the standards but their quality on meats and fresh fish is low.I visited S&R too, i did not bother for the membership since i had no reason to go there again. Ok you can find some products not existing in other sueprmarkets but i do not want to buy a whole head of cheese neither 6 kilos of sausages...they sell in huge portions these products and the price is not any cheaper than you would find it in Chanties, where is not cheap either!!!!Now if PureGold buys S&R i only see good news for us, reduce the portions of these imported items so the price becomes affordable, still high but is ok to pay 400p for 200grm of parmesan cheese not grated instead of 6000p for a small head of it.A wider selection of products for everyone and mostly for us who crave for a bit of western delicacies such as cold cuts, cheeses etc.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
Now if PureGold buys S&R i only see good news for us
please note that PUREGOLD already owns S&R(for all practical purposes)it is under another holding company due to tax or business reasons

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey Joe ...... have you ever shopped in a S&R store ..... the reason I asked is so that you could do a comparison between the two ...... Has anyone shopped in both stores in the very resent past or present ...... my main concern is the type of products such as REAL US beef (frozen or not) brand names for the US like Frito-lay .... Johnsonville ..... Valassic .... and others (had a brain-fart right now and can't think) ...... price is not a major concern as I don't buy products from the US all the time just as a diversion from everyday fare ......

• Like 1