Down But Not Out! Still Alive.... No Blood Needed.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Crashed my bike on the 28th afternoon. Not going too fast. In traffic, in town and a 6yr old boy ran out into traffic and Then heard a motorcycle coming! Why it was MY motorcycle.... He turned towards the sound, saw me and FROZE like a deer in the head lights! If he kept running, no problem. But noooo. He stopped.So with my mind going thousand of miles per nano second.... I calculated the cost of killing the kid, or worse injuring him and then having to pay the family either way.... or dump the bike. I dumped the bike.1 Broke right clavical, several damaged ribs below the arm pit, and some road rash. But I was very lucky. The bike had just a bent foot rest and brake pedal and slightly misaligned steering. Was fixed in 1 hr! Also since there was no head injury... none of the evil escaped! Thanks for asking.... my little brush with death has not changed my witt or satir!I did not go to the local hosptal.... I was helped up and rode a motorcab home and a local traffic enforcer rode my bike home. The little boy ran off of course. He should have stopped by now though!The road is a very old section of concrete with 2-4" river rock instead of crushed stone. Badly pocked marked and slick with the stones. If it had of been black top or 'proper' concrete, I think I would have been OK.Several hours later I was taken to a 'retired police' who is a self taught poor equavilant to a chiropractor. He applied traction and got the clavicle back in reasonably proper shape. The xray was taken (200 plus, sir) the next day for me to confirm the obvious...Oh yes.... once I got home I took a shower to get cleaned up. My helper had to do my socks and shoes for me. This was a bigger deal than you might think as she, nor her husband own any socks. So it was a struggle for her. But she managed without having to refer to the sock's instruction manual.....Yes, I am aware that I am in the Philippines and that socks and shoes are 'optional'. However, even though I do not follow the English tradition of changing one's clothing multiple times a day to match the proper outfit with the time of day..... You shall NEVER see me in a wife beater / tank top shirt, shorts and (gasp please) Flip Flops! So not me.... :hystery:post-404-0-87940000-1330590674_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-28124400-1330590695_thumb.jpgpost-404-0-16373300-1330590710_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Geez Bruce, well i'm just glad that you're still in one piece mate though pretty sore i imagine.Like you say, you were lucky, could of been a lot worse and PLEASE don't tell me that you're gonna continue riding the bloody thing?Take it easy mate and get well soon.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Geez Bruce, well i'm just glad that you're still in one piece mate though pretty sore i imagine.Like you say, you were lucky, could of been a lot worse and PLEASE don't tell me that you're gonna continue riding the bloody thing?Take it easy mate and get well soon.
I am finished riding for maybe 4-10 weeks depending on the arm. Can't lift the arm higher than the shoulder, can't lift anything heavier than a water bottle... But I shall return to riding when I can handle the bike ok. Back in the states, I have a small Honda 125 scooter which is easy to ride. Here on Samar it is a Yamaha 135 Sniper.... Also not bad but more effort than the Honda. My 'bike bike' days are 30 years gone!
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Riding a bike in Philippines is not advised IMO.Here in the States I rode an old 45 until 1987 but quit. I just got tired of (rhymes with witches) making eye contact then turning left fifty feet in front of me.It's good to hear you will be OK Bruce.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 3

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Yeah, glad you survived. Had the same thing happen not long ago with a 3 year old coming barreling down some stairs and across the street. He did never stopped. I, of course, gave up on scooters a long time ago. So it would have messed my cars grill up, but no harm to me. However, I do keep my cars brakes in good shape and top notch tires. So I managed to stop. But if he had come down a split second later, it would have been very very ugly. I was so happy that didn't happen.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Sorry to hear (and see) you got hurt ..... glad it was not so serious (as in life-threatening) ...... unfortunately people don't realize that living out where you do a scooter is almost essential ...... not like here in Cebu where taxi and jeepney's are everywhere and easy to find when you need one ...... no need to tell you to be careful as it was not your fault and no way to be avoidable ...... take care

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey Bruce! Good to see you survived with only a few injuries...!!! I had a friend who did something similar here in Canada and spent a long time recuperating in the local morgue.... Glad to see you're up and about and waiting to hear about the further adventures!Just out of curiosity... Was that misspelt word "satire" or "satyr"... ? :36_1_68[1]:

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Yeah Bruce, glad you're still around and kicking! Just take 2 Tylenol and a few ice cold bottles of San Miguel Light and you're to go again on your bike, but be more careful next time and add two more wheels on your bike! :36_1_68[1]:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Glad the bike is repairable.Oh and you too Bruce :89:

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Nice to see you can still get about. Could have been worse. You put the life of the boy ahead of your own by dumping the bike.Your natural instinct is to look out for others first. Good judgment in a bad situation.

• Like 4