Another American Dies In Davao

United Army
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a sad heart today...TomM (Tom Massman) dies during his sleep of a heart attack, (Not sure if this is the official cause of death or not). I got a call from his wife Grace today, she told me that her husband died during his sleep.Tom was a good friend of mine, me and my wife met him and his x-wife in Lapu-Lapu early March 2010 at the Moon Cafe at the Grand Mall in Basak. We both followed each other on facebook, Tom and Grace seemed very happy together.Grace was smart and contacted the US Embassy today, they have been in contact with Grace and will call her back tomorrow with the phone numbers of the VA and SSA.May he Rest In Peace, a good friend that he was.And may Grace find the strength to get through her difficult time.

Edited by United Army
  • Like 4

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Mark,​Sorry to hear about your friend. May he RIP! At least he died in his sleep and wasn't a financial burden on his family! If I had to go, I'd like to go as he did! Again, sorry to hear about the lost of your friend and my sincerest condolences to his family!

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your friend. May he rest in peace. I lost a friend recently too. By the way, why would she need the numbers for VA and SSA? In what way can they help? Also, if she needs those numbers why didn't she already have them?

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

He must have been a U.S. military veteran/retiree, which means he has Survivors Benefits from his former employment and or from Social Security in the U.S. for his spouse and or other members of his family, who are required to be contacted upon a member's death! Usually their bank accounts in the Philippines will be frozen and all direct deposit will cease until the appropriate U.S. government agencies have been contacted so that whatever money is involved will continue to go to the deceased member's spouse and or to his legal immediate members of his family! It can be an overwhelming task for his or other family members to take on such an ordeal, because there could be complications in the paperwork and or other documents to be submitted to the appropriate U.S. government agencies! Also any local VFW will assist in those matters if one's spouse so wishes!

• Like 4

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

My condolences to your friend and his family. May he RIP. Hopefully the VA will get his affairs settled soon for his family.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

TomM was a member here.Condolences to Grace and familyI met Tom and his former wife at the 2010 forum get together,his former wife won the raffle on the night.Tom later married GraceTom and his former wife.post-1-0-08414900-1330633785_thumb.jpgToms profile. http://www.philippin.../user/780-tomm/

• Like 2

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
TomM was a member here.Condolences to Grace and familyI met Tom and his former wife at the 2010 forum get together,his former wife won the raffle on the night.Tom later married GraceTom and his former wife.post-1-0-08414900-1330633785_thumb.jpgToms profile. http://www.philippin.../user/780-tomm/
That's right Tom, I remember meeting him also. Sad news for sure.

United Army
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the thoughts, I will post any other info when and if I receive it.

Mugs
Posted
Posted

r i p

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

My sincerest condolances to his family.

Edited by Steve & Myrlita