Legal Weapons For Expats / Visitors In Philippines

Higg-num
Posted
Posted (edited)

After an exhaustive and disappointing search on the subject. Not to mention having to sift through droves of " Anti " views / posts ( Secular progressive views of a simple machine....the evil Firearm ) LoL Ask the following , Concealable, Lawful, ( NON Firearm ) Self preservation Tools / weapons.I hope to stay focused on the subject...Lawful weapons for Expats & visitors to the Philippines. I care not for opinions on the ethics. I would plead for facts.Context is Moral / lawful against the criminal element. a) Edged weapons; Size, length and of course concealment laws. Oh yes, single sharpen blade or double edgedb) Bludgeoning instruments; Blackjacks, socks with rolls of heavy coins, Canes /walking sticks ( I'm talking Irish hawthorn or Black African Snake wood )C )O.C. 's are O.K. D ) Tazers are useless IME for the AO as an expat at least. Cons out weigh the pros.e) Nike....RUN ! Probable NOT a viable option in the dynamics being discussed.Thank you

Edited by Higg-num
  • Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Hmmmm are you asking us or telling us? signed, confused :89:

• Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted

A damn big, well trained dog is IME the best deterrent you can have in your home.Regards the walking around weapon, very hard to dodge a .38 (which a local scum bag can pick up for less than p2,000 so they ALL have them), unfortunately Jim's advice may be as good as you get.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Regards the walking around weapon, very hard to dodge a .38
Then I would suspect that a legal 'weapon' for an expat would be 2 bodyguards. You need two so that while the first is being shot, the second can take out the attacker, or while you are being killed, they can get revenge for you, but maybe not because if you are dead then they will not get paid so they may not want to get involved. Then there is the perception that a foreigner with 2 bodyguards must have something worth robbing.Hmmm. Dilemma. I guess it comes down to Jim's advice. Use your head (and not as a target for the bad guy's .38)For in home security I would like a fence to keep honest people out and the dogs in. It also serves as 'territory' which the dogs will defend. Then I would like the entrance doors to the house and bedroom to be strong enough to survive for a few seconds in the event they are getting kicked in. That would buy me time to get 'the wife's' weapon out and ready for intruders. Defensive only. And I don't have all that, its just what I imagine would work for me if I was worried about armed robberies.
  • Like 1

dean01
Posted
Posted

What about mace ? and another one who agrees with Jim use your head

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well I don't even know what the initials in options C & D are... but the only weapons I use are my charm & wit. I wouldn't even consider using anything else in another country.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

If you feel you need protection or to just make yourself feel better there are a number of things sold locally like pepper spray ..... tazers etc. ...... a stout wooden cane can also be useful if you know how to use it ...... but I agree with Jim ...... that is the best way ...... by the way you aren't coming to the wild wild west you know .....

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I just talked to my best friend in Manila. He's a FilAm who stays here a few months then returns to the US. They went shopping at SM this morning and the helper let someone in claiming to be from Sky Cable, although she had been told never to let anyone in.The guy stole his laptop with tons of personal data, pics, etc. He doesn't know what else was taken. Sky Cable said they don't have anyone working in his area. That's an example of what not to do.

• Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

The guy didn't give the helper a cell phone and check to be sure she had load? All his fault then. A good gun is first choice if you have a Filipino wife. I prefer a short barreled shotgun over a handgun. Next, a sword or sword cane. Guy in Pampanga very nice ones for about 5000 to 6000 pesos. A cheap fix is a good bludgeon, preferably of the sporting variety. That would be a baseball bat for an American and a cricket bat for the Brits. Scuba divers can keep those spear guns in handy reach. Blackthorns go for roughly $100 plus shipping. Shillelaghs are a bit shorter so I prefer the walking stick to the traditional weapon. A good 11 inch Kitchen Knife isn't all that bad, but a Chinese meat cleaver is even better. Intelligence is a good defense but not always the equal to every situation. Or so my experience has been.

• Like 1