Legal Weapons For Expats / Visitors In Philippines

Higg-num
Posted
Posted
My sincerest apologies for the double post. Thank you Dave. That is why this subject is somewhat confusing. I will put out more inquires through my U.S. Embassy channels but that takes time.Google may shed light at times but unfortunately Not on subjects of great import such as this one. Next to the law and what it states is what is enforced. Officer discretion. This is a whole other ball of wax . What one person MAY be able to do without suffering consequences is different from what others MAY experience absent of pull inside the government circle. We'll see if any of the members here can shed some light on my OP...I hope.
I think what you are asking is the impossible answer. No one here or on most forums have a degree in Philippines law so most answers are from what the person who reply's to your posts read some where or someone told them or from a once off experience that is not necessarily the same result if you are in Cebu or Samar or Zamboanga.
Correct. However what is Law/case law & what is enforced is, at times, different. I'll continue to search. Thanks BTW

Higg-num
Posted
Posted (edited)
My sincerest apologies for the double post. Thank you Dave. That is why this subject is somewhat confusing. I will put out more inquires through my U.S. Embassy channels but that takes time.Google may shed light at times but unfortunately Not on subjects of great import such as this one. Next to the law and what it states is what is enforced. Officer discretion. This is a whole other ball of wax . What one person MAY be able to do without suffering consequences is different from what others MAY experience absent of pull inside the government circle. We'll see if any of the members here can shed some light on my OP...I hope.
It simple , do not break the law , and when you are out and about use your head.this thread was posted the day before me and my gf witness a guy getting shot , i would not consider to buy a weapon . I did the smart thing and left I did not want to get involved when I knew it was a hit , if it was a random violence i would have stayed and helped .I seen gangs target people and I had to walk away , we are foreigners here so some times it better to leave than to fight.I do carry mace but i hope to never have to use it , some places i wear it visible , no one has told me i can not carry it , and if they do I will use my head and negotiate the best out come.Next time you see a police ask him / her , see what look you will get.
Dean01,Thank you for your input but NO ONE knows what their " fight " will be. IF one can walk away then it wasn't a fight for self preservation. I would no more bring attention to an officer something about my person MAY be illegal than I would display gold coin to a Bad Guy. How would that be a demonstration of " Using " ones head ? It would not. Though the last part of your post about " Negotiating " the best out come is smart. If a man plans ahead. You'll be far & away better prepared to do so.Folks, No body does something because they think it stupid. Criminals are no exception. Those who fail to prepare are often not prepared for the price of failure either. In the case of the criminal element the stakes can cost more than personal effects /belongings. Worse case is WHY a person carries tools and seeks out PROFESSIONAL training. My advice would be to seek out said training from a qualified instructor. ( BTW...AO is Operational area...were one resides,works and lives )Tatoosh, thanksYour correct. Train of thought is where it needs to go. What is enforced verses what law states vs; case law. Bottom line, One needs to be able to get out of any type of trouble IF questioned by authorities. Hence " Its just a tool for opening coconuts " or " I'm a cripple & need this unbreakable stick for walking ". Philippines may be my first developing country but I'v done time in 3rd world areas before. Therefore I will continue to gather what info I can from validated sources that have a vested interest in the facts and truth. Wise me luck.I may post what I find. Depends on what, if anything , I can confirm. : )Just heard back from one of my former superiors. He stepped off the plane in manilla and was handed a loaded 45 ( 1911 ) in a paper bag. They ( The locals who picked him up ) said " This is illegal but you asked for it." He said, " won't I get into trouble if the police find out ? " They laughed and said, " We are the ones who would do the arresting."Good to know everything is so cut and dry. LoLI'll keep at it. Let you all know what I find. : ) Edited by Higg-num

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hmm OKThe way I see it is put on a bullet proof vest, lock your self in a steel box and think about the slogan, " its more fun in the Philippines".Everyone else will be having fun except for the paranoid.Get over it, concealed weapons are for those who are scared and un informed.

• Like 2

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

carry a weapon, it will kill you sooner than you think.They come to steal me, sure i have 500-1000p take it. they come to rob my house, 4 dogs, 8 surveillance cameras 6 motion sensors, two huge sirens, all working even without electricty. If they do make it, ok you win my tv and dvd...perhaps my laptop too, nothing else to rob here, unless they can carry the sofa...Do i need to shoot someone for this? No i wouldn't, so if i pull a gun without shoot to kill then i am getting the chances to be shot to death.by the way motion sensors system is great, i recently installed it. It even calls 5 different numbers in case a sensor activates and everything can be adjusted to perfection, na fault alarms.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Joe, I love your answer! So true!Sometimes I feel like this is a war zone or even the wild west we are talking about... ???

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Sometimes I feel like this is a war zone or even the wild west we are talking about... ???
Sometimes it is. (Referring to the catalytic vigilante events in the post titled Shock.)Most times it is not. Be prepared, not paranoid. Plan for the worst, but expect the best. Most of us know the drill.
  • Like 1

Higg-num
Posted
Posted
Hmm OKThe way I see it is put on a bullet proof vest, lock your self in a steel box and think about the slogan, " its more fun in the Philippines".Everyone else will be having fun except for the paranoid.Get over it, concealed weapons are for those who are scared and un informed.
Before I ask for the pleasure to respond...may I inquire from you Sir ( JollyGood Fellow ) if this is directed at me, personally or do you state generally to others who may have expressed views or perhaps stories you perceive contrary to your posted statement ? Looking forward to your Response,Higg-num

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I take notice of something about the crimes commited against the person or property in Philippines. It is often multiple individuals working as a team. It is not a one on one me against the lone mugger situation. Look at the reports. While you focus on the one in front, one or more might be ready to stab you in the back.Several of my close family in laws are with the PNP. I asked them about carrying my leatherman tool. He said an officer could make the choice to arrest you based on the blade. Places with security can ask you to leave or deny entry.I know of people who lived by the phrase "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" as their reason for carrying a gun here in the US. A few are in prison for a situation they insisted it to be "self defense". Prosecution argued the other person would not be dead or injured if the gun was not present.Your best defense is not make yourself a target worth their effort.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Before I ask for the pleasure to respond...may I inquire from you Sir ( JollyGood Fellow ) if this is directed at me, personally or do you state generally to others who may have expressed views or perhaps stories you perceive contrary to your posted statement ? Looking forward to your Response,Higg-num
Mr Higg numMy views are expressed in general to the need of a concealed weapon, ask the expats that live there in the Philippines if they carry a weapon and most will say they feel safer in the Philippines than where they came from.If your talking about a post in this thread where Dean said he and his GF witnessed a murder you will find it has nothing to do with an expat or the safety of an expat. If you read from the same thread a very experienced Jim Sibbic saying that use your head then the chances of needing a concealed weapon are low and could possible get you in more trouble.By concealed weapon I believe you are talking about a weapon you carry on your body, not behind the front door. Also a reminder you are searched when entering the malls in the Philippines,in most cases they will allow you through with a light pat down but might be different if you have a knife or gun.I look forward to your response too. :lol:

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
Also a reminder you are searched when entering the malls in the Philippines,in most cases they will allow you through with a light pat down but might be different if you have a knife or gun.
Yes you and I know that and others that have visited the Phils and also those that live here understand that regardless of weather of what the locals do or carry we may not as we are not citizens ...... I used to carry a lock back Gerber knife but decided about 2 years ago not to mainly because they can and will confiscate it if they find it on you when entering ANY building that has a guard searching you .... and as I carried that knife for apprx. 15 years I didn't want to loose it ...... now I understand you can just not enter the building and go else where and keep your weapon but if the cops stop you for any reason and decide to search you and like what you carry you can kiss it good by ...... now my asawa and I both carry a can of pepper spray and as soon as I can find a good heavy wooden cane someplace I will carry that ...... for two reasons ..... support and support ...... :lol: ........ stun-guns are also legal but the OP said he didn't like them ..... I had one that looked just like a cell phone and produced 800,000v and I guarantee you if you hit him for 3 sec. he ain't gonna get up (unless you want to stand around and watch him twitch) ........I can't think of anything else you can carry around with you that would be legal for a foreigner to carry ...... I have a number of items here in the house including a 6' tall and 2in in dia. bamboo staff with both ends cord whipped to prevent shattering ......picture of the stun-gun I hadpost-11-0-18832000-1330948267_thumb.jpg Edited by Mike S