Complete Idiot´s Guide To Permanent Relocation

Mr Jet Lag
Posted
Posted

Hello everyone.I´m in my late 30s, I´ve visited over 100 countries and have a PhD in a science topic.I´m thinking of permanent relocation to a quite corner of the world.I was in Chile last year, but it was too expensive for me so now I am on the road again.I visited the Philippines before, and am seriously considering it as a cheaper alternative. Preferably on a relatively quite island , but not too quite...I am think maybe Mindoro???I haven´t done any research, hence the title of this thread.I hope for some feedback, regarding my options for permanent residency, what are the requirements, time frame, costs, etc.How much spare cash would I need?Are there any viable employment prospects?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Hello everyone.I´m in my late 30s, I´ve visited over 100 countries and have a PhD in a science topic.I´m thinking of permanent relocation to a quite corner of the world.I was in Chile last year, but it was too expensive for me so now I am on the road again.I visited the Philippines before, and am seriously considering it as a cheaper alternative. Preferably on a relatively quite island , but not too quite...I am think maybe Mindoro???I haven´t done any research, hence the title of this thread.I hope for some feedback, regarding my options for permanent residency, what are the requirements, time frame, costs, etc.How much spare cash would I need?Are there any viable employment prospects?
In your late 30's I would suggest you could apply for a quota visa or get married. Both would get you a permanent residency. Costs and time frames are all over the map but the extreme high side would be 10K US$.Viable employment depends on your skills and whether they are needed. As you want to live on a quiet island, your primary option is to find one with reasonable (not great) Internet access and work on line.Spare cash? Bring all you can. Whatever you can live on in the US, you can live on here. Don't expect it to suddenly cost you a whole lot less unless you are living large at the moment. If you can live on $2K US there, then you can do it here and have a better quality of life with that money.
  • Like 5

Curley
Posted
Posted

All the info you ask for is already on here ..... just look at the forum titles. If Chile was too expensive then I imagine anywhere would be unless you really dumb down your requirements, go native and live in a tin/bamboo hut. Check out the threads on living on $800 a month for example.

• Like 2

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Search the forum, full of related info.Philippines offers everyting from an Igorot and Ifugao style living up to the lavish lamborghinies with exotic models as drivers...What you pay and what you want makes the difference.Do your research by travelling and seeing for your self.we can tell you how much cost things, where to find what and our experience. We cannot tell you what you will like, that is up to you.

• Like 2