To Retire At 56? Or Rough It Out...

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

When planning your retirement, keep in mind the United Nation life expectancy table.Philippines - 71.7 yearsUSA - 78.3 yearsRetirement is not a topic of conversation in Mozambique. Life expectancy is 39.2 years.Please remember the numbers are average. If you are planning to live longer, someone else has to have a shorter life. To retire at 56? It's not a bad idea. You are more beating the odds if from the Philipines and the United States, but not if you are from Mozambique.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Philippines - 71.7 years
That's the average between male and female. The Avg Life Expectancy for males in the Philippines is 3 years lower - 68.72. (http://www.indexmund...cs_profile.html)OP, this is a personal, individual decision, no one has to live with the consequences of a bad decision but you. Take all the advice with a grain of salt and weigh all your factors as dispassionately as possible, especially your health. The financial aspect is just one part of it. If you're not alive none of it matters.
  • Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted

Does ANYONE know a person that retired early and regretted it? I sure don't.Go for it, start a new chapter and move on man...

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
cannot live a great retirement life without lots of money.
Could not disagree more. All the money in the world won't buy you happiness. All the money in the world won't save you if you are terminally ill.eg, Jackie Kennedy, George Harrison, Linda McCarthy, Steve Jobs, etc. You can be very happy though poor and very rich and miserable. Examples abound.
I agree Mike, A typical Filipino with tight budget and rarely seen without a smile on their face.
  • Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Does ANYONE know a person that retired early and regretted it? I sure don't.Go for it, start a new chapter and move on man...
I don't personally know anyone who admitted it but I only know a couple of expats and those I met through the forum. There was, however, a former member, Travis, who wrote many times of his unhappy life and struggles because of lack of money. He was apparently living on SS only. He eventually moved back to the US to work.
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
There was, however, a former member . . .
Good call. I have also met a couple of real life people who regret running low on money. Their solution is usually to go 'home' and work 'for a while' so they can come back. I don't believe these people regret retiring early. I believe they regret not being able to live the same lifestyle as a retiree as they did when working full time. It is something we have to come to terms with in our owns ways.
  • Like 3

billten
Posted
Posted

Agreed. There is no substitute to decent planning and reasonable expectations; but, i still claim that if you CAN do it; then do it, get off the fence and do it. The timing will never be absolutely perfect...

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I retired at 36 (stopped working at 35 and almost a year of leave) from the Canadian Armed Forces. And I really have regrets! I regret that it's been 18 years of having all the money I made since then go down the drain in a failed marriage and then paying off debts. I will be out of debt later this year and moving asap to the Philippines. Why? Because I am going to be living on my military pension - and while I can survive in Canada on it, I can enjoy life in the Philippines better on the same amount. (Not to mention finding the love of my life there as well) I'm only 54 (barely) but I wished I had moved there when I was 36!!!

• Like 3