Import laws here on autos from the Philippines to the States

Higg-num
Posted
Posted (edited)

Split TopicDave, I believe you did a noble thing. Art2ro, I love your machine ! I must admit that I am very fond of the simpler, reliable, older model auto. Man that thing looks clean. What motor ? 1500CC perhaps ?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
I split this topic so that more would reply to the questions about Import Laws (mentioned by Opening Poster a few posts along)
  • Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Dave, I believe you did a noble thing. Art2ro, I love your machine ! I must admit that I am very fond of the simpler, reliable, older model auto. Man that thing looks clean. What motor ? 1500CC perhaps ?
Only has a 1300cc 3K engine, 4 speed manual transmission. Has a dual twin carburetor! post-682-0-01668900-1330526559_thumb.jpg post-682-0-82172800-1330526577_thumb.jpg post-682-0-67881300-1330526587_thumb.jpg post-682-0-27828000-1330526604_thumb.jpg
  • Like 3

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Wow ! That is a beautiful ride ! She is a real jewel Sir. My compliments. Are there many autos like that there ? Did you have her restored ? Do you not worry about car thieves ?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
Wow ! That is a beautiful ride ! She is a real jewel Sir. My compliments. Are there many autos like that there ? Did you have her restored ? Do you not worry about car thieves ?
She's about 90% restored in & out except for the engine which will be done later in time. Yes, there are other or lots of restored vehicles in the Philippines! I don't worry about car thieves, because my car is old and it's paid for, it just has sentimental value for me since she has been with me ever since we retired here in the Philippines 13 yrs ago!

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

May I beg a question ???? In your opinion...rough estimate on a good 1980's model 4x4 Toyota or 80's model honda would cost a man ?

newexpat
Posted
Posted
Dave, I believe you did a noble thing. Art2ro, I love your machine ! I must admit that I am very fond of the simpler, reliable, older model auto. Man that thing looks clean. What motor ? 1500CC perhaps ?
Only has a 1300cc 3K engine, 4 speed manual transmission. Has a dual twin carburetor! post-682-0-01668900-1330526559_thumb.jpg post-682-0-82172800-1330526577_thumb.jpg post-682-0-67881300-1330526587_thumb.jpg post-682-0-27828000-1330526604_thumb.jpg
It looks just like the US 1975 model engine. My son owns it ..
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
May I beg a question ???? In your opinion...rough estimate on a good 1980's model 4x4 Toyota or 80's model honda would cost a man ?
Here's for starters:http://cars.mitula.p...andcruiser-1980http://wahoy.com/cat...set_add_ad_cat=http://www.ayosdito....s-for-sale-1020

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the links !!!! No I gotta find out about the import laws here on autos from the philippines to the states. L o L

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I gotta find out about the import laws here on autos from the philippines to the states.
I had a brief interest in that idea. When I looked into it I found that most cars here are manufactured for a non US market. To import them to the US would require updating the vehicle to current US standards. Even just to use it for personal use. The only 'work around' I ever came across was to own and register the vehicle in Philippines, as a Philippine citizen, then bring it with you as a persona vehicle, with Philippine plates and they will allow you to drive it around for up to a year or until the registration expires. Once it is there, I suspect you could use it for parts after the year is up or rebuild it to US standards.No links available. I researched that two years ago and did not save links. Things may have changed.
  • Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

My understanding under US Federal Law, you can import pretty much any vehicle with no problems if it is over 25 years old. Now the US Government may allow you to import it but it is up to each individual state as to registration.In California if the Vehicle is 1975 model and older, you are not required to go in for emissions testing. Technically you are required to be up to Federal emissions standards. I know for a fact the Federalization process for emissions is done in California. I had a 1976 Nissan Fairlady Z that was brought back from Okinawa Japan and California required it be up to Federal Emissions standards. Previous owner went through a California State approved emissions conversion facility. Not cheap either.Here is a good place to start with your research.http://www.nhtsa.gov...ages/page2.html

• Like 1