Ever Have This Problem

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I thought I would just pass this on in case it should ever happen to you .......I have for the past few days been getting an exceedingly large numbers of the dreaded ...... "The website has timed out .... please .... blah ... blah ... blah" or something like that ..... anyway it was happening to different sites ... including this one .... at various times of the day and nite ..... I could close my browser and sometimes it would clear up and sometimes not ...... now I'm not talking about maybe once a day but more like 10-15 times a day ..... especially the website I watch TV and movies on ..... at first I thought my IP was being banned from the site but that didn't make sense ..... as I could use my Tab and connect with no problems .....So off to Google I go and for 3 days I searched and search and tried all sorts of things ..... but nothing worked ..... finally I read this posts by someone that said ..... if you have a router unplug the power to it for 5-10 minutes ..... don't just shut it off or reset it ..... unplug it form the the wall ..... I thought this is kinda strange but as I have a router and my DSL router I unplugged both for about 7 minutes ...... and Wala ..... it worked

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If removing power temporarily fixes it, sounds like an overheating problem. I suspect that's the problem with my Globe modem, constantly causing the VPN connection to drop. Very hot to the touch.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I often un plug my phone cord from the wall socket as it re sets the system,same as the router. This can be the same for a cell phone,by switching it off for a few minutes.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

If you are getting hot, you are overheating and really should look into what is causing it... Odds are either you have a bad power source (or power supply) or something is about to die... I guess that's kind of obvious, eh? Sometimes just removing the 5 lbs of dust that accumulates inside might be the problem too. But if that's not the issue? Unplugging the power will not always cause a full reset. Still start by unplugging and waiting a few minutes. I'll wait until the power supply is quite cool to the touch. After power on and all has settled in, still do a manual reset with that most professional of all computer tools - the paper clip stuck in the back reset hole. This will clear any phantom memory that may have been locked in. How can that happen you ask? Got a couple hours for a physics lesson? After the router has fully reset, you are done! Now you can carry on as if you were normal.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

Sometimes when I am unable to connect to the internet I unplug my router for a couple of minutes, then everything is fine.

• Like 1

billten
Posted
Posted

Main problem i have with Globe is DNS related. Switch to the free DNS servers and its all good. I don't think that resetting the router would give the DNS a reset but with Globe, i am not so sure ;-)

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Main problem i have with Globe is DNS related. Switch to the free DNS servers and its all good. I don't think that resetting the router would give the DNS a reset but with Globe, i am not so sure ;-)
The router may be clipping the data package and sometimes this can be corrected by a reset. This is pretty rare to have happen now. But if the router is clipping there is usually a more intense issue causing the problem.So people understand why this can happen: DNS is determined by a set of computers located at the base of the internet (for demonstration purposes). We send a signal to these computers in code asking for contact with a certain computer or network. These computers listen to what we ask for and then say "oh, you want john brown"... That is basically DNS - the Domain Naming System. When the router is the issue, part of the information package (think of the cars in a train) is clipped out and put either in the wrong order or is replaced by a different piece of information. Now you have that error. The job of the router is to redirect the 'train cars" into the proper order for the train to make sense and put them onto the right "track" to get to their proper destination. Let's just go out and buy my book... (Quick, I need a publisher!!!)
  • Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

it could be a lot worse like using SmartBro :mocking:

• Like 2

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
you are overheating and really should look into what is causing it...
Happens alot across the board in the Philippines.... BECAUSE IT IS HOT HERE!! :mocking: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: Seriosly though, IAB has it correct, dust is a HUGE issue here and then some devices just cannot cool in 90+ degrees F. I have several devices with fans blowing on them as having suffered similar troubles, cleaning the dust and hitting it with one of those small fams does the trick for me. :tiphat:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the suggestions and reasoning ..... and I agree with most of the suggestions and in-put ..... but neither router was over heating and no way near to hot ...... I know that can be the normal cause of most hardware malfunctions and was the first thing I checked ...... resetting the router with the reset button is great if you want to go back into it later and put back all your settings such as gaming and special permissions ...... but as I have disabled the router capabilities of my Globe DSL/router in my Linksys router I didn't want to delete all that info and then have to install it all again ..... took me days to find out how to disable their router as it was ..... while I can't say exactly why it worked by shutting down both units and starting them back up ... it did and I'm greatfull for that ...... something bout the IP address resetting but I don't believe that as Globe uses a static IP and I don't believe it can be changed .....anyway thanks for all the replies