Ever Have This Problem

Jake
Posted
Posted
Thanks for all the suggestions and reasoning ..... and I agree with most of the suggestions and in-put ..... but neither router was over heating and no way near to hot ...... I know that can be the normal cause of most hardware malfunctions and was the first thing I checked ...... resetting the router with the reset button is great if you want to go back into it later and put back all your settings such as gaming and special permissions ...... but as I have disabled the router capabilities of my Globe DSL/router in my Linksys router I didn't want to delete all that info and then have to install it all again ..... took me days to find out how to disable their router as it was ..... while I can't say exactly why it worked by shutting down both units and starting them back up ... it did and I'm greatfull for that ...... something bout the IP address resetting but I don't believe that as Globe uses a static IP and I don't believe it can be changed .....anyway thanks for all the replies
It would seem like you ruled out your Linksys router. The only thing remaining is your desk top. I know you havecustom built your rig but could it be your Ethernet card, wireless or cat 5 inside your tower? And perhaps at thelast resort, may I humbly suggest this: http://www.philippin...dpost__p__50417By the way, do they sell AC regulators there to smooth out the spikes and compensate voltage levels?
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Thanks for all the suggestions and reasoning ..... and I agree with most of the suggestions and in-put ..... but neither router was over heating and no way near to hot ...... I know that can be the normal cause of most hardware malfunctions and was the first thing I checked ...... resetting the router with the reset button is great if you want to go back into it later and put back all your settings such as gaming and special permissions ...... but as I have disabled the router capabilities of my Globe DSL/router in my Linksys router I didn't want to delete all that info and then have to install it all again ..... took me days to find out how to disable their router as it was ..... while I can't say exactly why it worked by shutting down both units and starting them back up ... it did and I'm greatfull for that ...... something bout the IP address resetting but I don't believe that as Globe uses a static IP and I don't believe it can be changed .....anyway thanks for all the replies
It would seem like you ruled out your Linksys router. The only thing remaining is your desk top. I know you havecustom built your rig but could it be your Ethernet card, wireless or cat 5 inside your tower? And perhaps at thelast resort, may I humbly suggest this: http://www.philippin...dpost__p__50417By the way, do they sell AC regulators there to smooth out the spikes and compensate voltage levels?
Nice call Jake but I ruled out anything internal once he said he unplugged both his routers for 7 minutes and then everything was working fine. He didn't touch the main box. So, down to routers, dying power supply to same or external cabling... doubt it's cables but then again... And without doing the reset on his Linksys, we'll never really know... Unless the hairballs start falling out the cooling vents of one of his routers... (Mike's avatar - Bubbles - was known for looking after all the stray cats in the trailer park - and for living in a garden shed with all these strays! :dance: )
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Nice call Jake but I ruled out anything internal once he said he unplugged both his routers for 7 minutes and then everything was working fine. He didn't touch the main box. So, down to routers, dying power supply to same or external cabling... doubt it's cables but then again... And without doing the reset on his Linksys, we'll never really know... Unless the hairballs start falling out the cooling vents of one of his routers... (Mike's avatar - Bubbles - was known for looking after all the stray cats in the trailer park - and for living in a garden shed with all these strays! :dance: )
Well, we're both senior electronics tech. I guess at the last resort, we could both recommend Mike Sto break out the ultimate troubleshooting tool: a 24 ounce hammer to perform a vibration test...he, he.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Nice call Jake but I ruled out anything internal once he said he unplugged both his routers for 7 minutes and then everything was working fine. He didn't touch the main box. So, down to routers, dying power supply to same or external cabling... doubt it's cables but then again... And without doing the reset on his Linksys, we'll never really know... Unless the hairballs start falling out the cooling vents of one of his routers... (Mike's avatar - Bubbles - was known for looking after all the stray cats in the trailer park - and for living in a garden shed with all these strays! :541: )
Well, we're both senior electronics tech. I guess at the last resort, we could both recommend Mike Sto break out the ultimate troubleshooting tool: a 24 ounce hammer to perform a vibration test...he, he.
Hey! You're good! I always had to use the 36 ouncers..! :dance:

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Thanks guy but I run Core Temp and SpeedFan on start up and so I monitor my rig pretty good and have 6 cooling fans my ...... exhaust air from the box is at 34.5C at this moment .... which is 94.5F and is monitored with a digital sensor located on one of the exhaust fans ..... I have the temp. sensor alarms on the Gigabyte MB set pretty low to alarm if anything over heats .... it sounds when the PC is turned on so I know it works ......I also completely tear down the rig twice a year and clean EVERYTHING and put it all back together ..... I put Arctic Silver paste on the CPU cooler base and usually the Vid card but as the Vid card has 4 more months to go under the 1yr. warranty ..... I'll wait until it runs out before disassembling it ..... but I agree manufactures put crap paste on their products ..... the CPU cooler I put on myself so I know it has the Arctic Silver under it ...... Maybe my Linksys router as it is about 8 years old and never gets turned off unless I shut it off or a power failure ...... it's a WRT54G ver 5.0 ...... their cheap enough so I may just get another and see if the problem persists ..... and if it does I gots me a spare router ..... but I don't have near the problem I did haveThe Globe is a ProLink ADSL2+ ..... modem/router ....... as it doesn't even get warm there is not much I can do about it .....

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
Thanks guy but I run Core Temp and SpeedFan on start up and so I monitor my rig pretty good and have 6 cooling fans my ...... exhaust air from the box is at 34.5C at this moment .... which is 94.5F and is monitored with a digital sensor located on one of the exhaust fans ..... I have the temp. sensor alarms on the Gigabyte MB set pretty low to alarm if anything over heats .... it sounds when the PC is turned on so I know it works ......I also completely tear down the rig twice a year and clean EVERYTHING and put it all back together ..... I put Arctic Silver paste on the CPU cooler base and usually the Vid card but as the Vid card has 4 more months to go under the 1yr. warranty ..... I'll wait until it runs out before disassembling it ..... but I agree manufactures put crap paste on their products ..... the CPU cooler I put on myself so I know it has the Arctic Silver under it ......Maybe my Linksys router as it is about 8 years old and never gets turned off unless I shut it off or a power failure ...... it's a WRT54G ver 5.0 ...... their cheap enough so I may just get another and see if the problem persists ..... and if it does I gots me a spare router ..... but I don't have near the problem I did haveThe Globe is a ProLink ADSL2+ ..... modem/router ....... as it doesn't even get warm there is not much I can do about it .....
Well, at least you do remember something good from the US Marine Corps. And that was preventive maintenance. I always hated the 2 hour dis-assembly of a major piece of equipment in order to clean a fan out, which took only5 minutes. But in the long run, the mean time between failures improved drastically. I would love to see your rig and the videos games you continuously play for 25/7. I'm gonna buy that Arctic Silverthermal compound. It definitely had some excellent reviews for it. Looks like you solved on your recent problem.But I still have that hammer on standby, just in case....he, he.Game on -- Jake
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

And you needed us for..? Sounds like you've got it all figured out just fine!!!

chimellie
Posted
Posted

It seems like anything that has eletronic parts inside you need to unplug and wait a few minutes the plug it back in when you get weird symtoms. I am in the US and once in a while I have to do the same to my modem, computer, cable box, TV.........I can't explain it.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
It seems like anything that has eletronic parts inside you need to unplug and wait a few minutes the plug it back in when you get weird symtoms. I am in the US and once in a while I have to do the same to my modem, computer, cable box, TV.........I can't explain it.
I am Bob, Mike S, Flyaway and a few other hardware techs can say it's the gremlins. When something works all of the sudden, it's called FM (xxxkin' magic)....he, he. No seriously, when electronics are subject to extremeenvironmental conditions like heat, dust, humidity, vibration or electronic interference -- intermittent problemsare signs that the circuits are being stressed out. If you have the basic hand tools, you can open and visuallyinspect the innards of your equipment. Visual inspection is the first and primary tool for troubleshooting.And then we have the ultimate tool -- yeah, you guessed it, a heavy duty hammer to put it out of its misery.
  • Like 3

chimellie
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am Bob, Mike S, Flyaway and a few other hardware techs can say it's the gremlins. When something worksall of the sudden, it's called FM (xxxkin' magic)....he, he. No seriously, when electronics are subject to extremeenvironmental conditions like heat, dust, humidity, vibration or electronic interference -- intermittent problemsare signs that the circuits are being stressed out. If you have the basic hand tools, you can open and visuallyinspect the innards of your equipment. Visual inspection is the first and primary tool for troubleshooting.And then we have the ultimate tool -- yeah, you guessed it, a heavy duty hammer to put it out of its misery.
Yes sometimes I feel like to take a hammer to it too...LOL...Yes electronic devices are growing more and more complex , a small chip can contain a million tiny transistors, switches, gates so they are called. At any given time, 1 of those tarnsistors can act funny...... Edited by chimellie
  • Like 3