Communists’, Family And Money

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My wife is great in every way a very smart educated lady who knows me inside and out. Over the years I’ve learned to trust her just go with “stuff” anyway life is good…… So here’s the latest.Our oldest Niece is finishing college and we sent the last payment my wife informed me. Cool!She then said “ Momma has another helper now”A second helper? I ask.Well… “she is 14 years old and a (distant family member) oh..... she is going to school now.”Translation; my family is politely asking money in order for this family member to go to a good school and they know “we” have extra money because the college tuition is done and in the past I have provided money for education.I trust my mother in laws judgment and figure this young lady well deserves a good education.Then my wife add’s an explanation; “her father can not pay for the school because he is in hiding”Oh that’s too bad I say.My wife responded “yes, he joined the NPA”I guess I’ll just turn myself into homeland security now and get it over with. Oddly enough my son who is a Marine has spent time TDY in Philippines (Clark).Only in da Philippines! What’s a poor Kano to do?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

My opinion is DONT SUPPORT,why?1st it encourages this type of behaviour2, who knows what BIG BROTHER KNOWS? (meaning home government or local)by supporting the family, indirectly your supporting the "fugitive",by supporting the "fugitive"your could be considered "aiding". I am not a "legal" expert.Another way to help is to pay the Tuition Directly (have your wife NOT YOU)to the school not thru the student/family this would 'reduce" direct involvement.

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

I say pay and give the child an education if you can afford it, its nice to help someone when you can :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i say help if you can, my wife has a 14 yr old girl from the hills living with her while i am gone, she helps my wife and in return we pay for her school, she could not afford the piso it take to and from school and we have room, only thing, i think my wife is getting use to a helper , this may turn into a long term situation hahahahah

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'm with you Okieboy, it's a win win. Very likely this young lady is going to be my mother in laws "unofficial" daughter. I'm OK with kicking in educational support to her for the next six years or so.WTF was the girls father thinking anyway?

Garpo
Posted
Posted (edited)

As I see it. You can decide not to pay because you do not in any way want to help any member of the NPA for the obvious reasons. You also have a son in the military, so your feelings along with his must be very strong, and I agree with those type of feelings.But is it the girl that is a member? Is there a chance that by helping this girl to get a decent education a way to get her educated and make something of her life rather than going back to her father and possibly letting her, in somehow support and assist them?I think that maybe the best way to show support for your son and the fight against the NPA is to educate a young girl in that she can get away form that type of life and probably stop any chance that her and any children that she might have to also avoid that type of life. How do you know that by assisting her that she might someday be able to also get her father away from them? I agree that it would be best to pay the school directly and not provide any money to any other family member that could misdirect it. I would look at it as a way for you to help fight the NPA is by educating this young girl.If things do not go well and you see problems you can certainly stop the assistance at any time. Who is this girl going to respect the most, you or her father who does nothing for her?

Edited by Garpo
  • Like 4

billten
Posted
Posted

Another thing is that if you pay, now you will have an NPA member who has utang na loob to you. Maybe that will change his thinking a little about kidnapping the next white guy that stays into the territiory.

• Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Keep well clear of that situation!!!!! You never know what the reactions of a guy with a lot of trigger happy friends who run free can do. after all NPA is not so much on the idealistic side of communism (most of them they know nothing of what they claim they support, simply poor or opportunistic people who find the chance through an organisation to be something else than nothing).even though i would support a regime such as the former eastern block regimes here in Philippines, not the place to discuss why i say so (no i am not a communist but i have seen first hand how they were actually living in these regimes), never the less i wouldn't help or support any Pinoy farmer or so, joining NPA. I met them, i live just besides them, many days or nights i hear the sounds of their guns or the army guns hunting them. NO DO NOT SUPPORT THAT, KEEP WELL CLEAR KEEP AWAY FROM SUCH A CONFLICT!!!!!!They send someone to ask money from me, they investigated my funds, they left me alone after a long convincing talk...ONE MORE TIME, KEEP AWAY!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Or could it be just a cover story to explain the father has run off with another woman?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately you are correct, he is not a member of the NPA but left his wife and children for a woman who is active in the NPA. At least that's the latest story.I trust my mother in laws judgment and like I said I think she has "adopted" the girl this is not uncommon in Philippines.

• Like 1