Canvas - Ayala Terraces Cebu

jode
Posted
Posted

Had hands down the best meal I ever had, in my year in the philippines. Someone mentioned this place in another forum so thought i would try it. Was surprised that the dining area was closer to diner style than elegant restraunt. The kitchen is open and you can see the chefs doing their thing while you wait for your order. The service was friendly and personable and very alert to filling up water or whatever needed. The appetizer was superb. Would kill for a jar of that dip. The entree was perfect. The beef tender and like the best you ever tasted. The deserts very yummy. The portions just right to satisfy your hunger without feeling stuffed or needing doggie bag. Total cost for drinks appetizer, two entrees and two deserts and coffee was 1200 pesos, well worth it. I have other restraunts I like such as Casa Verde and I like japanese food, but canvas is new favorite for me. So often in past went into a elegant looking place ready to pay for a great meal and expecting special because of the fancy decor only to be disappointed and feeling ripped off because of the crap food. The Canvas saved their elegant for the food, therefore worth the expense.

• Like 3

billten
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tip man, i'll give it a try on our upcoming wedding anniversary. Getting tired of the usual places (Gustavian, Lemon Grass, etc. etc)...BTW, Krissy and i love Viet food and the other day we tried a Viet resto in Pacific Mall. Can't remember the name but its outside near CikkaAn. Really good, the Pho is just perfect, if you enjoy a spicy steaming bowl of beef noodles, go for it...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Had hands down the best meal I ever had, in my year in the philippines.
Total cost for drinks appetizer, two entrees and two deserts and coffee was 1200 pesos, well worth it.
These are great tips. Thanks for the suggestion. Can you recall, was your choice on the low end of the price scale or the high end? There are still a lot of us who think 1200 pesos for dinner for 2 is just not in the budget.
  • Like 2

jode
Posted
Posted

Well cutting out the appetizer, desert, and coffee would cut the bill in half maybe. I recall most of the entrees were about the same price from about 280 to 400 pesos. Not a price i would pay often for a meal either but for a once or twice a month treat. Casa Verde is less expensive.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

The canvas is owned by an Australian guy, I think he told me he was once a chef on cruise ships but its been two years since I spoke to him. Food and service good, they have an extra room at the back if you want group bookings or what ever. Well worth a try.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Well worth a try.
Too bad you will miss the get together, Jolly one. An old dog, (me), is trying to learn new tricks from a newer member, so we will try to hold the forum get together there. How about a quick flight over and back just to buy a round . . . er I mean enjoy our company :AddEmoticons04230:

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the pricing info. I will make sure I keep clear of that place.Regards; Jim

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the pricing info. I will make sure I keep clear of that place.Regards; Jim
I think you have to remember it is a restaurant and things like good steak will cost you.I do recall there were many cheaper items on the menu.Here is a quote from an older post.
My wife and I ordered the local beef fillet and it came with a smattering of blue cheese on each fillet and on top of garlic mashed potato's and some wok fried Asian greens. The price for my wife who ordered it as an entree which only came with one fillet was p195 and I ordered it as a main course and it cost p295 and came with 2 fillets. We both enjoyed the meal and we finished it off with a chocolate desert.My wife and I really enjoyed dining at Canvas and we will be going back again and again and again to try many more items on the menu. I should also say that they have a semi private room in the back that is good for 27 people the way it was set up and my wife and I would recommend that members try it when they get a chance. They have an extensive two page menu with entrees such as spaghetti and beef meat balls in creamy tomato sauces for as low as p130 or a main course for p220 and they also offer a beef burger with caramelized onions, cheese, tomato, friend egg, coleslaw & chips for p240.Oh and the beer was reasonable as well with Pilsen or SM light for p60 and imported beer such as Heineken for p125 and they also offered Jack Daniels for p135

andre007
Posted
Posted

The food is very good and fresh. My friend took me there a few times and their Turkey Sandwich is delicious and will fill you up. Their Potato fries are also good and I could not recall the name of this Curry dish I had but it was also good. I have also tried their Pot Pie which is " off the chain".I am very frugal and I do not think I could eat their everyday but for a treat I would recommend if you want fresh food well prepared at a decent price..Oh the Turkey was from a freshly roasted Turkey.

• 1 month later...
phildiver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had the Cream Dory there. Very good and a half way decent Ceasar Salad as well.

Edited by phildiver