Canvas - Ayala Terraces Cebu

billten
Posted
Posted

Ate there last week, the place is still my favourite resto in Cebu. Food is great, always interesting, such a wide selection and the prices are decent. Not sure about everyone else but IMO you should all go and make up your own mind, i love the place.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
scott perry
Posted
Posted

I am new to this site, but was recomended by a friend. Having eaten at Canvas many times I thought it deserved my comments also.

My wife & I, & sometimes with friends are basically regulars at Canvas...

I noticed a coment on the steaks..With out a doubt one of the best tasting, tender & fat free steaks I have ever tasted is the one they call imported australian meltique beef striploin, its a good size (must be about 200 to 220 grams), its totally fat free & deliciously tender & its only 920 peso, I have tried many other good steaks around town but this one is definately so much better & doesnt cost 1200, 1400, or 1850 peso like most other good steaks cost around town cost.

The cheapest entree we tried was the ever so good lightly curried pumpkin soup for 60 peso & the most expensive one we had cost 295 peso but that was for asian salmon & prawn skewers which were also great, most entrees are between 140 to 195 peso, the main salads cost a bit more (but its a main course size), we usually have an entee salad about 140 - 150 peso, they are different to most salads i love the combinations of stuff inside as they are nice, light & healthy.

The mains cost from lowest about 195 peso to 495, there are fall off the bone yummy lamb shanks for a bit more but its excellent, & steaks cost a bit more but are much better quality & cheaper than most I have found.

The desserts have changed again, which I was dissapointed about as I love the white chocolate cheesecake, but chef steve the owner literally gave me the new chocolate amaretto cheesecake to try.....ok my dissapointment dissappeared with each mouthful, I now have a new favourite, we have tried a few of the new desserts when we had room & always enjoyed them

Overall I must recommend Canvas, as we have never been dissapointed in our numerous visits, the prices are very good & not expensive as some people may think, the wines & cocktails, especially the Mojito is very good, service one of the best around by far, & my favourite is that the owners are on the floor & in the kitchen quite a bit....I have been there on a busy full night & the chef steve seems to be a firecracker in the kitchen when staff are do wrong & maybe mess up, so we get a show sometimes as well.....love it.

from a dedicated Canvas Fan

Scott & Jo Perry

• Like 1

scott perry
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow you guys are like kids, both have interesting comments, but sorry Dave Hound driver, Adventurer wins my vote by far

99% of restaurants, cafes or food places in cebu ALL SERVE SICKLY SWEET ARTIFICIAL "ADD WATER & STIR" INSTANT ICE TEA, canvas is the only place I know that makes & serves real freshly brewed ice tea that is not sickly sweet....It is not difficult to ask someone for sugar syrup or somemore water as the tea is too strong for your province girl. How absolutely pedantic you are.

As for the fish & chips being hot, that just shows it was just cooked on the spot for you & should be hot, but maybe you prefer it cold or warm like most other places serve there food, maybe next time put a smaller pieces in your mouth first & if you need more sauce I can understand for you it must be difficult to ask the staff for some more sauce, oh u didnt mention it comes with a vinegar dip & calamansi also, I know this as i have had the same dish about 4 times now & its always excellent & for me Hot (not warm or cold).

Oh & the chef asked you how your meal was, what a small pair you must have if you cannot voice your opinion to someone like the chef who obviously cares about his guests. . . , but I am a dedicated Canvas fan, I can understand some comments, but unfortunately yours are too provincial for me.....

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Edited due to author's subsequent post

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I do apologize for my comments, but I am a dedicated Canvas fan, I can understand some comments, but unfortunately yours are too provincial for me.....

Is that the only reason you came to this forum or you have other interest?

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow you guys are like kids, both have interesting comments, but sorry Dave Hound driver, Adventurer wins my vote by far

99% of restaurants, cafes or food places in cebu ALL SERVE SICKLY SWEET ARTIFICIAL "ADD WATER & STIR" INSTANT ICE TEA, canvas is the only place I know that makes & serves real freshly brewed ice tea that is not sickly sweet....It is not difficult to ask someone for sugar syrup or somemore water as the tea is too strong for your province girl. How absolutely pedantic you are.

As for the fish & chips being hot, that just shows it was just cooked on the spot for you & should be hot, but maybe you prefer it cold or warm like most other places serve there food, maybe next time put a smaller pieces in your mouth first & if you need more sauce I can understand for you it must be difficult to ask the staff for some more sauce, oh u didnt mention it comes with a vinegar dip & calamansi also, I know this as i have had the same dish about 4 times now & its always excellent & for me Hot (not warm or cold).

Oh & the chef asked you how your meal was, what a small pair you must have if you cannot voice your opinion to someone like the chef who obviously cares about his guests. But instead your small pair grow when you are on the computer writing about your experience.

How sad you are, I also suggest local style eating places for you & your province friend, as it seems that would be much more suited to you..

I do apologize for my comments, but I am a dedicated Canvas fan, I can understand some comments, but unfortunately yours are too provincial for me.....

Wow, didn't realize that different reviews and recommendations of a certain restaurant would bring such emotional opinions.

You (Scott Perry) have absolutely the freedom to express your loyal dedication to Canvas. But you certainly will not make

any friends here if you continue to personally slam a fellow member: what a small pair you must have if you cannot voice

your opinion to someone like the chef who obviously cares about his guests. But instead your small pair grow when you are

on the computer writing about your experience.

I believe it is you that is overly pedantic. Chill out please -- you're killing this topic.

Jake

Edited by Jake
sentence structure
  • Like 1

scott perry
Posted
Posted

not at all jollygood fellow, I was recommended to this site last night by a gentleman I met through my work. We seemed to have a bit in common including the places we like to eat with family & friends. So while I had some downtime I thought I'd check out some of my favourite eateries on this site. I do intend to place my thoughts on the restaurants I like or make a few comments here or there. I am sorry if my comments offended you in anyway. But after reading some people comments in various sites about the places I like.. It seems some people are so unfairly pedantic..They cannot tell the staff of a problem & tell them all is good, but when they get to a pc they have bad things to say, I personally feel if you are paying for something & it is not correct or you dont like it, 9 times out of 10 if you speak to the staff your problems can be rectified & you can still leave being somewhat happy. I just dont like the way the reviewing rubbished it, without giving the restraunt a chance to make it better

scott perry
Posted
Posted

also jolly good fellow, I havent explored all of your site yet but the few areas I looked at are great for me & quite helpful, I do intend to visit all areas & make use of it. Well done on your site, its very informative...Its just I am new to your site..thanks

scott perry
Posted
Posted

Fair enough Jake, you are 100% correct.

My sincere apologies to hounddriver, my choice of words was incorrect.. Sorry

Scott Perry

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
My sincere apologies to hounddriver, my choice of words was incorrect.. Sorry

Your comments are welcome. My experience seems to be one held by myself only. Thus I took your post at face value and simply removed the words that I felt were a personal attack. The rest of your review seems heartfelt and I agree to accept that the majority have overwhelmingly good experiences at Canvas.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Isn't it just grand that we ALL have different tastes ... likes and dislikes .... and have the free choice to voice our opinion on how WE view a restaurant or business regardless on how another might view it ..... just because someone falls in love with a certain business doesn't mean that others may like it and the negative views as far as I'm concerned are just as welcome as the ones that rave about the food and service ..... and just as a side note I have personally found (IMHO) that complaining to anyone that works or owns a business here in the Philippines .... or for that matter back in the US (sorry don't know about any other country) does little or anything to solve your problem ..... all you get is the deer in the headlights look which means nothing registered ...... or simply put .... we don't give a crap ... go some place else ..... I suppose if you just took one bite and like I did of an under cooked pizza they would re-heat it for you .... but then they burned the the toppings .... but hey ..... the inside was done right .....

I personally don't feel I should have to complain about anything if I go into a business ..... why should I .... it should be right the first time ... and if not I too will vote with my feet AND tell other people MY opinion of that business ..... that is my privilege ..... IMHO ........ :cheersty:

• Like 4