Cathay Pacific - Brief Rant & A Question

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

My rant: Years ago I was under the impression that Cathay was a customer service oriented airline like most of the classic Asian flag carriers were. Now, they seem to be like every one else and their only concern is saving every buck they can. I booked a ticket online because they have the best price, and now I have a question about it, and it is impossible to get in touch with them. I have been calling their US customer service number for two days, and they have a recording "Cathay Pacific is currently experiencing high call volumes. If you receive a busy signal, please hang up and try again later". Then a busy signal. This is ongoing for two days straight! :cheersty: How can you run a business like that? There is no e-mail available either.My question for them, and maybe someone here can answer it, is this. The ticket is for my girlfriend to come here next month, but I wanted to pay for it here on my CC because I will get it for free with rewards. After I bought it, there is a strange statement on the confirmation:The physical credit card used to pay for tickets must be presented by the cardholder for verification at check-in, when collecting the tickets, or at a Cathay Pacific Ticketing Office prior to flight departure. The cardholder does not need to book and travel. The carrier reserves the right to deny boarding, or collect a guarantee payment (in cash or from a new credit card) should the cardholder fail to present the physical card originally used for booking transaction.Do I need to worry about this? Obviously I will not be there with the credit card. This is insane. The cardholder does not need to book and travel, I just need to show up somewhere with my card? They will be paid far in advance, why would they care? In fact, I called my CC card company and the transaction has already been approved. I wanted to make sure there were no issues with it because sometimes they flag up transactions in Phils for review.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It looks very cut and dried. Different airlines have different policies about that. Some will let you send a letter with a photocopy of the credit card but what you are writing looks very specific. What is not said is: Can you just go to your local airport, walk up to the Cathay Pacific counter, and show them the credit card now and thus put it to rest?

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

My suggestion, at the very least, is to send a copy of the front and back of the card to your girl friend.It is easy to do a fraudulent credit card transaction on line. Cathay Pacific will want to ensure that the actual card holder is the one who bought the ticketsRegards: Jim

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I know it's frustrating but I would keep trying to call CP or visit an office, they probably have a "check credit card" note when she checks in. They are very careful with fiights to/from SE Asia. I found a number of replies saying you can fax, email, or show the CC in person at a CP office to have the requirement removed and I would make sure she also has a copy of the credit card with a note from you stating she is authorized to use the ticket. She can be denied boarding - http://www.elliott.o...e-i-paid-twice/.

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oh boy matey you is in for some fun! (Did I sound like Jake? Hehe!)Seriously I have run across this before and it really is a pain in the Butte Montana! Sometimes they will let you send in a copy - other times you have to show up in person. Since your letter said to show up in person, I would high tail it to their closest office (not a travel agency representing them either) and show them your credit card along with a few other picture IDs, give them a letter that the ticket is for your girlfriend as well as make sure that this is all enterred in their database before you leave! It is a well known fact that many airlines kind of forget to input the data afterwards... "Didn't you do that, Jane?" - "No, Martha, I thought you did!" - "Oops! My bad!" Also it's not a bad idea to get a copy from the airline with a file number that they have accepted your credit card (or a receipt acknowleding the fact) as valid and yours (for the purpose of this ticket) and email a copy to your girlfriend. This way, if it does not show when she goes to get the ticket, she will have proof. It's a little leg work for you but well worth it if there's a chance your girlfriend may have trouble getting to be with you!Now that I have scared you with all these facts and figures, it's because you did the purchase online... All the airline wants to do is confirm that you - the owner of the credit card - truly are the one paying for the ticket. This is very common when using points as well! It's just their follow-up that really stinks!Just an add-on to make things easier for you... If you have to go to the airport to do this, check to see if they have an administrative office there before going to their booth. Odds are this is where you will end up anyway and also the work should be done properly for their requirements and yours! And very quickly I hope!

Edited by i am bob

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

What time of day are you calling? Is the office in the States or Philippines? Try calling about 8 or 9 AM. My wife had an issue with them several years ago in Cebu. She had to go to a travel agent a few pesos exchanged and a phone call made and all good to go done so perhaps your lady can do the same thing.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
What time of day are you calling? Is the office in the States or Philippines? Try calling about 8 or 9 AM. My wife had an issue with them several years ago in Cebu. She had to go to a travel agent a few pesos exchanged and a phone call made and all good to go done so perhaps your lady can do the same thing.
Ok, thanks for the advice! I am calling the US number during US business hours and I get the message. I will try the HKG number tonight.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Unbelievable!I finally got in touch with Cathay, after 3 days of getting the "due to high call volume" message. I had to wait 30 minutes on hold before getting through to an agent.The agent said there is no exception. I have to go to a Cathay ticket office to prove my identity before she flies, or she will have to pay for the ticket again (same price) when she checks in, and I will get a refund of the credit card charge. The closest office is in Chicago, and I am in Cincinnati, 6 hours away.Has the world gone insane? How the hell can they operate a business like this? :thumbsup: Is this policy only for Philippines?I could have her pay for it, but the reason for using this credit card was because I have enough miles for this to be a free ticket. If I have her pay, that goes out the window, but I could use the rewards for another trip. I'm not too thrilled about her having to carry over 50,000 p to the airport either.So, I guess my best option will be to go up to Chicago a day early and visit the ticket office, before she flies. I try not to take it out on individual employees when companies perform poorly, but they are going to get an earful when I get there, as well as a complaint letter about their customer service and this policy.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Is this policy only for Philippines?
No, this appears to be their policy across the board:"Please note: The physical credit card used to pay for tickets must be presented by the cardholder for verification at check-in, or when collecting the tickets. Otherwise the cardholder must present the physical card used at the nearest Cathay Pacific Ticketing Office for verification prior to the flight departure."http://www.cathaypac...ketpurchase/pay

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Dear OnMyWay,It occurs to me that this is a very minor inconvenience by Philippine standards. If this minor inconvenience gives you such a degree of stress then I am going to suggest that living in the Philippines will give you a stroke or a heart attack. You REALLY need to learn to not sweat the small stuff. (Or perhaps you are just venting to us here which is what many of us do and that's all good.)I'm not trying to be smart here, This is meant to be legitimate advice. This place, Philippines, will drive you nuts if you have even the desire for first world business practice. (And yes I realize your current headache is not specifically Philippine related but it is about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 on my 'things that will stress you out while living in the Philippines" scale.) Hmmmm. That might be an idea for a new topic if someone wants to run with it.

• Like 2