Cathay Pacific - Brief Rant & A Question

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Even my ex from Taiwan would not fly China Air... hehe! She was scared the wheels would fall off!

:mocking:

Don't need them in the air? :)

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

The question has been brought up many times before about transient stops. Since many of the problems seem to focus on US bound flights, I did a little research on the US website. It basically says that every passenger not from a visa waiver country must have a visa no exceptions. This means that if your flight even flies into US air space enroute to your destination, passengers are required to have a minimum of a transit © visa. For more info visit travel.state.gov .

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The question has been brought up many times before about transient stops. Since many of the problems seem to focus on US bound flights, I did a little research on the US website. It basically says that every passenger not from a visa waiver country must have a visa no exceptions. This means that if your flight even flies into US air space enroute to your destination, passengers are required to have a minimum of a transit © visa. For more info visit travel.state.gov .

Yup! I used to die laughing everytime a flight flew into Toronto or Hamilton from a southern direction for landing... The fighters would launch out of Niagara (US) and patrol the border so nobody would cross that invisible line in the air... I can't confirm it but I had heard stories that in the first days of doing this, one of the fighters demanded an Air Canada flight in Canadian air space follow him in to Niagara or he would shoot him down... It supposedly hit the radio and less than an hour later it was hushed up - never to be heard again! Now i think it's just a story but the way people from Canada were treated at the border in those days, you never know!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yup! I used to die laughing everytime a flight flew into Toronto or Hamilton from a southern direction for landing... The fighters would launch out of Niagara (US) and patrol the border so nobody would cross that invisible line in the air... I can't confirm it but I had heard stories that in the first days of doing this, one of the fighters demanded an Air Canada flight in Canadian air space follow him in to Niagara or he would shoot him down... It supposedly hit the radio and less than an hour later it was hushed up - never to be heard again! Now i think it's just a story but the way people from Canada were treated at the border in those days, you never know!

Transit visa? That is a new one to me. Must be a post 9/11 invention. We need to know whose underwear we will check! :lol:

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Transit visa? That is a new one to me. Must be a post 9/11 invention. We need to know whose underwear we will check! :lol:

I agree, more intense inspection for the travelling public. I'll make sure my underwear has the yellow stains in

front and brown stains in the back! And if they require me to take off my shoes, they might declare air borne

biological attack.....he, he.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Following along on the 'off topic' train of thought, the US is the wild card in air travel today. As my Cathay Pacific took off from Vancouver, we headed east into the wind and turned south to circle around to the north west (Yep, no typo here). As we turned to the south the flight attendants announced something about leaving all carry on luggage stowed in the overheads while flying through US airspace (for a mile or two) because US regulations require it. After reading this thread I am curious to know if all those Canada to Honk Kong passengers were required to have a US visa because we circled to the south instead of the north . . Hmmmm . . I will never know.

By the way, I am home now. Hi guys!

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome home Dave. Dave! I did not know you were away. :)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Following along on the 'off topic' train of thought, the US is the wild card in air travel today. As my Cathay Pacific took off from Vancouver, we headed east into the wind and turned south to circle around to the north west (Yep, no typo here). As we turned to the south the flight attendants announced something about leaving all carry on luggage stowed in the overheads while flying through US airspace (for a mile or two) because US regulations require it. After reading this thread I am curious to know if all those Canada to Honk Kong passengers were required to have a US visa because we circled to the south instead of the north . . Hmmmm . . I will never know.

Welcome home Dave!

I was checking into this after my last post on here and here is the general rule of thumb that they go by now....

If your flight to Canada is scheduled to land in the US for any reason (even just to refuel with no deplaning involved), if a visa is normally required to enter the country, it will be needed as well to sit onboard while they gas the plane.

If your flight to Canada is not scheduled to land in the US for any reason, those normally requiring a US visa will not need one - but - if the flight is diverted to land the US for any reason (including mechanical), anyone requiring but without a US visa can be held and charged for entering the US illegally. Apparently this situation has happened though the American authorities, rather than risking a bad rap, had everyone on that flight put into a controlled area until another flight could be arranged.

• Like 1