Gun Ownership In The Philippines

Markham
Posted
Posted
As I said Mark, there is no point in arguing with you because most people who come from gun less countries are so brainwashed that they could never see the light at the end of the tunnel until the train hit them.
Lee, that is such a sweeping and insulting statement and had I expressed the converse view along those lines, you'd probably ban me.
it does not surprise me that you moved to the Philippines to get away from your oppressive society and you will probably never admit that either.
Actually that is one of the reasons I moved here although quite not in the way you imagine. Most of the big decisions that affect our lives are not made by elected representatives but rather an appointed Commission and unelected bureaucrats. Now, before you say "but you voted for that", no we didn't: we did mandate our Government, under PM Ted Heath, to take us into the Common Market but we never ever voted for political, economic and monetary union with Europe. No Government has had the balls to put that to the electorate because they know they would be defeated. Prior to the last General Election, Blair (as well as Opposition leaders) promised the electorate an Referendum on the European Constitution. He got re-elected and promptly reneged on the deal arguing that it was simply another Treaty, the details of which were too complicated for the electorate to understand and make an informed decision about.That's why I choose to call the Philippines "home" and it has absolutely nothing to do with gun ownership.
When all is said and done, we are still friends with different views.
Yes, quite!Mark

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Lee, that is such a sweeping and insulting statement and had I expressed the converse view along those lines, you'd probably ban me.Mark
Mark, you have no worries on me banning you for voicing your opinion and I would not ban you even if you insulted me. We are friends and we just have different points of view on this issue, but we both love our Filipina's, so we have a lot in common. :thumbsup: I am of course sorry if my statement was insulting to you, I was just saying it as I saw it.Peace brother. :th_grouphug:

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I see I have been quoted in this debate. I can't recall that I proved the UK was more dangerous than the US and if I did I must have made it up, lolWhile the US is not the worst, it's is certainly more deadly compared to the UK:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...y_homicide_rateInteresting chart, look at the very bottom!But also look at the top. Where do the latins get their guns from?The proliferation of arms, made by the US, UK, Russia, France, Germany and Israel in main, cannot be defended by any words. Death makes a lot of money, period. Give a Columbian coke dealer a gun and he'll use it. Knives are harder work and just as effective but are too cheap.The NRA is funded by the gun makers as the pro smoking lobby by the cigarette firms. Brainwashing - don't make me laugh!

Markham
Posted
Posted
I see I have been quoted in this debate. I can't recall that I proved the UK was more dangerous than the US and if I did I must have made it up, lolWhile the US is not the worst, it's is certainly more deadly compared to the UK:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...y_homicide_rateInteresting chart, look at the very bottom!But also look at the top. Where do the latins get their guns from?The proliferation of arms, made by the US, UK, Russia, France, Germany and Israel in main, cannot be defended by any words. Death makes a lot of money, period. Give a Columbian coke dealer a gun and he'll use it. Knives are harder work and just as effective but are too cheap.The NRA is funded by the gun makers as the pro smoking lobby by the cigarette firms. Brainwashing - don't make me laugh!
Good points, well made, John.Here's an equally interesting set of statistics, the number of firearm-related deaths: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...ated_death_rateand this, comparing prisoner populations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Prisoner...R_2007_2008.PNG . Mark

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

John, I am sorry you do not remember but you did and you said that it surprised you. I am sure if you search back on "another forum" then you will find it.Anyway, I am really tired of discussing all this and I really do not care what anti gun people think. Please reread my question above and if you or anyone else can contribute answers to that, then I am interested in seeing that and only that , and I do not wish to waste any more of my tiime debating the gun issue because I have my opinion and you have yours and you and other people from non gun counties are not going to change my mind and I am not going to waste anymore time trying to change yours.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

PARTY POOPER ......................

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

John, here is your post. You will note your comment that it came as a shock to you that the UK total crimes was much higher than the US. I am only posting this because you said you did not remember it and I do not wish to debate the issue. Please lets get back on topic of the original questions asked and for those of you who want to gripe about guns, feel free to start another thread. http://www.another forum.com/ipb/inde...ost&p=42874DEFINITION: Total recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence. Per capita figures expressed per 1,000 population. This came as a shock! Total Crime Victims1 Australia: 30.1% #2 New Zealand: 29.4% #3 United Kingdom: 26.4% #4 Netherlands: 25.2% #5 Sweden: 24.7% #6 Italy: 24.6% #7 Canada: 23.8% #8 Saint Kitts and Nevis: 23.2% #9 Malta: 23.1% #10 Denmark: 23% #11 Poland: 22.7% #12 Belgium: 21.4% #13 France: 21.4% #14 Slovenia: 21.2% #15 United States: 21.1% #16 Finland: 19.1% #17 Austria: 18.8% #18 Switzerland: 18.2% #19 Portugal: 15.5% #20 Japan: 15.2% Weighted average: 22.4%here are newer figures http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_...imes-per-capita

Edited by Mr. Lee
to add link on the at bottom

retired
Posted
Posted
I am pondering buying a gun here or bringing a gun over from the states to keep in our apartment and to go target shooting with. Two things come to mind,1) are there any good target ranges in Cebu at least 50 feet to the target because I like shooting handguns at 50 feet?2) does anyone know how I would go about legally bringing a couple of our handguns here from the USA?My wife is a Filipina and she has a few guns of her own back in the states and is a pretty good shot. We both have permit to carry there and it would sure be nice if we could bring over a few of our guns legally before we move here.
Hi Lee ,I am not personally into guns but did meet a gun dealer from South Carolina here in CDO one time and if i am not mistaken he brought weapons in . For sure i know he took them out but he had a thing about WW11 issues and apparently they are plentiful here . SugarwareZ-004.gif Now , maybe he didn't have a problem since he was a dealer but if you pm me i will try and put you in touch with him as he and his family are now stateside .

Mik
Posted
Posted
... 2) does anyone know how I would go about legally bringing a couple of our handguns here from the USA? ...
I know that a private individual like yourself can't ship a firearm within the US unless you have a gun dealer ship it for you to another gun dealer or to a law enforcement agency. Perhaps the same procedure applies to shipping from US to Philippines. Maybe a US gun dealer could ship firearms to a gun dealer in Cebu. No doubt there is a ton of red tape to accomplish along with import duties. It might be simpler to give your firearms to your US relatives and buy again here in Cebu. The downside is that prices are higher here and you won't have your old firearms with their sentimental value. I gave all my guns to my two sons before moving here.Crime rates increase when law-abiding citizens are unable to protect themselves. Firearms prohibition and restrictions only benefit criminals.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am pondering buying a gun here or bringing a gun over from the states to keep in our apartment and to go target shooting with. Two things come to mind,1) are there any good target ranges in Cebu at least 50 feet to the target because I like shooting handguns at 50 feet?2) does anyone know how I would go about legally bringing a couple of our handguns here from the USA?My wife is a Filipina and she has a few guns of her own back in the states and is a pretty good shot. We both have permit to carry there and it would sure be nice if we could bring over a few of our guns legally before we move here.
Hi Lee ,I am not personally into guns but did meet a gun dealer from South Carolina here in CDO one time and if i am not mistaken he brought weapons in . For sure i know he took them out but he had a thing about WW11 issues and apparently they are plentiful here . SugarwareZ-004.gif Now , maybe he didn't have a problem since he was a dealer but if you pm me i will try and put you in touch with him as he and his family are now stateside .
Thanks Alan, I will get with you when we get to CDO hopefully later this month.