Gun Ownership In The Philippines

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Lee,My wife will be renewing her gun permit next month, she renews the permit via the gun dealer where the weapon was purchased, I'll ask her to inquire about the procedure for shipping guns in from overseas, John

Edited by johnb

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
... 2) does anyone know how I would go about legally bringing a couple of our handguns here from the USA? ...
I know that a private individual like yourself can't ship a firearm within the US unless you have a gun dealer ship it for you to another gun dealer or to a law enforcement agency. Perhaps the same procedure applies to shipping from US to Philippines. Maybe a US gun dealer could ship firearms to a gun dealer in Cebu. No doubt there is a ton of red tape to accomplish along with import duties. It might be simpler to give your firearms to your US relatives and buy again here in Cebu. The downside is that prices are higher here and you won't have your old firearms with their sentimental value. I gave all my guns to my two sons before moving here.Crime rates increase when law-abiding citizens are unable to protect themselves. Firearms prohibition and restrictions only benefit criminals.
Thanks Mike, I may have to sell them off and buy new ones here...... I do not have any children to give them to and we have about 20 or so guns so selling them might bring in more money for us and we could use that money to buy a couple of guns here and have some left over......At one time when I was in the business, I used to have many times that amount but I have been selling off any that I do not shoot and can live without and now we are down to the ones we love and hate to part with. ......I really hate to sell off our Glocks and Browning high Powers which both Nila and I have for each of us and we know those cannot be easily bought here, but if we have to then we have to.......Nila also has a S&W 32 Magnum titanium that she likes to carry with a laser grip and it would be hard to duplicate that one here too. .....I know we can bring the grips because I brought a pair for a .45 a few years back but I also do not know if lasers are legal here or not......I asked a police buddy in CDO and one in Manila and a few others higher ups that I know but they did not know either and the rules seem to change from city to city and island to island and no one seems to be able to tell me what is legal and what is not......Anyway, both the wife and I love to target shoot and we would both hate to give that up.......Maybe I will let a friend keep the few that I do not wish to part with and we can use them whenever we go back to the states......Or maybe my original idea of keeping a place there might be a good idea, or maybe we will just have to continue to share time between here and there because I do not wish to give up my freedoms and rights just to move here......Time will tell.....and to those of you who will ask, yes my rights mean more to me than to live here without them, so no guns, no move.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted
John, here is your post. You will note your comment that it came as a shock to you that the UK total crimes was much higher than the US. I am only posting this because you said you did not remember it and I do not wish to debate the issue. Please lets get back on topic of the original questions asked and for those of you who want to gripe about guns, feel free to start another thread. http://www.another forum.com/ipb/inde...ost&p=42874DEFINITION: Total recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm. Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence. Per capita figures expressed per 1,000 population. This came as a shock! Total Crime Victims1 Australia: 30.1% #2 New Zealand: 29.4% #3 United Kingdom: 26.4% #4 Netherlands: 25.2% #5 Sweden: 24.7% #6 Italy: 24.6% #7 Canada: 23.8% #8 Saint Kitts and Nevis: 23.2% #9 Malta: 23.1% #10 Denmark: 23% #11 Poland: 22.7% #12 Belgium: 21.4% #13 France: 21.4% #14 Slovenia: 21.2% #15 United States: 21.1% #16 Finland: 19.1% #17 Austria: 18.8% #18 Switzerland: 18.2% #19 Portugal: 15.5% #20 Japan: 15.2% Weighted average: 22.4%here are newer figures http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_...imes-per-capita
Lee, that crimes, not gun crimes.

Markham
Posted
Posted
Crime rates increase when law-abiding citizens are unable to protect themselves. Firearms prohibition and restrictions only benefit criminals.
Mike, if you follow the links John Rainey and I posted above (#13 and #14), you'll see that your assertion is is not borne out by the facts. Lee's rather unsuccessful attempt to prove his case by quoting figures provided elsewhere by John which would suggest the opposite, is disingenuous since they are the total crime figures which include all forms of non-violent crime. If your response to this is that gun-ownership reduces crimes like corporate fraud, then I simply wouldnt believe you - Madeoff is an American, no?! :)Mark

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Hi Lee,My wife will be renewing her gun permit next month, she renews the permit via the gun dealer where the weapon was purchased, I'll ask her to inquire about the procedure for shipping guns in from overseas, John
Thank you John

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Lee, that crimes, not gun crimes.
John, if you look up at my post you will see that I did not say guns and here is the part of my quote that I mentioned you."by none other than John Rainy in a similar discussion on the other forum that the UK without any guns is more dangerous than the US with guns, because they just use knives or bats or pipes to kill or maim people, so the problem is not the tool but the people who use the tools and since you mentioned it, guns do not kill people, people who use the guns kill people, just like pencils do not make mistakes but the people who hold them do." The fact is that the UK is has more crime and is therefore more dangerous than the US with all its guns. People are responsible for committing crimes and not guns. The guns are just tools and do not get up and shoot people by themselves, so punish the people who commit the crimes and do not try to blame it on guns or you need to ban pipes, knives, sticks, rocks, screwdrivers, hammers and just about anything else that could kill or hurt a person.

Markham
Posted
Posted
The fact is that the UK is has more crime and is therefore more dangerous than the US with all its guns.
You're assuming - wrongly - that all crime is by its very nature violent and involves guns, knives and other offensively-used weapons. One of the most common (reported) crimes is shop-lifting, a big problem in London and often carried-out by female non-British nationals. 99.9999% of all shop-liftings are completely non-violent. Fraud, tax evasion, using a mobile phone whilst driving, money-laundering, prostitution, photographing sensitive sites and driving a car at 100 miles per hour are all reportable offences - crimes - but none of them is in any way violent nor do they make the UK a less safe place than the US. I did speak with a lawyer friend who told me that you won't be able to bring your own firearms here as you won't be granted the permits and import licences. He added that, in his view, it is not wise for any foreigner to have a firearm in his home. He suggested that you check-out the range in Mactan. Alternatively, James and the two Matts (on "another forum") regularly go to play Airsoft (Mandaue?).

Mik
Posted
Posted

You can't change American tradition:11.jpg

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Alternatively, James and the two Matt's (on "another forum") regularly go to play Air soft (Mandaue).
Thanks for the info Mark, I guess I will not be moving here full time until or if the laws change. Moving has been my wife's idea and I was just trying to make her happy. Filipinos who live in the states can own guns and if it is not reciprocal, then I can spend my money in the states and just spend a month or two a year here.

Markham
Posted
Posted
You can't change American tradition:11.jpg
Oh! I didn't realise it was an American custom to walk around the Arizona desert wearing suspenders looking for a horse to rustle! :thumbsup: :th_grouphug: