Gun Ownership In The Philippines

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I could be wrong but I don't believe it is true since rights accorded by the US Constitution only apply to US Citizens, not to "aliens". Be that as it may, life is seldom fair and countries often don't reciprocate right for right. For example, you and I can come to the Philippines whenever we wish without having to apply for a visa, whereas a Filipino who can afford the travel still has to apply for a visa to come to our two countries.Mark
You have to have legal resident status in the US to legally own guns, but you don't need to be a citizen. Aside from voting and a few others, all constitutional rights and protections are available to anyone who is physically present in the US, regardless of their immigration status or citizenship.

Markham
Posted
Posted
I could be wrong but I don't believe it is true since rights accorded by the US Constitution only apply to US Citizens, not to "aliens". Be that as it may, life is seldom fair and countries often don't reciprocate right for right. For example, you and I can come to the Philippines whenever we wish without having to apply for a visa, whereas a Filipino who can afford the travel still has to apply for a visa to come to our two countries.Mark
You have to have legal resident status in the US to legally own guns, but you don't need to be a citizen. Aside from voting and a few others, all constitutional rights and protections are available to anyone who is physically present in the US, regardless of their immigration status or citizenship.
Possibly things have changed in the 15 years since I successfully applied for a "Green Card". At my interview I was informed of what my new rights - as a permanent resident - would be and the interviewer specifically mentioned that gun ownership was not one that I could (legally) enjoy.Mark

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
Possibly things have changed in the 15 years since I successfully applied for a "Green Card". At my interview I was informed of what my new rights - as a permanent resident - would be and the interviewer specifically mentioned that gun ownership was not one that I could (legally) enjoy.Mark
I do not know about all states but the federal law allows green card holders to buy guns. They must present 90 days worth of bills to prove that they actually live in the state they claim to live in, their green card and a drivers license or resident ID card and they can buy as many guns as they wish for personal use. That law has been on the books for many years now and goes back to at least the early 90's. Also a little unknown law is that anyone in the USA and living in a right to own state, can get a hunting license and purchase a hunting type of gun, yes I said anyone, even a visitor and they do not define in the federal law what a hunting type of gun would be, so they can buy any handgun or rifle that a person might use to hunt with.Now before anyone even thinks about challenging what I said here, I was a licensed gun dealer in the state of Florida up until a few years ago and I still have friends who are licensed gun dealers who keep me abreast of the laws, and they have not changed as of late, so what I have stated is valid in many states. Edited by Mr. Lee
fix error

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Hummmmm ... never could understand why someone would wear suspenders and a belt ........ maybe just being doubly cautious ......... but I can honestly say I never lost my pants to date ...... unless I wanted to ....... hahahahaha
Yes how can you trust someone who doesn't trust his own pants.On the other hand maybe he is just distributing the load. :)

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://www.pctc.gov.ph/laws/basicFA.htmBASIC FIREARMS LAWS, RULES AND REGULATIONS

1. Applicable provisions of Republic Act No. 8294 Section 1 of Presidential Decree No. 1866 as amended, is hereby further amended to read as follows:
Edited by M.Morey

Markham
Posted
Posted
I do not know about all states but the federal law allows green card holders to buy guns. They must present 90 days worth of bills to prove that they actually live in the state they claim to live in, their green card and a drivers license or resident ID card and they can buy as many guns as they wish for personal use. That law has been on the books for many years now and goes back to at least the early 90's. Also a little unknown law is that anyone in the USA and living in a right to own state, can get a hunting license and purchase a hunting type of gun, yes I said anyone, even a visitor and they do not define in the federal law what a hunting type of gun would be, so they can buy any handgun or rifle that a person might use to hunt with.Now before anyone even thinks about challenging what I said here, I was a licensed gun dealer in the state of Florida up until a few years ago and I still have friends who are licensed gun dealers who keep me abreast of the laws, and they have not changed as of late, so what I have stated is valid in many states.
I don't doubt what you say, Lee. Maybe the Immigration official who interviewed me in Tampa wasn't up to speed on all the regulations. Anyway, it's a moot point as I gave up my Green Card on moving back to the UK at the end of 1998 to avoid the tax double-jeopardy. "Green Card" is a complete misnomer seeing as it's actually pink!Without wishing to sound in any way critical, I am a tad surprised that the Federal Government did not ban the holding of firearms by "aliens" as part of its overall strengthening of internal security in the aftermath of the terrible events of 9/11. Just an observation!Mark

Markham
Posted
Posted
Hummmmm ... never could understand why someone would wear suspenders and a belt ........ maybe just being doubly cautious ......... but I can honestly say I never lost my pants to date ...... unless I wanted to ....... hahahahaha
Yes how can you trust someone who doesn't trust his own pants.On the other hand maybe he is just distributing the load. :)
Are you sure they are his pants? :)Mark

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted (edited)
Most crimes commited in the UK are by foreigners
Not wishing to think you are xenphobic I assume you can provide proof for that racist statment. Edited by johnrxx99

brock
Posted
Posted

John,I am not racist, its a fact, in my home town out of 100 crimes commited in a period of two weeks 87% were by foreigners who had arrived in the UK within the last 5 years, In my home town their is a pub with a sign in the window saying, ( No English allowed ) and nothing was done about it.What would happen if you put a sign saying No foreigners allowed, well you know what would happen.England is not English any more, if you get my meaning.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Yes how can you trust someone who doesn't trust his own pants.
Are you sure they are his pants? :) Mark
That is an assumption that I am not willing to investigate further. :) The cards used to be green many years ago. Now even though the color has changed they still call it that.