Military Passenger Flights?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey all!

This may sound like a dumb question - and it probably is - but you know the old saying... No question is dumb unless you don't ask it! So... Back in the time that I retired from the Canadian Armed Forces, retired service personnel could not fly on our own military passenger flights (as we didn't have any) but could fly using reciprocating countries flights (ie: I could hop on an American Service flight under the same benefits as a retired American serviceman's benefits). Does anyone know if retirees are still allowed this benefit in the US? And, if so, is there a scheduled service to Asia still? If they are - and there is, then I can try and find out if I can possibly take advantage of a low fare to the Philippines - maybe...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I have no direct knowledge of sister services using american MAC flights. I do know that MAC (military airlift command) has a facebook page for each terminal and you can google the rules and regulations. Sadly the closest you will get to the Phil is Osan Airbase in South Korea.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have no direct knowledge of sister services using american MAC flights. I do know that MAC (military airlift command) has a facebook page for each terminal and you can google the rules and regulations. Sadly the closest you will get to the Phil is Osan Airbase in South Korea.

Thanks Scott! It sure is a lot cheaper to fly to the Philippines from South Korea than from Toronto... hehe! I'll have to go into the evilness I try to avoid (Facebook) to find their pages! And, then, if it's viable, contact my retired service personnel's office to confirm if it's still doable!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My son (active USMC) says there are no USAF flights to Philippines an active service member can use to visit other than official business.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

My son (active USMC) says there are no USAF flights to Philippines an active service member can use to visit other than official business.

I'm not sure if I explained what I am looking for properly... When I was active in the Service in Canada, I could book on US military flights (can't remember if it was standby or if I booked an actual seat) to travel on my own time - and I did several times! When I retired (many years ago), that benefit was still available for me. But I was wondering - as it's been quite a while and times change - if those of us who are retired can still fly on US military flights? I don't have to fly to the Philippines but it would be nice if I could get across that big pond to somewhere that would be cheaper for the rest of the trip! Taiwan, Guam, Saudi... heck of a lot closer than Canada! And even if I, as a Canadian, have lost the benefit of flying on American military flights, maybe retired American service personnel can and thus save themselves a few bucks on their way to paradise!

As a strange note, I laughed when I was doing my retirement seminars over this... After retirement I could still fly on American service flights but not on Canadian service flights... Remember - I'm Canadian... hehe!

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if I explained what I am looking for properly... When I was active in the Service in Canada, I could book on US military flights (can't remember if it was standby or if I booked an actual seat) to travel on my own time - and I did several times! When I retired (many years ago), that benefit was still available for me. But I was wondering - as it's been quite a while and times change - if those of us who are retired can still fly on US military flights? I don't have to fly to the Philippines but it would be nice if I could get across that big pond to somewhere that would be cheaper for the rest of the trip! Taiwan, Guam, Saudi... heck of a lot closer than Canada! And even if I, as a Canadian, have lost the benefit of flying on American military flights, maybe retired American service personnel can and thus save themselves a few bucks on their way to paradise!

As a strange note, I laughed when I was doing my retirement seminars over this... After retirement I could still fly on American service flights but not on Canadian service flights... Remember - I'm Canadian... hehe!

OK Bob, now you have peaked my interest about Space A (space available) travel. Here is their website:

http://www.amc.af.mi...ravel/index.asp Air Mobility Command Travel Center (use to be called MAC -- military

airlift command). As retired vets with family members, we could travel as category 6. There are many Far

East destination from Travis AFB in California, including Australia. We could be at Tom's door this weekend,

drinking his beer and chasing all the Sheilas......he, he.

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
There are many Far East destination from Travis AFB in California, including Australia. We could be at Tom's door this weekend, drinking his beer and chasing all the Sheilas......he, he.

I always wondered what an Australian Shelia was, I found this description:

"Sheila/Shela/Sheelagh is thought to be of Irish origins, and is related to the Gaelic (Irish) name Sile, which usually translates as Julia, or Cecilia.

Thought to have been imported with Irish convicts, it is also thought to have been at one stage a derogatory name for homosexuals." :mocking:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
There are many Far East destination from Travis AFB in California, including Australia. We could be at Tom's door this weekend, drinking his beer and chasing all the Sheilas......he, he.

I always wondered what an Australian Shelia was, I found this description:

"Sheila/Shela/Sheelagh is thought to be of Irish origins, and is related to the Gaelic (Irish) name Sile, which usually translates as Julia, or Cecilia.

Thought to have been imported with Irish convicts, it is also thought to have been at one stage a derogatory name for homosexuals." :mocking:

And here is an instructional video on how to speak Aussie:

• Like 3

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

A year ago I tried to get a flight out of Clark. There was still one guy there, handling Space-A requests. I think his name was john and his number is (6345)4997279.or cell number 63-920-970-5030 , I talked to him about 4 differant times and he was very helpful in trying to get a space-A flight out of there. He said there are about 6 flights a week out of Clark that service the American military in Philippines. Some are smaller planes. I could have gotten a flight to japan but it left a week before i wanted to go back so i missed it. They usually fly to Japan or Okinawa.

I have flown space-A about 6 times over the years. Always with the national guard air refueling wing that is based out of the airport near where i live in U.S..4 times to hawaii once to Arizona and once to Alaska. They are always most accomidating, and i flew back on same plane when they completed their mission in a few days.

Here are some links that may help - http://www2.mozcom.c...br/raonews1.htm http://spacea.net/me...ace-A_Locations

http://www.amc.af.mi...ravel/index.asp http://spacea.net/me...title=Clark_IAP

post-1341-0-56033900-1337786351_thumb.jp

Edited by jode
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

A year ago I tried to get a flight out of Clark. There was still one guy there, handling Space-A requests. I think his name was john and his number is (6345)4997279. I talked to him about 4 differant times and he was very helpful in trying to get a space-A flight out of there. He said there are about 6 flights a week out of Clark that service the American military in Philippines. Some are smaller planes. I could have gotten a flight to japan but it left a week before i wanted to go back so i missed it. They usually fly to Japan or Okinawa.

I have flown space-A about 6 times over the years. Always with the national guard air refueling wing that is based out of the airport near where i live in U.S..4 times to hawaii once to Arizona and once to Alaska. They are always most accomidating, and i flew back on same plane when they completed their mission in a few days.

This is very helpful! Thank you for posting this information. :thumbsup: :tiphat:

My son is stationed on Okie but I think he is in the Philippines on business at the moment.

It would be nice if he could get a space A flight and join us this summer!

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1