Internet Dating Safety Bill In Illinois Passes Legislature, Goes To Governor

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those of you like me who use dating websites to find that special someone... isn't it great that government is there to protect us control our personal life?

:wt-hell:

The bill

would create the “Internet Dating Safety Act,” requiring that Internet dating services either conduct criminal background checks on all their members, or post online warnings specifying that they don’t conduct such screenings.

Link to Story from St. Louis Post Dispatch

Update Link to story, Thanks MikeB.

Edited by earthdome

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I think the article was removed from your link. Here's another, same story.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I think the article was removed from your link. Here's another, same story.

Thank you for fixing the link!

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

As long as they leave an out like the label on a cigarette pack "warning ... smoking can cause cancer" ..... they will be OK and no one will pay attention to it anyway .... it just gives an out to someone trying to sue the website ..... the website can say "see we told you so" ..... by the way I think the law is stupid ...... maybe next they can pass a law making shopping networks to have a message ..... "caution .... buying items will reduce your income" ....... :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

If I marry what seems like a nice girl and she turns out to be a psycho bitch can I sue the dating website? We need protection from psychos too. I hope we can regulate every breath we take... it would make it so much simpler... :thumbsup:

Maybe we should just ban the internet?

gottawannalive
Posted
Posted

This concept has been around for a few years now after the Feds enacted IMBRA (International Marriage Brokers Regulation Act) notwithstanding the fact that dating sites are not marriage brokers. Illinois is spinning their proposed legislation off of IMBRA. Utterly ridiculous.

• 1 year later...
gwenie
Posted
Posted

I notice mostly guys are posting here. As a woman I appreciate background checks.  I do them myself when I begin to get suspicious all is not as it is supposed to be with a potential date.  I have met some wonderful men and then there were the others...oh, dear!  

My late husband who I met on the internet was from South Africa.  I, being born and raised in the PI, have a different view of life than many American born and bred women; and he loved my "attitude".  Now several years after his death, I look again for a late in life love.  I think women are very vulnerable and need the protection of background checks on potential dates.  eHarmony does that routinely.