$3500 Usd Transfer

simplymikee
Posted
Posted

I now have an account at a major Phil bank. They told me it takes like 3 weeks to clear a check from my American bank. And I am not even sure I trust a Phil bank with this amount of money.

I need to get $3500 from USA to me. I have relative in USA who can assist but I hate to burden her.

What is the cheapest safest way to transfer this amount so it gets into my hands. Also last time I checked the limit on USA to foreign transfers was 5,000 USD. Some banks were limiting it to 2,000.

I don't want to wait 3 weeks, so what are my options?

The money transfer services are pretty outrageous in what they charge and they too may have limits, plus you have to give them your SSA number which I'd rather not do. Any useful advice from past experience most appreciated. Ditto electronic bank transfers. I checked with one recommended method IREMIT but they do not have USA office and they do not even answer their emails.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

No cheap way that I know of but, in a situation like yours, I once had to phone my bank manager back home and explain that I needed her to send a wire transfer from my Cdn bank to my Phil bank. Fortunately I had sat down with the bank manager before leaving Canada so I had a good rapport with her.

This method cost me $50 for the wire transfer and I got a lousy exchange rate but the money arrived within a week. An alternative would be to use the 'grey market' check cashers who would charge you up to 20% for the risk they are taking. Any other way I can think of would take up to 3 weeks to set it up and get the cash.

samatm
Posted
Posted

I would place a phone call to your personal banker at your US bank and ask her to assist you with the Intl transfer to your RP bank. I used BoA and 10 years ago it cost about 50 bucks. There may be difficulties involved like assuring your bank your are you etc.. but it can be done.

samatm
Posted
Posted

No cheap way that I know of but, in a situation like yours, I once had to phone my bank manager back home and explain that I needed her to send a wire transfer from my Cdn bank to my Phil bank. Fortunately I had sat down with the bank manager before leaving Canada so I had a good rapport with her.

This method cost me $50 for the wire transfer and I got a lousy exchange rate but the money arrived within a week. An alternative would be to use the 'grey market' check cashers who would charge you up to 20% for the risk they are taking. Any other way I can think of would take up to 3 weeks to set it up and get the cash.

LOL you posted about 20 secs before me.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

For what it's worth I have written quite a few checks worth $4000 to my bank in the US with no problem what so ever and the money deposited in my Phil account ..... except of course the waiting time ..... if you are using an established bank here you should have no problems ..... some of the providential banks could fold but most of the large banks with good backing are OK .....

The only limit for money transfers that I know of is if you transfer more than $9999 out of the US you will have to declare it to the IRS .... (unless the firm doing the sending has a limit) ...... solution ..... send smaller amounts each month until you get it all moved ..... oh .... and that is not illegal ..... just remember if you keep more than $9999 in any or all of your accounts combined at any time during the year you must fill out a separate form and send it to the IRS ..... just to a Google as there is lots of info on the subject and the laws change like a hooker changes underwear ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: .... banking in a foreign country from the US can be just loads of fun ..... :nudie:

• Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted

You Might want to take a look at Xoom. There fee is pretty cheap and the exchange rate is about as good an anywhere else for a money transfer but certainly not as good as you can get at a money changer. If you happened to open up a dollar account at your Phil. bank then you might not have suffer from the lose in the exchange rate since you will be able to transfer dollar to dollar account.

Link

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
You Might want to take a look at Xoom

Even though I do not like XOOM personally, I also thought he might use them. However, he wants 3,500 and XOOM says:

As soon as you sign up, you can send up to $2,999 per 30-day period

(Which has actually gone up from the days when I used to be a customer and they limited you to 1,000 for the first 30 days)

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
You Might want to take a look at Xoom

Even though I do not like XOOM personally, I also thought he might use them. However, he wants 3,500 and XOOM says:

As soon as you sign up, you can send up to $2,999 per 30-day period

(Which has actually gone up from the days when I used to be a customer and they limited you to 1,000 for the first 30 days)

Once you establish yourself with them, you can send up to 6,000 in 30 days. (2,999 x 2 transactions).

Americano
Posted
Posted

With RemitHome you can send up to USD $1,000 per day for a fee of $10. each transfer and there's no monthly limit. Its very fast and easy the make the transfer and delivery is guaranteed. I've been using the service for many years with no problems. Check out their website at remithome.com

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

I use xoom $3000 $5.99 $6,000 per month