Disabled Driver Using Hand-Controls

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

My questions can people in wheelchair are allow to adapt their vehicle to drive in the Philippines.

Yes

You can see an example in my "No Disability" video. Copy and paste this link into your browser to download it.

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/videos/no_disability.wmv

The vehicle in the video was converted in Cebu City.

Nice video Jim. Shows that anythings possible.I trier the Hand cycle in Maui, have to say that i personally didnt like it. (im a motorhead). i just built a sidecar rig with electric shift, and used a secoundary master cylinder with proportioning valves to stabilize brake pressure to all three wheels , lots of space in the sidecar for the alloy chair and my pup. Rode it that way in Maui. Hawaii for 2 years. Now that im home in the PH. i just bought a stainless steel Jeep and hired a full time driver. Am thinking of building another HACK. for here in the PH. if i can find a good electric start bike over 350cc. tanks ej.

post-1250-0-47308200-1343882569_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I would like to also suggest to BOSSMAAN or Jollygoodfellow,to open a topic or area in the forum for Persons With Disabelities. so us disabled people can keep others informed about accesability and what to expect in the Philippines.

Done, finally :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I would like to also suggest to BOSSMAAN or Jollygoodfellow,to open a topic or area in the forum for Persons With Disabelities. so us disabled people can keep others informed about accesability and what to expect in the Philippines.

Done, finally :thumbsup:

How Odd this is, After what happened to me in April. I have only today, after posting to Wayne, come to realise. I Am a person with a disability, so for me this is good. thank you JGF. :tiphat:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Everybody has a disability of some kind...

My daughter proved this to me when she was quite young! People would walk up to us in the malls upon seeing my cute little 3 year old in her wheelchair and, ignoring her, go on to say how sorry they were that she was "in a wheelchair"... She would promptly look at the person and reply (my favourite was) "i'm so sorry you have to use glasses!"`

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
KunHo
Posted
Posted

Are there any drivers (disabled and non-disabled) that drive in the Philippines without a driving licence? Is it common to drive without one?

Curley
Posted
Posted
All I know is I can't feel my legs (hardly) at all any more and my right hand shakes so bad that I sometimes have to eat and drink with my other hand... And that I may end up in a wheelchair or maybe not!

I have a similar thing with my lower legs and feet and at times I get an annoying pain from them which is particularly bad if I'm stressed. The hospital told me that my nerves were "dying" and that they were like the nerves of a very old man. I find they are worse if I sit for long periods or if I walk long distances, say 7 or 8 miles. I have found that resting on the bed with my feet in the air against the wall for 5 mins, 2 or 3 times a day helps as does drinking wheatgrass juice, eating alfalfa (lucerne to some) and chia seeds when I can get any of those..... alfalfa I get from a healthfood shop and grow myself, it only takes 5 days from sowing to ready to eat. I do remember you saying that veg are very expensive where you live, it may well pay you to look at growing alfalfa, a 200 gram box of seed costs about $5 and lasts for months giving lots of goodness to lots of meals.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Are there any drivers (disabled and non-disabled) that drive in the Philippines without a driving licence? Is it common to drive without one?

We don't recommend anyone to break the law and if they are we don't recommend they advertise it. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
BooBoo
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys!

Can you keep us informed of the issues you run across due to any disabilities?

I was retired from the Air Force with a medical pension due to the fact that I have something without even a name... All I know is I can't feel my legs (hardly) at all any more and my right hand shakes so bad that I sometimes have to eat and drink with my other hand... And that I may end up in a wheelchair or maybe not! I'm living with the desire to remain the way I am but nobody can tell me what tomorrow will bring - especially the doctors. I am familiar with wheelchair use - my daughter was born a paraplegic (Spina Bifida, Hydrocephalus, etc) so I have an idea but...

Greetings! I have little feeling in my right hand also. It is from reduced blood flow due to blocked veighns. I also am diabetic, and have neurophty, or loss of nerves due to high blood suger levels. Have you been checked for diabetes? They use ultra sound to check blood flow. Good luck..

I live in Cebu, it has handy park in the big malls, and at other places. It has very poor street and side walks. If you need a chair in the mall, you can not get in the LTO office, it is too small for a chair.

LTO south is where you convert your licens, it is a very difficult area to walk in also.

Housing is NOT handy friendly, too many changes in elevations in avarage house, they love steps!

I am building a disabled house for me from roll formed steel, should be done by March I pray, then life will be much easeyer.

I see spell check not work here eather!

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey Guys!

Can you keep us informed of the issues you run across due to any disabilities?

I was retired from the Air Force with a medical pension due to the fact that I have something without even a name... All I know is I can't feel my legs (hardly) at all any more and my right hand shakes so bad that I sometimes have to eat and drink with my other hand... And that I may end up in a wheelchair or maybe not! I'm living with the desire to remain the way I am but nobody can tell me what tomorrow will bring - especially the doctors. I am familiar with wheelchair use - my daughter was born a paraplegic (Spina Bifida, Hydrocephalus, etc) so I have an idea but...

Greetings! I have little feeling in my right hand also. It is from reduced blood flow due to blocked veighns. I also am diabetic, and have neurophty, or loss of nerves due to high blood suger levels. Have you been checked for diabetes? They use ultra sound to check blood flow. Good luck..

I live in Cebu, it has handy park in the big malls, and at other places. It has very poor street and side walks. If you need a chair in the mall, you can not get in the LTO office, it is too small for a chair.

LTO south is where you convert your licens, it is a very difficult area to walk in also.

Housing is NOT handy friendly, too many changes in elevations in avarage house, they love steps!

I am building a disabled house for me from roll formed steel, should be done by March I pray, then life will be much easeyer.

Thanks for the info!  Even though most people would be less mobile than I am, I refuse to slow down and use a chair, crutches or cane.  Heck, I even try to run sometimes and I am considering getting back into some sport where I am not running long distances.  It won't be easy but that is just the way I am. (I have been checked for diabetes and. as best we can tell, I only feel like I am diabetic if somebody puts sugar in my coffee...)  At the moment I am trying to lose weight again to see if that will help  me with my balance,  A few years ago I was down to 175 lbs and I was even going for short jogs and bike rides.  Then I had to give them both up when I went through heart failure a couple times.  Now my heart is much better (slight arrhythmia but strong) so I want to get back out and try the good stuff again.  I don't know how many years I'll be able to keep going so...  Heck, if I listened to the doctors, I would have died several times now, been a vegetable at least 3 times and never walked again 4 times that I can remember.  And that doesn't include the times I was thought to be lost at sea (pushed over the back of the ship while towing an aircraft out of the hanger) or in an "almost" aircraft crash into the side of a mountain...  As I said when I was 18 when I joined the military, I'll say again today - I AM INDESTRUCTIBLE!  And because of that I am still going.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Unfortunately, there is no built-in spellchecker. Check if your browser has one. I just Enabled mine for Chrome: Settings>Advanced Settings>Privacy>Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors.

• Like 1